Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:18:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Fallout 3 GOTY $24.99 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 3 GOTY $24.99  (Read 4654 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

on: June 10, 2010, 10:51:07 AM

I never bought any of the Fallout 3 expansions.  Seems decent.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:58:59 AM by Furiously »

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:14:39 PM

Was waiting to buy Fallout 3 at all until GOTY went on sale.  Hmmm....

Elder Scrolls is also $5 for GOTY edition, and Morrowind is $8.50 for GOTY.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 01:17:50 PM

Stop talking, I've already bought 3 games today. Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:29:39 PM

I never played Oblivion. It's probably been modded into a playable state by now.

(edit)

Reading a character design FAQ reminded my of why I hate Betheseda. To optimize your character build you have to throttle the rate at which you level up and be careful about which skills (and their tied stats) you level. Seriously, I know kill monster -> XP -> ding! -> stronger character is old-school but at least it's not counter-intuitive like this.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:11:26 PM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:23:32 AM

There are mods that change the levelling mechanics to a more sane approach. Thats not even cheating, as the basic premise is totally retarded. You could finish the game by level 2 due to autoscaling, too.

I won't be coaxed into buying Fallout 3 a third time unless its at -75%  awesome, for real
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:59:17 AM

This mod was featured in a gaming magazine here and got some pretty rave reviews.
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5573

Ability to explore the inside of all  the buildings of downtown DC.
Making me think about pulling the trigger on this deal a little more. I'm still kind of leaning towards waiting it out for a -75% deal tho.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 06:44:21 AM

There are mods that change the levelling mechanics to a more sane approach. Thats not even cheating, as the basic premise is totally retarded. You could finish the game by level 2 due to autoscaling, too.

Indeed... bought this, it was a terrible error giving steam my credit card details and thus making games almost a one click purchase. I did some reading and I'm running "realistic levelling" mod which basically means you can't gimp yourself so I can ignore their stupid stupid levelling scheme. Not terribly tempted by more FO3 as the balance was already wacked halfway though the first game.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 08:26:07 AM

Eh, for all the DLC stuff and ease of not having to track down discs, I grabbed Oblivion. Now going to have to look up mods again, I played it unmodded the first time (as a combat character, so leveling didn't gimp me at all).

Falllout 3 I'm also in the camp of waiting until it's a bit cheaper, even if it was the more tempting purchase. There's just something about games priced under $10 that bypasses the higher brain functions.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:29:47 AM

Been waiting for Fallout3 to go on sale for some time. Better than I expected.

I originally played this on the 360. Looking forward to seeing it run on a real machine--and modding the hell out of it. Good times.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 09:52:26 PM

Are the Morrowind expansions any fun?  That Oblivion DLC looks pretty dumb. 

Is the $25 worth it for the Fallout DLC?  I heard most were pretty bad outside of Broken Steel.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:55:29 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:30:04 AM

I enjoyed playing through the Morrowind expansions once, they are almost as big as the main game apiece in terms of storyline content. When I tried to replay though I got impatient and a bit lost in the convoluted quest chains. The northern one with all the Nordic stuff was really fun.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 08:54:09 AM

Is the $25 worth it for the Fallout DLC?  I heard most were pretty bad outside of Broken Steel.
The Pitt and Broken Steel are worth it on their own.  Operation Anchorage was amusing and with it you can get the Chinese Stealth Suit, which makes the early game much more amusing.

Broken Steel was just cheese however, I just ran around with Fawkes at level 30, I swear Fawkes would need to get hit with 10 mini nukes at that level to die.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 09:56:12 AM

Don't run around with Fawkes. He's annoying anyway.

Although, granted, any decent character at 30 was a juggernaut, but there are some mods out there that rebalance the game and make combat more...risky, lets say.

The main reason to get this on the PC is for the mods. I'm really quite surprised how well visually the 360 version stacks up against it, despite everything being maxed on my PC. Control is actually somewhat better on the 360, though non-VATS combat is easier on the PC. The main differences are slightly better textures and the enormous visual horizon on the PC (which is very cool, admittedly).
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 07:45:47 AM

Although, granted, any decent character at 30 was a juggernaut, but there are some mods out there that rebalance the game and make combat more...risky, lets say.

The main reason to get this on the PC is for the mods. I'm really quite surprised how well visually the 360 version stacks up against it, despite everything being maxed on my PC. Control is actually somewhat better on the 360, though non-VATS combat is easier on the PC. The main differences are slightly better textures and the enormous visual horizon on the PC (which is very cool, admittedly).

NECK-ROW!

Just decided to pick up this on Steam since it was in my wheel house of $10. Think there is about 2 hours left on the sale in case you were curious.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 10:18:29 AM

You're crazy. Fawkes is awesome.

Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 10:55:21 AM

Actually I liked most of the Oblivion DLC's but they mostly add a theamed 'house' for certain character types (Fighter, Wizard, Rogue & evil git). Horse Armour and Spell Tomes you probably would never notice/use and I've never been bothered to run around finding the pieces for the Orrey for the benefit it gives, the Razor might be a useful weapon depending on your build.

Knights and Shivering do add quite alot to the game because technically they are expansions and not DLC.

I'm still hoping Morrowind gets a day of further discount so I can get it on Steam (I already own it but having had Oblivion first it was hard to get over the dated graphics and I keep kidding myself that if I get it on Steam I'm more likely to play it!)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Fallout 3 GOTY $24.99  
Jump to: