Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:18:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless (coding) Projects 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless (coding) Projects  (Read 1021 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: October 07, 2023, 11:19:47 AM

I was gonna post this in Useless Projects but that's specifically for home improvement bullshit, not nerd bullshit, so here's a new thread!

Having lots of random/unscheduled chunks of time to kill while the wean sleeps in her carrier turned out to be the perfect thing for working on the little coding project that I'd planned to do during covid lockdown (before it turned out that covid lockdown just sapped my will to do anything but quit my job and drink).  I think I've got it working well enough to "release" it, although I doubt it'll ever get enough users to crack the free tiers on the various services that make it go.  Mostly this was an idea that I've had rattling around in my head for years and it was a good way to get some practice writing a modern fullstack app (I haven't written anything from end to end like this since the pre-JS days, so I had a lot of stuff to get up to speed on).

How Did I Get Here?

The idea is that you feed in data from a site like ancestry.com and it draws you a map like this:

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 04:36:29 PM

That's fun. I wonder if it couldn't render as the top four vectors with thicker and thinner lines to indicate proportionality, or something cleaner like that.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 08:14:28 PM

The first crack I took at it had the line thickness fall off exponentially (which is logical, right?) but that just makes it really impractical to see more than a few generations at once so I ended up just kinda futzing with the numbers until
it struck a balance between being differentiation and visibility.

Part of the challenge is that Google Maps's drawing support is butt.  If I keep tinkering with it the next major upgrade is going to be investigating react-simple-maps for the map frontend.  Be a bit more work to set up but I'd get a lot more flexibility, including the ability to export the map and let you buy a print of it on Zazzle.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless (coding) Projects  
Jump to: