Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:56:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Billy Dee Williams is a hero to the homeless and unemployed. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billy Dee Williams is a hero to the homeless and unemployed.  (Read 3646 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: March 15, 2005, 04:20:48 PM

Quote from: Reuters
Study: Homeless, unemployed favor malt liquor
Potent, cheap beer heavily targeted to black, Hispanic youth
Updated: 4:14 p.m. ET March 14, 2005

WASHINGTON - Malt liquor, a type of beer that is higher in alcohol than other brews, is largely a drink of the homeless and unemployed, and is likely to be abused, U.S. researchers reported Monday.

And malt liquor is heavily marketed to black and Hispanic youth, the team at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in California found.

Their study of 329 drinkers in Los Angeles found that malt liquor drinkers are different from those who choose other tipples.

Ricky Bluthenthal, who led the study, said malt liquors were both higher in alcohol than other beers and tended to be sold in larger containers.

"We found that the combination of these differences resulted in the average malt liquor drinker in our study consuming 80 percent more alcohol per drink than the average regular beer drinker," he said in a statement.

And, Bluthenthal said, the more alcohol consumed, the worse the consequences for both the drinker and his or her community.

Writing in the March issue of the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, Bluthenthal's team said they found malt liquor drinkers were more likely to be homeless, unemployed, receive public assistance, and tended to drink more alcohol than other drinkers.

Rhonda Jones-Webb, an expert in alcohol consumption and behavior at the University of Minnesota who reviewed the study, said she was concerned about the marketing of malt liquor.

The products are largely targeted to black and Hispanic youths and young adults, she said.

"Rap artists have been popular images in malt liquor advertising and 'gangsta' rap performers portray malt liquor as a sign of masculinity," she said.

"Advertising influences brand choice, and what young people drink in early years influences what they drink as adults," she added in a telephone interview.

Malt liquors are often sold in 40-ounce bottles, she added. "Rap lyrics and movie scripts encourage 'chugging' the bottles before they get warm," she said.

"The combined effects of higher alcohol content, larger serving size, and faster consumption can result in higher blood alcohol levels, an increased risk of aggressive behavior, and other alcohol-related problems."

Jones-Webb said larger studies should be done on the type of alcohol that people drink, advertising of the different types and their influence on behavior and crime.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 04:29:20 PM

Malt liquor leads to fascination with big asses, spinning rims, and referring to yourself in the third person.

Malt liquor, a type of beer that is higher in alcohol than other brews, is largely a drink of the homeless and unemployed, and is likely to be abused, U.S. researchers reported Monday.

No shit? And here I thought people drank it for the lovely redolent of week old roadkill taste.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 04:35:26 PM

Malt liquor, a type of beer ...

Yay, Prohibition!  That craptastic era gave us this distinction of "malt" liquor.  Newsflash: all beer is malt liquor.  It is made from malt.  The only difference among beers is the adjunct/malt ratio, where "adjunct" is "other crap that also ferments" but yields neutral or mild flavors and (generally) smaller amounts of alcohol per unit.

Damn my own country and it's incessant and unnecessary categorization of such a wonderful beverage.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 04:42:57 PM

According to the Beer Judge Certification Program Guidelines, Malt Liquor is defined as a Category 23 - Specialty Beer.

Bruce
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 04:53:15 PM

According to the Beer Judge Certification Program Guidelines, Malt Liquor is defined as a Category 23 - Specialty Beer.

Bruce

That doesn't change that the fact that the term is a result of post-Prohibition politics.  The term exists, so it is used in beer competitions to provide a mapping of categories to common terms.  It is still a pointless distinction, one provided primarily for reasons of legislation.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 08:17:27 PM

Malt liquor, a type of beer ...

Yay, Prohibition!  That craptastic era gave us this distinction of "malt" liquor.  Newsflash: all beer is malt liquor.  It is made from malt.  The only difference among beers is the adjunct/malt ratio, where "adjunct" is "other crap that also ferments" but yields neutral or mild flavors and (generally) smaller amounts of alcohol per unit.

Damn my own country and it's incessant and unnecessary categorization of such a wonderful beverage.

Adjuncts have nothing to do with the term.  "Malt liquor" is used because beer over a certain alcohol percentage is not allowed to be called beer in the US.  You can call it "ale", or "lager", or "malt liquor", or "barleywine", or whatever, but you can't call it "beer".

Right now, I'm drinking a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale.  It's 9.6% abv.  While it is technically a kind of beer, it is not legally allowed to be called such on the label.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 08:22:03 PM

Any drink that comes in 40oz bottles meant to be consumed in one serving should be avoiding by everyone and anyone. Some of my friends drink them. They deserve all sorts of liver damage.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 09:40:53 PM

Aw come on. The malt liquor is a staple of college life. We used to get Haffenreffers which were SIXTY-FOUR ounce malt liquors. About 2 bucks if I recall correctly.  We had to beat the Russians to them at the local deli (their embassy was just up the street) or we had to go without!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 09:50:38 PM

Yeah, I don't understand why they didn't mention the most compelling aspect: THE PRICE.

You can get a 40 for a buck and a half. Gee, wonder why they appeal to homeless people and such? Hmm...tough one...

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 07:19:17 AM

Ahh the 40... The trick to the 40 isn't necessarily to drink it fast before it gets warm, it's a matter of establishing the 40s rotation. You must be drinking two 40s at all times. As soon as one starts to get a little warm you cap it, throw it in the fridge and work on the other one. If that one starts to get warm you switch back.

I've never seen more vomit than when we threw a 40s party. 40s at 40 was a good time until later that night. I think we had about 15 cases of Laser, Magnum, and OE (plus 2 kegs of regular beer for the "ladies"). Our fridge was a beautiful thing. Just like the Dre video when they open the door and it's just stacked with 40s except we had 2 stocked fridges. :)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 07:26:13 AM

Crap, now I'm jonesing for a 40 to ring in St. Patty's Day in addition to my normal Car Bomb, Black & Tan, and Jameson rotation.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 09:55:07 AM

I think I'll just pour one out for my homies instead.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 09:58:26 AM

We used to get Haffenreffers which were SIXTY-FOUR ounce malt liquors.

I'm trying to imagine what you'd do with 64 fucking ounces of malt liquor besides get shitfaced drunk. Which I suppose is the point, especially in college, but I hardly think this study proves anything more than a DUH? YOU THINK?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 10:19:53 AM

I'm trying to imagine what you'd do with 64 fucking ounces of malt liquor besides get shitfaced drunk

We used to have marks on the bottle (top of the label, the green stripe on the label, etc.) and have races to see who got there first.  Lots of times this was while we were doing a live radio show.

/yes we were degenerates.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 11:32:41 AM

I'm trying to imagine what you'd do with 64 fucking ounces of malt liquor besides get shitfaced drunk

We used to have marks on the bottle (top of the label, the green stripe on the label, etc.) and have races to see who got there first.  Lots of times this was while we were doing a live radio show.

/yes we were degenerates.

No being a degenerate is convincing a friend to bong an entire Colt 45 Ice.

Yes, not only malt liquor, but ice malt liquor. He didn't last long before he was swallowing backwards.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 11:58:15 AM

In downtown Mobile, Pika and I used to go to the local micro brew and get liter stiens of stout.  Two liter stiens of stout equated to an interesting evening.  If you can get a liter stien of stout, I see no reason to think of getting a 40.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Billy Dee Williams is a hero to the homeless and unemployed.  
Jump to: