Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: RoboCop (2013) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RoboCop (2013)  (Read 23029 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: September 13, 2013, 06:17:26 PM

For reference, the original Robocop nearly received an "X" rating for the violence it did have.  What we all saw was the toned-down version.  I remember this vividly because I owned an Fx Magazine that talked about it, showing the animatronic of Weller that was deleted in the final cut. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop#Rating

What I did NOT remember, was they had to go back and forth 12 times before receiving an "R." Also , the commercials we all love as amusing send-ups and some of the most memorable catch phrases were added to de-grim the movie.

One of the things I love about the internet is specifically how it retcons what I thought had actually happened at the time. This is awesome, I had no idea.

As to this new movie, eh, I skipped Total Recall because even the previews looked like the pandering shit it sounds like it became. However, the only thing that bothered me about this new Robocop trailer is Samuel Jackson. Michael Keaton seemed to work, it looks like the crammed both Robocop 1 and 2 concepts into the one movie, the concept of giving him the impression of free will without him having any is both interesting as a sci fi trope and echos some of the scores of directives that were added by the activist lady in 2, and the whole thing had slightly dirty futuristic vibe to it. Not as far as the recent Dredd (which I quite enjoyed), and certainly not as far as the first Robocop, but not as clean as Trek either.

I doubt they'll bother with the campiness, and that's ok by me. The first Robocop was perfectly timed for a generation of neophytes becoming cynical about the world thye were inheriting from the Watergate/Berlin-Wall era of adults. Doing that again would thud hard though, almost two generations of cynics later, and through a bunch of evolutionary steps on the path of fusion between man and machine.

I'm ok with the idea of the story being recast as more of an ideological issue than a straight campy action send up. Especially since the last campy action send up I can immediately recall was Starship Troopers, which I hated (and yea which has already been discussed at length here... ).
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: September 17, 2013, 06:23:38 PM

Every movie is Transformers now. Thanks Michael Bay!

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZFcP7N6ZM

*squeak* *squeak*

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: September 17, 2013, 11:55:31 PM

Everytime I see and hear another video from her it drives me crazy. Her face and voice strongly remind of someone from somewhere and I haven't got a damn clue why. Drives me bloody insane.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 19, 2013, 03:51:34 PM

Someone who has 17min more minutes than I do*: did she say anything that hasn't already been said?

* By which I mean someone who wasn't doing something as important as me looking at the Funny Pictures Thread for 17 minutes or whatever
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #109 on: September 19, 2013, 04:45:33 PM

Clearly if it was linked, at least one person thought it was worth watching.   awesome, for real

I mean, at its core it's "goddamn it why remake this" which has obviously been said, but I thought she did a great job of laying out a lot of what made the original movie awesome in the course of explaining why the remake is unnecessary.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: September 20, 2013, 12:05:32 AM

You can just watch the first 10 seconds.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: September 28, 2013, 04:18:40 AM

We've done this before, but Starship Troopers is pretty much a perfect movie. You might not like it, but it great for what it is.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: September 28, 2013, 04:41:47 AM

I don't know if this looks bad as much as it looks like nothing at all so why bother?

I always wonder with these types of movies if the people making them love the original but think that modern audiences won't so they feel forced to "update" it or if they hate the original and making an awful remake that misses the point is their way of showing it.

So many of these remakes or movies based on existing properties show so little reverence for those properties, they don't feel like they could come from people who appreciate the original. I mean, they have a scene in this movie where they purposely shit on the original (where they introduce his old costume then decide to change it) - something pretty common in movies like this.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:46:26 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: September 28, 2013, 05:55:39 AM

Watched the 17 minute video.  It was actually pretty good.  I'm not as passionate as she is about the original Robocop, but she makes her point well.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #114 on: September 28, 2013, 10:41:52 AM

I always wonder with these types of movies if the people making them love the original but think that modern audiences won't so they feel forced to "update" it or if they hate the original and making an awful remake that misses the point is their way of showing it.

For a second I thought I'd wandered into the Star Trek thread by accident.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 28, 2013, 10:49:11 AM

Someone who has 17min more minutes than I do*: did she say anything that hasn't already been said?

* By which I mean someone who wasn't doing something as important as me looking at the Funny Pictures Thread for 17 minutes or whatever

ComicBookGirl19 is ALWAYS worth watching. Period. Her breakdown of the Games of Thrones houses is pure awesome for example.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #116 on: September 28, 2013, 11:12:56 AM

I don't know if this looks bad as much as it looks like nothing at all so why bother?

So many of these remakes or movies based on existing properties show so little reverence for those properties, they don't feel like they could come from people who appreciate the original. I mean, they have a scene in this movie where they purposely shit on the original (where they introduce his old costume then decide to change it) - something pretty common in movies like this.

Sam's snark aside, no, the people pushing the project have no reverence or passion for these. Budgets are too big for new ideas, we need "Proven" ideas that made money before. They'll make money again, just give it to some director/ writer who has a passing knowledge of the genre and shove it out the door.

Which is why you get directors who know nothing of the property handling big-budget remakes (Abrams) while new ideas languish.  This is why Rob Zombie remade Halloween instead of doing another new horror property.  Welcome to Hollywood of the 21st century.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:14 PM

For a second I thought I'd wandered into the Star Trek thread by accident.   why so serious?

From what I remember JJ Abrams doesn't really like Star Trek and the director of this movie doesn't really like Robocop.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #118 on: September 28, 2013, 10:58:30 PM

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: September 28, 2013, 11:12:23 PM

My comment was more aimed at the second half, that like Abrams IIRC this guy has no love for the source material.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #120 on: February 18, 2014, 02:13:21 AM

watched it, im fine with it.
they did badly in a few parts.

About Robocop being agile and not robot?
Yeah....

All in all...it's ok for action movie but the plot and direction has bad parts...
Was it even necessary for ALex Murphy to try and have sex b4 getting blown up by a trapped car?
Yeah, his wife is hot, she took off her top - black bra and all, whereby all the kids went OWAOOOOOOOOOOO in the cinema.
then....car alarm sounded, alex said i'll check it...tries to turn off fail..
door of car opens..he walks there boom.
Dead alex. After 30 mins in.  Wow. :sochibear:

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: RoboCop (2013)  
Jump to: