Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:59:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Office 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Office  (Read 17834 times)
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 01:12:19 AM

My takeaway from that episode was the fact that NBC sanctioned downloading movies.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 08:14:57 AM

Only the first scene had us wondering, and my theory was that it was a fake, quickly realized :)

Of course, my fiancee has long believed that Black and I are secretly twins separated at birth, and given my attraction to older women, that fake movie didn't help much!

I also scored points with her because I set up the DVR to record the news, figuring that most NFL games run long. But of course I didn't mention that, and the recorded episode abruptly cut off. Unfortunately, my ball-busting was brief because she had noticed the nightly news on the DVR earlier. Dammit.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:16:33 AM by Sky »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 06:02:48 PM

"What is a two-way petting zoo?"

"Me am play gods"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 11:44:14 PM

Idris Elba is awesome. I just wish they would have let him use his real accent.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 03:21:23 PM

Saw the UK Office on Cartoon Network.  I was expecting something more "different" since people say they like the UK one better.  But it seemed pretty much the same.

"Me am play gods"
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 03:35:34 PM

I bought the premise better in the UK version. You believed it could really be a documentary gone horribly wrong, with a boss and coworkers that could really be that way. You saw the self destruction of a person in front of cameras due to him being the way he is.

The US version is more over the top and more sitcom. Some of the characters aren't believable as real characters anymore, they devolved into caricatures. And the "documentary filmcrew" has access to places and scenes they wouldn't have in real life.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:37:46 PM by Tebonas »
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 05:48:58 PM

Holy shit, I just made the connection between this show and "our" take on it.

I think our version (called Stromberg) to be incredibly funny, but sadly I can't watch it. The main character is such an unbelievable asshole, socially akward and at the same time cringeworthy pitifull that actually watching more than a few minutes of the show causes me pain. Heartbreak

Also we got this
(probably not so funny for people who don't understand German  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )

And now I have to watch "your" versions, maybe I can watch them.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 05:54:28 PM

I think our version (called Stromberg) to be incredibly funny, but sadly I can't watch it. The main character is such an unbelievable asshole, socially akward and at the same time cringeworthy pitifull that actually watching more than a few minutes of the show causes me pain. Heartbreak

Heh, that's my fiancee's reaction to the US version as well, so you might be out of luck.  She can't watch Seinfeld either because George makes her cringe so much.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 01:49:17 AM

Stromberg has other problems  as well.

First, the claimed they never saw the original, even when recycling the exact same plots. Thats cheap and spitting the makers of the original idea in the face. They since admitted that claim was bullshit, though. Stromberg is equally pitiful and cringeworthy to the British original. Carell makes the US version more likeable. Thats the core difference.

Also, German Jim is an Asshole to German Pam. The fact that he is the exact opposite to her, at total sweetheart, in both other version, humanized him. It is the core dynamic of the fucking series. You don't have anybody to root for in the German version.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:37 AM

Also, German Jim is an Asshole German to German Pam. The fact that he is the exact opposite to her, at total sweetheart, in both other version, humanized him. It is the core dynamic of the fucking series. You don't have anybody to root for in the German version.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 10:41:43 AM

Since I know Germans that aren't complete assholes to their girlfriends I must respectfully disagree here. Thats not even one of the prevalent prejudices against them, so where does that come from? Watched too many Nazi movies in your childhood?
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 10:46:30 AM

Thats not even one of the prevalent prejudices against them, so where does that come from?

Dealing with Germans in Germany and seeing how they treat their wives.

EDIT:  And holy shit, you have never heard that Germans are considered rude?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #47 on: October 03, 2009, 10:47:10 AM

Also, German Jim is an Asshole German to German Pam.

I know Germans that aren't complete assholes to their girlfriends

The way you phrased this makes it sound like the exception.   why so serious?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:35:11 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 03, 2009, 10:57:28 AM

We Austrians have many choice prejudices against Germans, rude isn't even in the top ten. Thats why I am surprised about this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #49 on: October 03, 2009, 10:57:37 AM

CreepyGif disagrees with your hotlink.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #50 on: October 03, 2009, 11:35:47 AM

What the fuck is the point of providing BBCode to hotlink your image if you disallow hotlinking?  I ask you.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 04, 2009, 04:38:33 AM

Dealing with Germans in Germany and seeing how they treat their wives.
awesome, for real

EDIT:  And holy shit, you have never heard that Germans are considered rude?
Fuck you.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #52 on: October 04, 2009, 10:05:10 PM

I don't think one can make generalizations about being rude and Germans. Sure, I met a bunch of total twats in my time in Berlin, but met complete sweethearts there too, not to mention incredible hospitality when travelling to smaller towns like Dresden.

Same goes for France. Paris, ass-hat city. 50 minute drive from Paris, milk of human kindness.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 04, 2009, 11:29:45 PM

I don't think one can make generalizations about being rude and Germans. Sure, I met a bunch of total twats in my time in Berlin, but met complete sweethearts there too, not to mention incredible hospitality when travelling to smaller towns like Dresden.

Well, Berlin is the second largest city in Europe. Among 3 million people you are bound to find some twats, statistically speaking.  awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: October 05, 2009, 12:13:41 AM

Same goes for France. Paris, ass-hat city. 50 minute drive from Paris, milk of human kindness.

Unlike Germany, it's actually hard to find nice people in Paris outside of REALLY nice hotels, in which case their only job is to be nice. Waiters though? Pfah. The entire service industry outside of hotels in Paris is a bunch of jackoffs.

I will never regret not getting back to Paris. I have no desire to go there ever again.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 05, 2009, 04:14:14 AM

I don't think one can make generalizations about being rude and Germans.

Aparently some part of this "misunderstanding" about Germans being rude is language relatet. German is pretty straigt forward and several (lets call the "social") phrases commonly used in English are simply not present in German. That makes it difficult for us to adapt to foreing levels of "Niceness", especially if we just translate literarly from German to English (happens a lot to Germans who are not exposed to a lot of English during their daily lives)

I'd like to think I do much better in this regard.  awesome, for real

I do not agree with most of the points made here, but the German English used there is  awesome, for real Heartbreak ACK!

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009, 04:50:18 AM

Thats what I heard as well. The example I heard is being invited by somebody in Germany and the US. "You should visit us" is something only said by Germans if they mean it. In the US it is a phrase and people would likely be shocked if somebody took them by their word and stood at their doorstep. It is only true if said repeatedly.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 05, 2009, 05:27:00 AM

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 05, 2009, 06:57:22 AM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 11:37:21 AM

Isn't the rude German rap something to do with towels?  Anyway, the only thing that keeps me from spending some time living in Germany are the infinite number of awesome record shops.  I'd never see my husband again!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 09, 2009, 03:45:27 PM

Not to ruin the German riff... but other than what I can only assume is a network first vomit daisy chain, as well as finding sufficient context to justify the lead female saying "he's in my room icing his balls," I'm going to have to lodge a formal complaint for lifting a bad internet joke straight in to their wedding pay-off without any apparent irony.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 05:00:54 PM

There was plenty of irony, mainy Jim knowing immediately upon seeing the video that the Pavlovian meme followers (Michael and his brothers) would try to copy it and ruin the wedding so he pre-bought the wedding-before-the-wedding tickets (not to mention the kick to the face).

One of my favorite parts of the ep was Dwight wearing the 3 wolves shirt and turning into a hot- bridesmaid-scoring playa.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #62 on: October 09, 2009, 06:15:21 PM

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 06:36:48 PM

Best TV wedding ever!

The writers are really outdoing themselves.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 09, 2009, 07:22:59 PM

Ohhhhh, I see. ... will need a ruling on whether cartoon characters trump real people vomiting.

Still not sold on the wedding as a good piece of writing...there were moments during the episode, sure... but the final wedding dance?  Nope, not seeing it as anything other than a lame cast montage in lieu of something clever.

You be the judge: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/09/the-office-wedding-video_n_314916.html

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 10, 2009, 08:56:04 AM

I think the fact that they managed to have the crazy hyjinx that everyone expected without it ruining the wedding was a pretty good bit of writing. 

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 10, 2009, 02:29:45 PM

Well i just watched the "booze cruize" episode, when Roy tells Pam he's finally ready to set a date the boat captain pipes up that he can marry them right there.  Pams answer? "i don't want to get married in a boat, i want a real wedding with DANCING!".  That sirs is genius writing.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #67 on: October 13, 2009, 12:44:20 PM

Best TV wedding ever!

The writers are really outdoing themselves.

Yes. That episode was worth the wait. If the series had ended on that episode, I'd have been entirely fine with it. "I know entirely too much about Andy's balls!" was just a killer line.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #68 on: October 13, 2009, 07:38:10 PM

Isn't the rude German rap something to do with towels?  Anyway, the only thing that keeps me from spending some time living in Germany are the infinite number of awesome record shops.  I'd never see my husband again!

Sadly, I think that most of the great record shops in Germany have gone out of business in the last decade, just like they have in every other part of the western world. Fortunately the ones that haven't are online and ship internationally, so there's no need to go to Germany now.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #69 on: November 24, 2013, 04:06:05 PM

I'm just now catching up on the last season of The Office on Netflix and wanted to say it's far surpassed my expectations.  The A.A.R.M. episode almost killed me.  Would recommend to others who tuned out after Steve Carrell bailed that it's worth picking up again.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Office  
Jump to: