Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: You had me at Hello World. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You had me at Hello World.  (Read 16055 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #35 on: June 16, 2005, 08:17:17 AM

Ah, thought it was the same link. mea culpa.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: June 16, 2005, 08:52:12 AM

The movie's not really worth the trouble unless you enjoy watching horrendously blurry movies of someone navigating menus to the tune of The Prodigy's Firestarter....on firmware 1.5!

Not that it matters, but the song is Rage Against the Machine's "Wake Up" from The Matrix soundtrack. Firestarter is a much better song IMO.

Philistine.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #37 on: June 16, 2005, 03:21:22 PM

Not that it matters, but the song is Rage Against the Machine's "Wake Up" from The Matrix soundtrack. Firestarter is a much better song IMO.

Not to nitpick your nitpick, but "Wake Up" was originally off Rage's self-titled album which came out about a half-decade before the Matrix.
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: June 21, 2005, 08:13:50 PM

Rerail:

Almost a week after Killer-X and the PSP-Dev team released the revolutionary Swaploit v0.1, and they seem to be at it again. Their website states that on the 22nd of June (tomorrow), at 12:00 GMT, they will be releasing a new version of this method. Details as of now are fuzzy since nothing is said about it except:

“Several days ago we released the swaploit (15-Jun) , some of the sceners got satisfied but some of you tell us to do it better. Today we are proud to announce that in a few days you will get a new hit from Killer-X and PsP-Dev Team...”

The only clues the videos on the site offer of this new version is something called 'Direct Loader', followed by a SNES emu loading up WITHOUT swapping memory sticks. Is this is the end of memory stick swapping? Let us only hope. Should this be true, expect another groundbreaking PSP 1.5 hack tomorrow morning. Stay tuned for more details as this story progresses.

That's from PSPHacker.

I really hope they release a direct loading exploit. I'm getting tired of tempting myself to do the swap method (I haven't as of yet).
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: June 22, 2005, 02:30:39 PM

I'm too busy playing Final Fantasy III at full speed with sound and full screen on my PSP to hear the wails of the dying in Battlefield II.

But I'll tell you what sound I do hear - the sound of a million game boys and super nintendos crying out at once.

Edit: I should add, you have to toggle 333mhz to run SNES at full speed. NES is perfect though. And that makes me nearly as happy. Keke.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 03:58:12 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 05:09:34 PM

Ok, frameskip 1, sound 11khz, psp clock @ 333. Runs SNES at full speed. Super Metroid doesn't work. Final Fantasy III hangs. Everything else seems perfecto.
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 23, 2005, 11:26:43 AM

So these emus work for 1.5 PSPs?  There's been so much PSP news lately that I lost track of where we were.

Can I go to EB right now, buy a PSP, download an emu, and be playing FF3us by the end of the day?  Or are there caveats?
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: June 23, 2005, 05:49:24 PM

Yes. You can. Some areas in the FF games run slowly for me. Will probably be fixed within the week now that America is working on it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #43 on: June 23, 2005, 05:51:29 PM

So these emus work for 1.5 PSPs?  There's been so much PSP news lately that I lost track of where we were.

Can I go to EB right now, buy a PSP, download an emu, and be playing FF3us by the end of the day?  Or are there caveats?
Sony has released downloadable 1.51 and 1.52 firmware updates for the US PSPs so they may be shipping the latest PSPs to the US with one of those firmware updates.
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: June 23, 2005, 05:53:46 PM

The PSPs we got today at EB are 1.5. If they have a used one at your local EB, get that. Particularly since you'll be running it at 333mhz. And GET A SERVICE PLAN. Errr, duh? Anyway, yea, they'll probably get 1.5x working in a months time. The 1.5 hack was stupid easy.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #45 on: June 23, 2005, 06:01:44 PM

The PSPs we got today at EB are 1.5. If they have a used one at your local EB, get that. Particularly since you'll be running it at 333mhz. And GET A SERVICE PLAN. Errr, duh? Anyway, yea, they'll probably get 1.5x working in a months time. The 1.5 hack was stupid easy.

So stupid easy that Sony will fix it right away.

Just when your fingers are getting sore and your friends keep asking 'Why do you have to switch memory sticks?' Killer-X and the PSP-Dev team have answered our prayers with KXploit, a way to run homebrew on 1.5's... Minus the memory stick swap!

The predecessor of Swaploit, users will now enjoy no more jammed fingers or broken nails with the introduction of "Direct Loader", and 1.5 users can now pretend they own a 1.0.

One of our users, Gavin King (Thanks), posted a comment on how to do this in its simplest form:

"If any of this confused you.... just do the same thing you did with swaploit, but put both folders on the same memory.

Let's use your NES folder as an example.

Your MS1 folder name "NES%" and your MS2 folder leave it the same, naming it "NES".

And that's all you need to do... a simple rename and move."

Quote from: Slashdot Whore
The PSP bootloader checks the folder on the memory card (FAT format) for signed code. If it finds unsigned code, it refuses to boot.

The PSP OS does not check for signed code. It assumes the bootloader has done its job. It just runs whatever code it finds.

Fortunately the PSP bootloader FAT driver and the PSP OS FAT driver don't work the same. The bootloader ignores % signs in folder names. So if you create a folder "FOO" containing NO code, as well as a folder "FOO%" containing homebrew code, then the PSP will happily boot and run your code from the "FOO%" directory. Simply place both the directories on the card and try to play the code in "FOO%".

NB: bootloader in this context isn't quite the same thing as bootloaders on PCs.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: June 23, 2005, 06:04:04 PM

So? You should be able to run anything you want on your PSP. I'm going to get shirts made that say "1.50 4ever."

I'll tell you the #1 thing I want made for a PSP: a video player that will run at 480x272.
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 23, 2005, 06:23:39 PM

Badass.  I'm gonna pick up a PSP tomorrow.

I have lots of questions:

- Do I need to get some kind of "warranty" from EB or Best Buy in order to exchange it for one without dead or stuck pixels?
- Screen protector is a must, right?
- Is it better to get a 1GB stick now or just wait for the 2GB sticks later?
- Do I need to buy a PSP<->USB cable, or does the PSP box come with one?
- I'll probably get Lumines, Wipeout Pure, and maybe Hot Shots Golf and Untold Legends.  Any others that I'm forgetting?
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: June 23, 2005, 06:42:49 PM

- Do I need to get some kind of "warranty" from EB or Best Buy in order to exchange it for one without dead or stuck pixels?
- Screen protector is a must, right?
- Is it better to get a 1GB stick now or just wait for the 2GB sticks later?
- Do I need to buy a PSP<->USB cable, or does the PSP box come with one?
- I'll probably get Lumines, Wipeout Pure, and maybe Hot Shots Golf and Untold Legends.  Any others that I'm forgetting?

In Order:
1. Buy it at EB. When they come out with special editions, assuming all firmwares are hacked, you can trade it in and get the special edition one without it even being broken. You'll just pay to put a warranty on the new one. The insurance is basically a 1x thing at EB.
2. I don't use a screen protector. I scratched my screen putting it on.
3. 1GB seems to be more than enough.
4. You need a cable. $9.99 a all major outlets.
5. Those are good titles. Ridge Racer is better than Wipeout Pure.

Anything else?
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 23, 2005, 07:05:03 PM

Sweet, thanks.
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: June 23, 2005, 07:30:31 PM

The Genesis Emulator is PERFECT.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #51 on: June 24, 2005, 03:13:11 AM

The Genesis Emulator is PERFECT.

Still wish this came out BEFORE I came to Europe.

Bah, w/e I'll be in the States next week and hook myself up.

In the meantime, been playing modded XBox at my friend's place.  Mmmmm Paperboy.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #52 on: June 24, 2005, 08:42:16 AM

In the meantime, been playing modded XBox at my friend's place.  Mmmmm Paperboy.

You can play that without a modded Xbox. Midway Classics Volume 1.
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 27, 2005, 12:14:12 PM

I finally got my PSP and I must say, this bad boy is sexy as hell.  Lumines, Wipeout, and Hot Shots Golf are well worth their price, but Untold Legends is completely worthless - no matter how desperate you are for RPG action on a handheld.

The guy at Best Buy was very helpful and let me open the box right there in the store.  Fortunately, mine had no dead or stuck pixels - score!

Unfortunately, it's a newer PSP with 1.51 firmware, not 1.50.  Which means I can't run any emulators on it until some intrepid hacker cracks the new firmware.

Until then, Hot Shots Golf is more than adequate to keep me occupied.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #54 on: June 27, 2005, 12:21:26 PM

Playing Earthbound on my PSP is unmitigated JOY. JOY JOY JOY.   The SNES emu still needs to be a bit faster (it handles EB moderately well), but the NES one is just fantastic.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: June 27, 2005, 05:41:57 PM

Unfortunately, it's a newer PSP with 1.51 firmware, not 1.50.  Which means I can't run any emulators on it until some intrepid hacker cracks the new firmware.

Return it. Get a used one from an EBGames. Their service plan makes it well worth the price.
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: June 28, 2005, 11:11:21 AM

Confirmed: Virtua Tennis doesn't have infrastructure mode.

What, no web play? Baby Jesus weeps.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: You had me at Hello World.  
Jump to: