Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:23:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Modest gaming laptop 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Modest gaming laptop  (Read 1284 times)
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

on: February 02, 2012, 05:48:09 PM

Ok, so CES has passed, and I'm interested in your thoughts. I'm looking for a living-room friendly gaming laptop, which means, not too big (let's say 15" screen, 6 lbs max) and not the usual screaming fan noise and sub-Saharan heat torrents that these things usually generate. I'm willing to live with not having bleeding edge graphics, and am perfectly happy with 768p display.

Anyone have any favourites from what was announced?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:23:29 PM

OblWhatsYourBudgetQuestion
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:31:08 PM

It'd be nice to be around $1k, but if it's a bit over for the right box, no worries...

Edit: to be clear, I understand that my requirements might push me more to a standard discrete graphics laptop rather than a gaming laptop - e.g., the HP Envy... again, opinions solicited.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:40:20 PM by Baldrake »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:31:40 PM

There are decent gaming laptops near that price range but for those you'll need to be willing to accept a heavier weight, like this one that I actually purchased for myself recently:

ASUS Republic of Gamers G53SX-AH71 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop

That one has an NVIDIA 560M and can drive the most demanding games (i.e. SWTOR with its PoS graphics engine) at 1080p with most settings turned down somewhat.

My older gaming laptop has an NVIDIA 330M and it can run SWTOR no higher than 1366 x 768 or 720p (1080p is unplayable even with everything at the minimum). It can run something like Rift, though, at 1080P with most settings at or near their lowest (never tried Rift at 720p). Though the 330M was considered a "mid-range enthusiast" notebook GPU just a few years ago I would recommend getting something more powerful than that though laptops with something like the 560M or better may be more than you want to spend.

Notebook Check has a decent ranking of notebook GPUs though you won't necessarily know how specific games will perform on those GPUs.

Find a few notebook GPUs that sound like they may be good enough for you and plug those into the Newegg Notebook power search screen and see what pops out.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:24:44 AM

Thanks Trippy!

I had the predecessor to that ASUS, but wound up getting rid of it due to crazy fan noise. It just wasn't compatible with sitting in the living room with my wife while she's reading.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:05:48 PM

My laptop is an Alienware M11x. It ran $1100 I think pretty specced out. Yea, I found coupons. Yea, it was worth the money. Yea, it'll run anything.

Yea, the monitor is small.

Edit: Just looked it up, they're on sale right now. If you plug into a monitor at home, or don't care about having a GIANT screen, this thing is exceptional.

Edit 2: It's worth nothing that I have never once turned anti-aliasing on in any game. I don't care for it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:19:35 PM by schild »
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:11:23 PM

If you go with an Alienware, do it over the phone. They are willing to haggle a bit on price. I got one of the big beastly ones for around $1k off the "listed" price.

There was nothing that came close to it's spec in a laptop for the price. I'm not going to say they're a budget machine, but they're not as absurdly priced as you might think.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 05:33:57 PM

Do not buy a 720p laptop.  It will look like jaggy shit, you'll turn AA on, efficiency lost and then some.  Chances are it would be driven by an old piece of shit GPU that consumes the same amount of power and puts out the same amount of heat as a new one anyways.
wildfire
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:54:59 PM

There are decent gaming laptops near that price range but for those you'll need to be willing to accept a heavier weight, like this one that I actually purchased for myself recently:

ASUS Republic of Gamers G53SX-AH71 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop

That one has an NVIDIA 560M and can drive the most demanding games (i.e. SWTOR with its PoS graphics engine) at 1080p with most settings turned down somewhat.

My older gaming laptop has an NVIDIA 330M and it can run SWTOR no higher than 1366 x 768 or 720p (1080p is unplayable even with everything at the minimum). It can run something like Rift, though, at 1080P with most settings at or near their lowest (never tried Rift at 720p). Though the 330M was considered a "mid-range enthusiast" notebook GPU just a few years ago I would recommend getting something more powerful than that though laptops with something like the 560M or better may be more than you want to spend.

Notebook Check has a decent ranking of notebook GPUs though you won't necessarily know how specific games will perform on those GPUs.

Find a few notebook GPUs that sound like they may be good enough for you and plug those into the Newegg Notebook power search screen and see what pops out.

I have the G53J 15.6" (gen behind the one mentioned above) and its pretty amazing.  Runs TOR without a hiccup and doesn't sound like I have a helicopter in my lap.
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 01:23:16 PM

Hmm, actually the Alienware 14x looks pretty nice, although it is more expensive than I had been thinking...

11" display is way too small. I'd say it's because I'm old, but I never saw that well even when I was a kid...
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 02:09:07 PM

My laptop is an Alienware M11x. It ran $1100 I think pretty specced out. Yea, I found coupons. Yea, it was worth the money. Yea, it'll run anything.

Yea, the monitor is small.

Edit: Just looked it up, they're on sale right now. If you plug into a monitor at home, or don't care about having a GIANT screen, this thing is exceptional.

Edit 2: It's worth nothing that I have never once turned anti-aliasing on in any game. I don't care for it.

Will it run Minecraft? (I'm only half joking)

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Modest gaming laptop  
Jump to: