Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:18:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Great Gatsby 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great Gatsby  (Read 7182 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 12:00:30 AM

Box office Mojo says its made $90 million domestic already, and $42 million globally.  With a $105 million budget, looks like it will be profitable.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 02:48:18 AM

Though apparently doing much better in 2d than 3d.

The studio blurb explains this as the audience skews female, and female viewers are more "discerning" customers.

Which is an interesting way to admit that 3d is a worthless gimmick and a stain on the artform I guess.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 08:54:01 AM

Probably going to see this tonight; pretty dismayed at the mixed reviews since I'm a massive Fitzgerald fan.  Then again I suppose any adaptation that didn't jive with my internal vision of the story would be disappointing.  I do love me some Carey Mulligan though.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 06:38:48 AM

Which is an interesting way to admit that 3d is a worthless gimmick and a stain on the artform I guess.

3D has its places.  Scifi/action movies are definitely improved by it.  My problem is that watching a whole 2.5 hour movie in 3D is really taxing on the eyes and is almost exhausting.  I can't imagine a drama or comedy would benefit from 3D in the slightest. 
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57:59 PM

So I saw it (2D) and thought that it was better than the reviews gave it credit for but there were a lot of things Baz did to really make the production seem cheap.  Mediocre CGI, text on the screen, etc. 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Great Gatsby  
Jump to: