Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:15:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battlefield 2 Retail Linux Server 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battlefield 2 Retail Linux Server  (Read 8173 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35 on: June 23, 2005, 06:17:33 PM

More kindling for the inferno of EA hate.

A quote from the All Seeing Eye forums (ASE is an alternative server browser which rocks):
Anach: Let me restate it for you. All game companies that are supported by ASE allow you to join a server by issuing the game a command line argument similar to:

bf.exe +joinserver 192.168.1.1

or something similar. For some reason, DICE took out that ability. There is nothing ASE can do to support this game unless they change that to work again.
That's rumored to be fixed/updated in the upcoming patch but of course with EA you never know (the BF2 demo executable actually has those command line parameter strings in there but the code ignores them). I was actually working on my own server browser using gslist cause the built-in one is the crappiest server browser of all time until I ran into the above problem and gave up.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #36 on: June 23, 2005, 06:41:20 PM

Ok, since none of the other chucklefucks in the BF2 Linux community has tried this, I am running the demo binary 1.0.2446-12 with the retail server files 1.0.2442. This -may- fix the problem. Who knows.

Server is up. Give it a try.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #37 on: June 23, 2005, 09:51:42 PM

Seeing as how ranked servers are all but unplayable because of the warping and rubberbanding, I returned my copy of Battlefield 2 to the store. After getting store credit for the buggy POS, I got a Gamecube game for my kid and a Logitech wireless Xbox controller for myself.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 23, 2005, 10:58:03 PM

Seeing as how ranked servers are all but unplayable because of the warping and rubberbanding, I returned my copy of Battlefield 2 to the store. After getting store credit for the buggy POS, I got a Gamecube game for my kid and a Logitech wireless Xbox controller for myself.

Good for you! (no sarcasm) Now if everyone else would do the same thing! (You can always buy it again if they ever patch it so it's playable - and maybe at a cheaper price!)

- Viin
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39 on: June 23, 2005, 11:00:52 PM

If you go to your EB Games or Gamestop and make enough noise, they will take your return.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #40 on: June 24, 2005, 08:48:06 AM

to top it all off the graphical upgrade is negligible
Heh.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 24, 2005, 10:38:09 AM

Seeing as how ranked servers are all but unplayable because of the warping and rubberbanding, I returned my copy of Battlefield 2 to the store.

Hmmm, maybe I just got lucky, but I played on 4 different ranked servers last night and had no problems. My only complaint was that asinine Dam level, a flaghoppers dream, where unless you're in the air you're forced to navigate an endless maze back and forth as flags are taken at opposite ends of the map by people in choppers.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #42 on: June 24, 2005, 02:15:17 PM

Well, there has been no more communication from DICE regarding the Linux server issue since they sent a fixed build to EA. Since it is after 5pm on the east coast, I doubt there'll be a released server fix for Linux before next week. Way to go EA!
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #43 on: June 25, 2005, 02:56:00 PM

It seems someone has figured out a temporary fix for the Linux server, but it requires changing the Python files. I'm sure this will constitute as a "hack" and will cause servers using this fix to get delisted. Up yours EA.

Quote from: eXhumed
WORKING PYTHON FIX for Linux Retail Server
1/ You will need shell access to the server.
2/ Edit /<BF2 dir>/python/bf2/stats/endofround.py , with 'vi' or similar
3/ Stick a # in front of "host.gl_sendEndOfRoundData(dataString)"
4/ Restart - Tada!

This really does work, the only side effects is the stats shown whilst the map loads will be missing. Not ideal, but Im sure you will all agree, definately worth it Happy serving.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: June 25, 2005, 05:08:18 PM

Wow, deja fucking vu. This sounds like a lot of the same type of stupidity that accompanied the release of BF1942. It's good to know they've learned something from the past.

Time to EA closing down DICE's shops and folding them into the EA conglomerate: 2.5 years.

schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: June 25, 2005, 05:39:05 PM

Wow, I had the over/under on that at 2 weeks.

Haem, has anyone told you you're too nice?
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #46 on: June 27, 2005, 10:14:30 AM

Time to EA closing down DICE's shops and folding them into the EA conglomerate: 2.5 years.

I'm going with shortly after their first expansion. Say.... 14 months. Hey, someone should start up a death pool.

"Ja ja, Välkommen to EA: Stockholm"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #47 on: June 27, 2005, 11:23:00 AM

Nahhh, they still have one more big sequel game to put out before the downslope.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: June 27, 2005, 02:28:35 PM

Here is a message EA UK posted on their forums in regards to support for the Linux server:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting EA technical support. I am sorry that you are
having difficulty.

Unfortunately, we do not support the Server software. You may wish to
try running the server in Windows instead of Linux.

The current gossip is that the build DICE submitted to EA was very laggy and EA is demading a new build from DICE.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 27, 2005, 03:50:47 PM

Gossip? Christ! Everytime I try and play the problems are staring me in the face. If I were EA I'd be pissed. However, as long as the money stream keeps flowing I doubt anything else matters to EA.

"Oh. We're selling 1 mil tons of crap a week at a 95% profit? How come we're not selling 2 mil?"

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: June 27, 2005, 04:20:58 PM

Well, it seems the publisher testing the network code instead of the developer seems to be not uncommon, after talking to someone who worked at a game development company.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battlefield 2 Retail Linux Server  
Jump to: