Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:17:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Warlock - Master of the Arcane - Ino-Co Plus - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warlock - Master of the Arcane - Ino-Co Plus - PC  (Read 3227 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

on: July 17, 2012, 08:51:46 AM

Demo is available on steam.
Picked it up during flash deal.

+ Good, clean graphics.
+ Refreshing take on Civ V with spells.
+ A variety of spells and leader traits that customizes your playstyle
+ Plenty of special resources to make the game approach very random. Donkeys, do you eat them, build a trading post or ride them into battle?
+ Easy to pick up for those familiar with Civ V

- No hotkeys
- UI functionality is a work-in-progress do not assume a lot of things from Civ V is here.
- No in-game wiki to draw info from. Right clicking on units is a cumbersome way to read their description.
- Diplomacy Limited to: Non Aggression Pact, Alliance and Demanding of Tributes.

Sample of game experience?
Woke up in the morning hungry. Boot up PC. Boil water. Open Cup Noodle. Boot up Warlock. Pour boiling water into Cup Noodle. Start a new game. 36 turns later, remembered about Cup Noodle. Soup evaporated.

Verdict: Buy if there's flash sale again. It's a good value at that price. Just don't expect a highly polished experience. Multiplayer is just patched in.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:49:59 PM

It doesn't have the polish as you mentioned, but the gameplay is solid and colorful.  I played for 3 hours today and I like it.  Lots, lots of different troop types; I took an NPC city that had minotaur ruins.  That let me build a minotaur barracks and now I can field kickass minotaur warriors! 

The lack of hotkeys is disappointing, as is the rudimentary diplomacy.  Also the spell research is cloudy.  You can't build roads or pillage improvements but I really like how your resources from all of your towns add together (I think).  No penalty for city sprawl except that cities are very vulnerable to conquest.  The ability to moongate from one world to another was a fun surprise.

That said, the game needs a balance pass or two; the spells are strong buffs and I don't think summoned army units should be permanent.

It's a fun game, really glad I picked it up; at $12 for hours of play that's a steal.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:26:38 PM

Improved city tiles count as roads. There's no penalty for building a farm on a desert tile, for instance; so improve cities in a way to create roads.

This is a decent game, but there are some pretty major deficiencies. FFH3 this is not.

Agree with the verdict; awesome steam sale title.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:36:50 PM

I don't mind the summons being permanent, since they carry a per-turn mana cost.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 01:11:36 AM

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Warlock - Master of the Arcane - Ino-Co Plus - PC  
Jump to: