Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:34:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: A company to watch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A company to watch  (Read 4381 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: April 24, 2004, 09:07:17 AM

Without images, I felt better about cross-posting this bit :)

While Lineage didn't enjoy a success in the U.S. nearly as large as it has in Korea, there is no doubt that sequel is a quality product. Sure I didn't like the game. But I didn't like the first one either. Considering even a much more realistic number of subscribers, there are enough who do like the games that I feel it's just a matter of taste.

And that's not all NC Soft has to offer either.

On Thursday, NC Soft announced their E3 lineup. Two of these titles were in their booth last year. But three are new and offer an impressive variety.

Guild Wars — From the developers who helped create StarCraft® , Warcraft™, Diablo® and Battle.net™, Guild Wars ( www.guildwars.com ) is the first Competitive Online Role Playing Game, where players will compete based on their gaming skill rather than hours played. Be among the first to play Guild Warsbefore it goes into beta test – when ArenaNet and NCsoft welcome tens of thousands of players to join us online during a special promotion event, “E3 for Everyone.” Experience for yourself Guild Wars' many innovations, such as skill-based gameplay, the combination of a social world with a personal story, and free online play during the three days of E3.

One element not mentioned is that this game have no monthly fee. As announced in a recent PC Gamer issue, NC Soft has defrayed the fee in favor of a business model based on the sales of future expansion packs. This was a polished title last year, so I look forward to experiencing what a year's worth of work has done for the game.

Tabula RasaTabula Rasa is the latest massively multiplayer entertainment experience to come from the legendary creative mind of Richard Garriott and the all-star team of industry professionals at Destination Games™. Developed from the ground up to be stable, fast and fun, Tabula Rasa represents a refreshing new approach to the design of multiplayer online games. Immerse yourself within a richly-detailed game world featuring beautifully rendered 3D environments, unique alien creatures and characters, and imaginative technorganic fashion and architecture. Tabula Rasa includes fully integrated voice chat and an original, dynamically-mixed soundtrack by recording artist, Chris Vrenna.

From the mind of the man who brought us the title that so completely sucked me into MMOGs. I've learned little beyond the name of the game and a rumoured liberal use of instancing, but mostly because I try not to follow games until there is something tangible to experience. Now there's something tangible.

Auto Assault — Combine fast-paced vehicular combat with high-tech, futuristic weaponry and hundreds of intense skills and you get Auto Assault – a unique departure from traditional Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPGs). Hop in your own customized cars, semis, and motorcycles and prepare to fight the mutated creatures and bandits of Auto Assault's post-apocalyptic world. Battle other players both in arenas and in epic race vs. race wars for control of the regions in a devastated Earth. Auto Assault uses the power of the Havok™ physics engine to let you make insane jumps, send obstacles flying and even blast bridges, buildings, fences and trees with your car-mounted rockets. Anything you can hit, you can destroy!

While I admit I had a knee-jerk doubt about this title (given the demise of Motor City Online), I realized this could be the extension of a 25-year-old dream to experience Spy Hunter online. Maybe it'll be Knight Rider 2010. Maybe it'll be Road Warrior. Whatever it is, I'm eager to see it.

City of Villains —Want to play the bad guy in Paragon City? You'll get your chance in Cryptic Studios' City of Villains , currently under development and to be shown in limited play at E3. While City of Heroes ( www.cityofheroes.com ) is ready for an April 28 launch, Cryptic developers already are working on the first major expansion to the game that will allow players to take on the role of villain in Paragon's modern metropolis. Turn the tide on all the heroes and heroines and lead your crime syndicate into battle in the impressive 3D backdrop of Paragon City .

As much fun as I had in the City of Heroes beta, and plan to continue through Live, I was one of those disappointed with the lack of PvP in CoH, much less the ability to play bad guys at all. Announcing the expansion now makes the initial offering that much more palpable to those folks who weren't going to jump into the game at launch. Even if players can't engaged in PvP right away, they can develop a character for PvP-readiness down the road.

Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicle —From the creators of Lineage, the world's most successful online role playing game, comes a whole new experience in medieval massively multiplayer games. Lineage II ( www.lineage2.com ) uses Unreal technology to provide an incredibly rich 3D world in which to adventure, siege and conquer and the game's player vs. player combat system allows for a truly unique and player-driven in-game society.

I didn't enjoy this game, but many have, so it's really just a matter of preference. Interestingly, I do question "the world's most successful online" bit because of information stumbled upon that shows Lineage having less active subscriptions than even Star Wars Galaxies. We've know for awhile that the Korean success is mainly predicated on players creating accounts in Internet Cafés. But those players are effectively playing the game for "free", paying their usage fees to the Café, and not having a monthly subscription to the actual game.

I think we could all agree that all MMOGs would be doing a lot better if they didn't require a monthly fee.

In any case, NC Soft has a very diverse product line up. Even if I haven't enjoyed two of their three products, all three were playable, stable and content rich. And though Cryptic Studios is the brains and brawn behind City of Heroes, it can take talent to recognize growth opportunities. I credit NC Soft for the "discovery" of this opportunity to enhance their portfolio.

With Microsoft shutting down Mythica, Ubi pulling out as publisher of The Matrix Online (though Warner is still developing) and the discontinuation of Motor City Online from EA, it's obvious that some of the big studios have taken a step back to evaluate the actual revenue potential of this genre versus the amount of effort required to get it. And they've come up short.

NC Soft seems to have a different other point of view. I feel this makes them worth watching.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 10:27:36 PM

Chris Vrenna? If I remember that name right, he worked with Trent Reznor on some of the NIN albums.

Interesting information about the PC Bang money in Lineage. That totally changes the market perception. I'd still say Lineage is more popular than EQ, but considering the differences in price and access, it's apples to oranges.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 11:32:39 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
Chris Vrenna? If I remember that name right, he worked with Trent Reznor on some of the NIN albums.

Yep, as the drummer if I'm not mistaken, and he's worked with some other big names as well.  As far as games go, I believe he did the music for Alice.

And yes, I'm very impressed with NC Soft.  Sure they've got some standard MMORPG crap like L2, but if it helps them support games like CoH, and allows them to try new shit like no monthly fees, or a fucking car combat MMORPG than who am I to complain?  Let them take $15 a month from the suckers willing to pay for a game they might find fun somewhere down the road if it allows NC to take chances on games like CoH, Guild Wars, and Auto Assault.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 11:34:18 PM

If NC Soft pulls a Themis and has a single price like $25 a month where I can play all their games....as in uh, Tabula Rasa & City of Heroes - I'm fucking there.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 06:52:49 AM

I'm with Haemish - I don't think it matters how Lineage got the numbers it has, those numbers still represent a larger number of people playing the game. What this says is that a company with the right product for the market and right pricing model can change the way online games are sold and played. I don't think we can dispute that Sony as a corporation has deeper pockets than NCSoft, but is NCSoft perhaps a more profitable enterprise in the long term than SOE?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 07:19:55 AM

Quote from: Righ
I don't think we can dispute that Sony as a corporation has deeper pockets than NCSoft, but is NCSoft perhaps a more profitable enterprise in the long term than SOE?

I think it's just a case of big ships not being able to change course quickly.  SOE by it's nature has to be averse to risk taking, whereas NCSoft being a smaller company is more capable of gambling.  That just naturally leads to more innovation, and as long as they couple that innovation with quality control they should be an impressive company for the forseeable future.  SOE, on the other hand, is sticking to their core competencies; namely ensuring that their cash cow (EQ) continues to bring home the bacon with EQ2.  I don't think it'll work, though.  Those in need of a fantasy jones will be jumping ship to WoW faster than you can say "jiggly elf boobs".  Don't get me wrong, the game won't fail, but their time as the 800 pound gorilla is just about over.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 12:45:40 PM

Car Wars/Interstate '76 online?  Fuck yeah.

SOE sticking to its flagship game is going to bite them in the ass, sooner rather than later.  At some point the rest of the industry will catch up and pass them by.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 01:33:55 PM

Quote from: Schild
If NC Soft pulls a Themis and has a single price like $25 a month where I can play all their games....as in uh, Tabula Rasa & City of Heroes - I'm fucking there.

$25/mo to play all their games, or $25/mo to play any of their games at any one time?
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 02:09:21 PM

Re:  NCSoft, it looks like they're smart enough to cover all possible "factions" within the world-wide MMOG player base:  pvp'ers, pve'ers, rvr'ers... and, on top of it, to make sure that they always have a new title ready for release just when an old one gets stale.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 05:28:22 AM

Quote from: daveNYC
SOE sticking to its flagship game is going to bite them in the ass, sooner rather than later.  At some point the rest of the industry will catch up and pass them by.

What's amusing is that Sony apparently had very low expectations for EQ when it was in development, and gave it a minimal amount of resources.  But their willingness to put even some small amount of capital into the (then) new genre of MMORPGs paid off big time.  

Of course, rather than see this as a lesson in the potential profits of exploring new markets, they simply dragged EQ into their "copy and paste" development routine and are spitting out EQ Ver 2.0 - copying the superficial nature of EQ (MMORPG) without copying its spirit (taking a risk with something new).

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 06:23:30 AM

Quote from: schild

So would I. But only after testing Auto Assault and Tabula Rosa. They could send me a Dark Elf chick and I wouldn't fire up L2 again.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: A company to watch  
Jump to: