Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Monster Hunter Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monster Hunter Online  (Read 2469 times)
patience
Terracotta Army

on: April 20, 2013, 06:52:51 PM

A few days ago an announcement was made that an MMO version of Monster Hunter was being made by Tencent and Capcom with the Crytek Engine.

Originally I was thinking this was strictly going to be in China but Crytek issued a  press release a day after but have taken it down for some reason.

Here is a webcache link of that statement.

CryENGINE® 3 set to Bring Monster Hunter Online and Legend of Yulong to Life

Crytek’s groundbreaking CryENGINE® technology is being used to create Monster Hunter Online; a major new collaboration between Tencent Games and Capcom that will see the popular Monster Hunter series released internationally on Windows platforms for the first time.

As a PC-exclusive installment in the hit Monster Hunter franchise, Monster Hunter Online will give millions of new players the chance to experience the Japanese phenomenon. The MMORPG will contain Monster Hunter’s trademark blend of vast environments, awe-inspiring fantasy creatures and in-depth customization options.

“The Monster Hunter games are known for immersing players in breathtaking worlds where great gameplay and spectacular sights go hand in hand,” said Areil Cai, Director of Business Development - CryENGINE. “CryENGINE 3 is the perfect fit for the series, and will ensure Tencent Games and Capcom are well equipped to make Monster Hunter Online the groundbreaking MMORPG experience fans worldwide are eagerly anticipating.”

As well as being used in the creation of Monster Hunter Online, Tencent Games announced this week that Crytek’s CryENGINE 3 would also be utilized for the development of Legend of Yulong Platinum Edition – a new version of a popular Chinese MMORPG that will offer players an enhanced, more realistic visual experience. With long-standing experience of the global engine business and an enthusiastic gaming community of millions to serve, Tencent’s continued reliance on CryENGINE for high profile new projects is testament to the growing reputation of Crytek’s proprietary development software.

With over 20 million sales to date, Capcom’s Monster Hunter series enjoys huge popularity in Japan and boasts a growing army of followers around the globe. Monster Hunter Online will be developed for the international market by Tencent Games and Capcom, and marks an exciting new era for a series that has enjoyed critical praise to match its popularity with players.

Videos are available here:

Monster Hunter Online: http://youtu.be/-_2yGexcNM4

The Legend of Yulong: http://youtu.be/aq0lBq3hNrU

About Crytek GmbH

Crytek GmbH (“Crytek”) is an independent company at the forefront of the interactive entertainment industry, and is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of gaming by creating standout experiences for Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC, mobile devices and games-as-service using their cutting-edge 3D-Game-Technology, CryENGINE®.

The company’s headquarters are in Frankfurt am Main (Germany). Crytek also has studios in Kiev (Ukraine), Budapest (Hungary), Sofia (Bulgaria), Seoul (South Korea), Nottingham (UK), Shanghai (China), Istanbul (Turkey) and Austin (USA).

Maybe they jumped the gun and made a mistake with the press sheet. If they didn't who's looking forward to something that's not your typical fantasy MMO?

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 06:55:48 PM

Monster Hunter Online was already a game, it was shit.

This will likely be worse.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:55:42 AM

The fans will be insanely pissed unless this game captures the combat perfectly, which it won't.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 12:52:24 AM

The combat's pretty terrible, though. At least, in the 3DS / WiiU incarnation.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:37:36 AM

Fans love the way combat is handled in the offline series, myself included.

Different strokes and all that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 01:59:08 PM

So, I loved Monster Hunter combat until Demon's Souls.

Now it's crap. Completely ruined by From Software.

How embarrassing.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:13:31 PM

I dunno, I've played both Demon's Souls and Monster Hunter and I think their combat is fine for the type of game it is.

I wouldn't have said that before clocking 50+ hours into Monster Hunter as of recently, but now I 'get' it.

That being said, I still prefer Demon's Souls, but I don't think Monster Hunter is bad at all.

Also, this isn't being made by the main MH team so the likelihood of this being fucked is high.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:56:25 AM

This is probably blasphemy, as I never played Monster Hunter (which is even more blasphemy), but I never realized how very very similar to TERA some things seem to be, down to some animations (especially if you are playing a Berserker or a Slayer) and bosses.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 09:33:54 AM

This is probably blasphemy, as I never played Monster Hunter (which is even more blasphemy), but I never realized how very very similar to TERA some things seem to be, down to some animations (especially if you are playing a Berserker or a Slayer) and bosses.

Sure, it's similar in that animation priority sort of way and maybe in the pace of combat (you are locked to moves and move slower, so bosses move slower too). That's about where the similarities end gameplay-wise, though.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Monster Hunter Online  
Jump to: