Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:10:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Risen $15 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Risen $15  (Read 3241 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: November 13, 2010, 01:28:15 PM

No secret I'm a Piranha Bytes fanboi, but I've yet to work through my backlog to get to (the real Gothic 4) Risen (box on shelf).

$15 is probably a good deal if you like Gothic or eurojanky rpgs. If you rikey jankanese rpg, maybe not.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:58:36 PM

DRM alert. Until it's removed I'm not touching this one.

3rd-party DRM: TAGES™
3 machine activation limit

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 08:03:49 PM

Fuck me, I bought it and installed it. Didn't see that. I'm about to upgrade my PC, as well.  Mob

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:07:31 PM

What if I am a Bioware fanboy, and hate JRPGs?

I have never tried one of these EuroRPGs unless the Witcher counts (which I only found OK.) I found the Bethesda non-Fallout games to be OK at best if that helps.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:10:07 PM

Fuck me, I bought it and installed it. Didn't see that. I'm about to upgrade my PC, as well.  Mob

Also, there's a huge issue with people getting fucked on keys on the forums atm. Apparently the DRM server is down.  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 04:07:10 AM

It's easy for me to say since I got my copy verified without problems, but perhaps this will serve as an example of why you do not want bullshit DRM on your games. If lost sales aren't enough of an incentive, I don't know what ever will be.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 04:53:26 AM

Too bad about the TAGES. 3 activations is...  why so serious?

My wife loves games like this. 15€ was sounding reasonable. The demo wasn't too bad way back when. I'd like to actually kind of own the game however. 3 activations? Really? Wow.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 08:27:02 AM

On the one hand, DRM is bad. On the other hand, I love Gothic 2 and MAYBE installed it three times, I can only remember twice. But I bought it three times. One original full price, one $20 Gold Edition for NotR expansion, and once on steam because of a steam sale.

So for $15, and probably way cheaper down the line if you want to reinstall it again and for some reason can't make the phone call to reset your activations (or whatever their mechanism is)?

This isn't Ubi DRM, which is the only one outside Starforce I'd be upset about. You guys can be retarded about DRM sometimes.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 09:45:02 AM

This isn't Ubi DRM, which is the only one outside Starforce I'd be upset about. You guys can be retarded about DRM sometimes.
So activating it through steam isn't enough, a second activation system is required. And this doesn't strike you as wrong?

Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 12:31:01 PM

WTB answer to my question about the actual game, we have had this retarded DRM fight like 23443243 times.  Heart

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 03:52:19 PM

I have never tried one of these EuroRPGs unless the Witcher counts (which I only found OK.) I found the Bethesda non-Fallout games to be OK at best if that helps.

If you don't like the elder scroll games that much, and you didn't like the Witcher that much, you probably won't like this one that much either.  It's more of the same, but with the added benefit of being curb stomped by every single mob in the game also.  This more or less puts it up my alley for masochism though.  The demo should tell you if you want to play it or not though, but you can't get through steam last time I checked.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 05:18:21 PM

On the one hand, DRM is bad. On the other hand, I love Gothic 2 and MAYBE installed it three times, I can only remember twice. But I bought it three times. One original full price, one $20 Gold Edition for NotR expansion, and once on steam because of a steam sale.
So for $15, and probably way cheaper down the line if you want to reinstall it again and for some reason can't make the phone call to reset your activations (or whatever their mechanism is)?

Noone cares how many times you bought or installed Gothic 2 or which DRM you give a shit about. You're being an idiot fanboi. Steam should be quite enough, TYVM.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 05:41:22 PM

If you don't like the elder scroll games that much, and you didn't like the Witcher that much, you probably won't like this one that much either.  It's more of the same, but with the added benefit of being curb stomped by every single mob in the game also.  This more or less puts it up my alley for masochism though.  The demo should tell you if you want to play it or not though, but you can't get through steam last time I checked.

Cool, thanks.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 11:13:29 PM

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17035182&postcount=1

I find this an acceptable solution if its true.

Not that I would play Risen a second time. Its play and forget. But the option should still be mine.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:17:27 PM by Tebonas »
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 12:22:05 AM

Before letting this die (because the sale is no longer vaild)
This should be mentioned, as found through the link Tebonas provided.

Risen; 3 machine limit, 1 activation added back every 45 days.

An activation added back every 45 days actually seems just fine to me. I was worried because frankly the wife and I upgrade our rigs every 6 months or so, and she does randomly reinstall games multiple times a year. She may only play half a day, or she might get hooked back in and play for months. So 3 activations is a problem. However, 3 activations that refill themselves over slightly more than a month period seems just fine.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 01:44:31 AM

Before letting this die (because the sale is no longer vaild)
This should be mentioned, as found through the link Tebonas provided.

Risen; 3 machine limit, 1 activation added back every 45 days.

An activation added back every 45 days actually seems just fine to me. I was worried because frankly the wife and I upgrade our rigs every 6 months or so, and she does randomly reinstall games multiple times a year. She may only play half a day, or she might get hooked back in and play for months. So 3 activations is a problem. However, 3 activations that refill themselves over slightly more than a month period seems just fine.
I read ( but can't remember where, Risen official forums maybe ?) that the part about renewing activations is not true. You'd have to send an email to their support (not much worse, I think, depending on reaction time, of course)

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 04:59:30 AM

I did a quick search, and I didn't find an official verification this is actually the case, only unofficial verification. I wouldn't bet on them actually giving 1 extra activation pr 45 days, though.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that they've apparently removed tages from the physical copy, but they adamantly refuse to do it on the steam version. So it's clearly not a case of "protect the investment" anymore. Someone's been theorizing that it's there to make people go to their own store instead, which is funny because 1) that store sucks, 2) that store actually really sucls, and 3) apparently you only have 21 days after purchase to download your copy, I dunno if they'll even let you redownload it after that so if you lose the install files, it's your loss.

At least I had the option to get a physical copy at no extra cost when I bought War in the Pacific from Matrix Games, with a proper 300 page manual with PROPER high-quality paper.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 08:00:05 AM

Also, there's a huge issue with people getting fucked on keys on the forums atm. Apparently the DRM server is down.  awesome, for real
http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52745 awesome, for real

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 10:40:07 AM

That man needs an assistant to proof his forum posts for spelling and stupid jokes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Risen $15  
Jump to: