Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:16:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: House of Reps. eyeing warning labels for video games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: House of Reps. eyeing warning labels for video games  (Read 5689 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

on: January 26, 2011, 07:12:10 PM

I didn't see this posted elsewhere so thought I'd share it. I debated putting this in politics but I doubt there will be much argument over this one.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1146315p1.html

"The video game industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers – to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products," said Rep. Baca.

So, basically the same old stuff once again. I doubt it'll pass and if it did I'd expect to see some kind of lawsuit over it since, to my knowledge, there has never been any valid study that made a link between games and violence.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:17 AM

Oh, I dunno - They really proved that link to Dungeons and Dragons.  I mean, Vin Diesel plays it and I've seen him on the TV killing TONS of people...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:59:48 AM

It's good thing we're in an era of peace and prosperity where our rulers don't need to deal with important issues.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:15:40 AM

Wouldn't this be a positive thing for the gaming industry? 

I thought that music labeled as explicit had higher sales than titles without the sticker/warning (except at Walmart of course).

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:05 AM

What about the current rating system?  How would this be more useful than that?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:43:52 AM

It wouldn't. Parents need to start taking an interest in their kids habits if they're concerned and stop trying to offload it onto some arbitrary rating system.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:07 AM

Pretty sure the gov't wants control in the regulation rather than the way it is now through the ESRB.  

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:11:39 AM

Which will fail for the same reasons the other ratings systems aren't controlled by the government.

I agree with having a ratings system.  The government should have no part in it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:22:34 AM

The rating system is fine and in some cases it's over the top in how they define things as violent or drug use. Heck, LOTRO has drug use because of Pipeweed.

From my time at EB I learned that there are parents who care and parents who are looking for a babysitter. The worst was a mother who bought her son, who couldn't have been older than 10, GTA San Andreas despite us pointing out the rating and reading off every note on the ESRB label. Just for fun, here's that list: Blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, strong sexual content, use of drugs.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 09:50:42 AM

The rating system is fine and in some cases it's over the top in how they define things as violent or drug use. Heck, LOTRO has drug use because of Pipeweed.

From my time at EB I learned that there are parents who care and parents who are looking for a babysitter. The worst was a mother who bought her son, who couldn't have been older than 10, GTA San Andreas despite us pointing out the rating and reading off every note on the ESRB label. Just for fun, here's that list: Blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, strong sexual content, use of drugs.

I can't remember what I was playing when I was 10, but I think it probably had mario in it, and there is definitely heavy mushroom usage in that game.  why so serious?

That being said, I learned early on the difference between fiction and reality, I can't say that it ever occurred to me to actually do in real life things that I did in video games.  If that is a big issue, I can't help but feel people need a better grounding in reality more than they need a new rating system for video games.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:11:48 AM

Did you have an issue with her purchasing GTA because of the gore, intense violence, strong language, strong sexual content, or because of the depiction of drug use?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:13:58 AM

Oh, I dunno - They really proved that link to Dungeons and Dragons.  I mean, Vin Diesel plays it and I've seen him on the TV killing TONS of people...

Bwahahaha. Win++ :D

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 11:26:54 AM

Did you have an issue with her purchasing GTA because of the gore, intense violence, strong language, strong sexual content, or because of the depiction of drug use?

I took issue with her not flinching at the fact that she found none of that inappropriate for a kid under the age of 10.

I share the same point of view as Malakili.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 11:37:03 AM

Oh, I dunno - They really proved that link to Dungeons and Dragons.  I mean, Vin Diesel plays it and I've seen him on the TV killing TONS of people...

Um, yeah, about that...

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/26/dungeons-dragons-threatens-prison-security-court-rules/

TLDR version: because it is a "cooperative game" it might help gangs form.  awesome, for real

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 11:45:46 AM

I will only support that if you have to keep an updated character sheet with your inventory clearly labeled to be in the grou^H^H^H^Hgang
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 01:31:37 AM

Oh, I dunno - They really proved that link to Dungeons and Dragons.  I mean, Vin Diesel plays it and I've seen him on the TV killing TONS of people...

Um, yeah, about that...

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/26/dungeons-dragons-threatens-prison-security-court-rules/

TLDR version: because it is a "cooperative game" it might help gangs form.  awesome, for real

Rogue D&D groups prowl the streets, holding up passers-by for loot drops under the threat of a severe dice-bag beating.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 07:55:18 AM

"On a roll of 15-20 I'm going to beat you up.  On a roll of 1 I'm going to let you hit me."

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 12:06:24 PM

"On a roll of 15-20 I'm going to beat you up.  On a roll of 1 I'm going to let you hit me hit myself."
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 05:03:31 PM

I read this thread title as "house of rapes"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 06:46:31 PM

I took issue with her not flinching at the fact that she found none of that inappropriate for a kid under the age of 10.

I share the same point of view as Malakili.

I'm sure we have similar EBstop experiences. I played MK when it came out. Mom was entirely aware of the rating, saw the blood, and chuckled.

The issue for me is that now there is tons more "mature" content in games that are a lot more realistic. I've actually had a few parents change their minds after I pointed an M rating out to them. I've had others ask me for my opinion on if they should buy the game for the kid, for which my response was roughly, "I'm not a parent, and it's not my kid we're talking about, so I'm in no position to decide." Different kids are going to vary in maturity and what they can handle.

But again, it really comes down to parents needing to be involved, mentally, in the purchases for their children. Relying on the government to handle it, in this case, is completely retarded - a one size fits all solution is simply not appropriate here. Also, the current ratings work fine, as long as parents pay attention, and retailers actually enforce the damn ratings by not selling M-rated games to children without consent. More than one parent had to come into my store in a huff because I wouldn't simply sell the new hotness M game to a 12 year old kid while they waited in the car. Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 08:30:31 PM

Don't they already put warning labels on video games?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 08:40:38 PM

Pretty sure the gov'tCongressman wants [government] control in the regulation rather than the way it is now through the ESRB.   

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 06:31:16 AM

Parents don't give a shit what they buy for their kids anymore. My good friend is a manager of a gamestop, frequently I am in there while he is trying to explain to parents why Grand theft auto is bad for their 6 year old. I've seen more than my fair share of parents not even giving a shit and buying games like that for their very young kids.

This one lady was the worst though, her son was seven, and my friend was like, "In this game you can pick up a hooker, pay her, then kill her to get your money back." This lady was completely fine with that and got the game for him anyways.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:33:10 AM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 08:30:59 AM

"In this game you can pick up a hooker, pay her, then kill her to get your money back."

I wonder how receptive RockStar would be to a flash game when you buy a game (say GTA), pay for it, and then kill a game developer to get your money back. Money hats?  why so serious?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 08:44:28 AM

Parents don't give a shit what they buy for their kids anymore. My good friend is a manager of a gamestop, frequently I am in there while he is trying to explain to parents why Grand theft auto is bad for their 6 year old. I've seen more than my fair share of parents not even giving a shit and buying games like that for their very young kids.

This one lady was the worst though, her son was seven, and my friend was like, "In this game you can pick up a hooker, pay her, then kill her to get your money back." This lady was completely fine with that and got the game for him anyways.

I think this mentality persists in parents who view games as nothing more than interactive cartoons with no basis in reality. They are entertainment used to pacify kids to give parents a break. I'd venture to say they do not see any connection between the themes in the games and real life. Some do obviously, but parents like the ones you mention really don't.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 08:46:50 AM

"In this game you can pick up a hooker, pay her, then kill her to get your money back."

I wonder how receptive RockStar would be to a flash game when you buy a game (say GTA), pay for it, and then kill a game developer to get your money back. Money hats?  why so serious?

Could I pirate the game in the game, but still kill the game developer and take his money?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 08:57:01 AM

I think this mentality persists in parents who view games as nothing more than interactive cartoons with no basis in reality. They are entertainment used to pacify kids to give parents a break. I'd venture to say they do not see any connection between the themes in the games and real life. Some do obviously, but parents like the ones you mention really don't.

Funny thing is, I never really wanted violent games as a kid.  I wouldn't have been able to understand what was going on in something like GTA at age 7, let alone had the dexterity to use the controller for a complicated game like that (though I do understand little kids pick that stuff up quick, so maybe I would've if I had the chance).  I was playing like...Tecmo Bowl and Mario Bros.

That being said I didn't play very many games as a young kid to begin with, I didn't have the patience to sit in front of a TV, I was always on the move - playing outside and such.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 08:58:27 AM

Could I pirate the game in the game, but still kill the game developer and take his money?

I'm thinking that for the hacker class in the game you could pirate the game and then report yourself to the 1-800 anti piracy hot line. When the game developer comes to investigate the crime you could kill them, take their money, and go pay for a hooker with it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: House of Reps. eyeing warning labels for video games  
Jump to: