Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Microsoft makes your room part of the game! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microsoft makes your room part of the game!  (Read 3972 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 05:47:04 PM

I wasn't thinking you'd go that far; you'd just make sure the image itself was rectangular (i.e. correct for the angle between the projector and screen, not between the screen and viewer).  It's something that drives me batty with my portable projector, I wish I could aim it from a convenient corner table, or off to the side of the screen, or what have you, without skewing the image all to hell.  With a sufficiently hi res projector and all that surface mapping logic you could correct for all that automatically.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:48:35 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 06:50:31 AM

I wish I could aim it from a convenient corner table
If only you had a coffee table  why so serious?

I just assumed if people were using a projector for their main setup, it would be ceiling mounted because most other solutions suck.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 10:36:21 PM

If only you had a coffee table  why so serious?

I just assumed if people were using a projector for their main setup, it would be ceiling mounted because most other solutions suck.

Depends on your room.  My projector is in a fairly large office room in my basement.  It sits right next to my regular PC monitor, and shoots the image behind me to the empty back wall that has a screen.  This is probably the ideal way to use a projector if you have a specific room for it.  If in the living room?  Yeah, ceiling mounted would be the way to go.

And I can assure you that I wouldn't trade the rather simple set up I have for the gimmicky stuff in that linked video, which was still on a tiny ass screen at the end of the day.

To me, a more interesting application would be in how they could make this work in a full 360 degrees.  If this is a stepping stone for something like that, than cool.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 03:48:10 PM

Have none of you been to Disneyland (with its 360 degree theater)? 360 degree projection is a good way to cover your room in vomit.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 06:06:16 PM

The thing that impressed me about this was the room mapping and detection, along with how the projector adjusts to mold around the room. The projection aspect of it did make me wonder whether it was worth it to add screen space, and yeah it'll be low def and kind of cheesy surrounding a bigger screen.

I actually liked the illusion effects: coloring/lighting, ambient and weather effects (I mean, come on, the snow with Skyrim?). The radial wobble and extending just certain aspects like particle effects or just edges of content was also cool.

It also was doing the room detection with a Kinect AND the controller (with the cable input covered by an Altoids box). The Kinect portion is something you'll be required to own separately, of course (WE CAN GET PEOPLE TO BUY 2!!).

My initial thoughts were how little additional design of games would be required when on the PC I've been changing FOV forever, but that developing out into the room does kind of make me think holodeck.

I do wonder what this kind of a coffee table box was gonna cost.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:08:16 PM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 03:38:45 PM

If only you had a coffee table  why so serious?

I have a portable projector that I bring to parties where people want to watch a movie off someone's laptop.  Find blank wall (or hang up a sheet), plug in laptop, instant movie theater.  The hardest part is always finding the place to stick the projector since there's seldom a convenient place right in front of the blank wall, so the image ends up being skewed.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 08:49:00 PM

Have none of you been to Disneyland (with its 360 degree theater)? 360 degree projection is a good way to cover your room in vomit.

I'd be happy if to, well, wallpaper my room with stuff like virtual windows and the like. But not...stuff that moves.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Microsoft makes your room part of the game!  
Jump to: