Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:14:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Greatest bug in MMORPG history? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest bug in MMORPG history?  (Read 5182 times)
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

on: June 29, 2005, 08:34:51 PM

Well, it has to be close.

Seeing as how the Dreamweave damage stacking bug was fixed a day or so after being posted here, I'm posting this command that allows you to instantly win CTF games in the hope that someone at Blizzard reads this and hotfixes it [because you guys dont read your general forums]

/script BattlefieldFrame_EnterBattlefield()

You get the other teams flag, type that command and boom you're back in your flag room ready to cap.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15361

I held back on posting it until it was hotfixed this evening because of that thread.  It's just mind boggling that a bug like that could get through accidentally.  I want to believe that it was intentional.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 09:10:02 PM

As much as I loved the first release of Diablo I and II. And Warcraft II for that matter. This is typical Blizzard QA suckage.

It's only fitting that the word Battlefield is in the rogue script string.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 09:28:40 PM

Killing Lord British in UO ranks up there though that was a Beta version.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 09:35:11 PM

Killing Lord British in UO ranks up there though that was a Beta version.

That was "all in fun."

There's nothing "fun" about the bug posted above. That's exploitcity and anyone who used it should be banned and fucking fined, irl.
Abel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 01:05:49 AM

The platinum(?) scarab vendor bug from Asheron's Call still reigns supreme as greatest bug in MMORPG history.

You could buy 100 of the most expensive items in the game for the price of 1 simply with the click of a button, repeat it till your inventory was full and then sell it all back.

The bug spread through the community like fire and within only a few days everyone was a multi-millionare and ACs economy was totally wrecked. Then followed the roll-back of course ...
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 07:16:07 AM

In UO, Wasn't there some sort of weird house looting bug where you could go through the walls and loot everything (in the house looting days) manipulating barrels or something?  That would seem to trump either this or the scarab thing for lasting effect...losing all your crap is worse than a rollback or losing a CTF battleground match.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 07:59:08 AM

Ah, the house loot bug. Many a griefer episode was made off the back of that little gem.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 08:47:19 AM

In UO, Wasn't there some sort of weird house looting bug where you could go through the walls and loot everything (in the house looting days) manipulating barrels or something?  That would seem to trump either this or the scarab thing for lasting effect...losing all your crap is worse than a rollback or losing a CTF battleground match.

There were tons of those bugs for months. If barrels were lined up where you would step off your boat, the game bumped you ahead a tile. If the line of barrels went up to a wall, the game bumped you through the wall. You could also build stairs out of mushrooms and climb over the walls..

I personally just prefered hiding inside the bank and stealing runes/keys from the guys banking on the roof, thinking they were safe. Pickpocket required that you be only one tile away, but one tile underneath counted the same way.

The AC plat bug was the only one I ever experienced that required that major of a rollback.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 08:49:20 AM

May I offer the turbo-healing mobs of AO's infamous 12.6 patch to the contest? Except that one was bad for the players.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 10:11:28 AM

I never saw that bug in action so not many people must have figured it out, and it was patched asap so i dont see how it qualifies as greatest of all time.

I am the .00000001428%
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 10:57:52 AM

It's surely not the greatest in terms of impact.  But an overt cheat code that you can just type in to win seems so very egregious to me.  It's not some "hit x then y while casting spell z next to a wall to ghost through" like most are.  It's "type the cheat code to cheat."

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 11:31:31 AM

Who would have known. There really WAS an "I Win" button.
chinslim
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 02:34:56 PM

Until a corpse-popping bug shows up in WoW, no bug or exploit will ever compare to the whoppers UO had.  And they were WHOPPERS.

-A way for PKs to gain enough faction to enter towns again simply by donating 1 penny at a time to an NPC
-Multiple methods of house break-ins
-1 hit kill Magic Missiles(the lowest rank spell in the game)
-etc etc

I remember one time when they no longer allowed players to store their house keys on vendors.  So unless you got your key off, anyone would be able to buy your key off your vendor at a nominal house once the patch went live.  When the patch went live, it was a race for the keys.  But the servers kept crashing and time-warping all night, until it got to the point where I had to go to sleep for work the next morning.  I lost everything, of course.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 03:14:40 PM

AO also had the oops we made a % based damage reflection spell "bug".  Suddenly soldiers and agents had leveled 50+ lvl's in one week.  Oh and they didn't do anything about it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 04:55:19 PM

AO also had the oops we made a % based damage reflection spell "bug".  Suddenly soldiers and agents had leveled 50+ lvl's in one week.  Oh and they didn't do anything about it.
Oh lordy.

Omni-Tek Treachery For Fun And Levels:

1) put on damage shield

2) bind in city, walk up to guard robot

3) hit guard robot with pillow

4) get kerpwnt. Guard robot takes 1/10th of kerpwnt.

5) respawn in city, put on damage shield

6) repeat until guard robot keels over from recoil

7) DING!

--GF

Is it scary that I still remember that?
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 08:28:17 PM

I'd say UO wins for quantity and pure comedy value.  But this has the advantage of being an -intended- command.  Someone went out of their way to code this one.  That's unprecedented AFAIK.

Witty banter not included.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 02:59:17 AM

UO was all bugs, half of the features in that game were not designed to work that way.  To name few bugs - corpse poisoning, standing on the body to prevent ressurection, standing on somebody to get them guard whacked, pets guarding doorways. Back in the day I knew about 5 ways to get somebody guard-whacked... If anything early UO was mmorpg game of Paranoia.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 03:50:17 AM

You also need to remember all scandals that happened with UO, from GM Darwin, to witchhunt bans, to orc on orc RPs cybersex logs...

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Greatest bug in MMORPG history?  
Jump to: