Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:11:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: L4D2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: L4D2  (Read 28863 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #105 on: October 06, 2010, 10:57:08 AM

That's funny. I've never played dead space, but I've played l4d 1 and 2, neither of them really scare me (maybe the occasional scare because I stumble into somone I didn't expect), but FEAR creeped me the fuck out. It seriously got under my skin, and I have to applaud monolith for that.

Another game you might want to look at if you like being scared, is Amnesia: The Dark Descent. http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: October 06, 2010, 11:06:34 AM

That's funny. I've never played dead space, but I've played l4d 1 and 2, neither of them really scare me (maybe the occasional scare because I stumble into somone I didn't expect), but FEAR creeped me the fuck out. It seriously got under my skin, and I have to applaud monolith for that.

Another game you might want to look at if you like being scared, is Amnesia: The Dark Descent. http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/

Yeah, I think there is a difference between startle and scare.  FEAR got into your head a little so you were literally sneaking around a little afraid of what might be around the next corner.   L4D seems more in the "BOO! AHA GOT YA" category, which isn't really "scare" to me.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: October 06, 2010, 11:10:11 AM

I'm on edge the whole time I play l4d, I don't know how anyone can be relaxed. Screaming hordes of sprinting zombies coming out of everywhere then some huge abomination bursts out and charges.  No place is safe, they just keep on coming and your ammo dwindles away, great stuff.

I've been meaning to check out that Amnesia game but I've already got a big back catalogue of games to get through and minecraft/civ 5 own my soul at the moment.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #108 on: October 06, 2010, 11:12:04 AM

I think I'm too old to play games like that now.  My heart's liable to give out.

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners was a good game in the same vein.  I still remember the "attack of the fishmen" scene where you're barricading doors behind you and can hear them smashing through one after another as you try to find a way out of the building.   ACK!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #109 on: October 06, 2010, 11:15:24 AM

Same goes with Doom3, that too is a BOO SCARED YOU kind of scary, which works for a while, but then you just get used to it and stop being startled.

I've really no idea what it was monolith did, but I wish more companies knew how to replicate how to get so thoroughly under your skin. Doom3 could've been a seriously scary game if it had been done right.

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners was a good game in the same vein.  I still remember the "attack of the fishmen" scene where you're barricading doors behind you and can hear them smashing through one after another as you try to find a way out of the building.   ACK!
Sounds like a proper nightmare situation to be in to get your blood pumping.

What happened if they caught you? An intimate chat with mr Cthulu himself?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #110 on: October 06, 2010, 11:21:49 AM

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners was a good game in the same vein.  I still remember the "attack of the fishmen" scene where you're barricading doors behind you and can hear them smashing through one after another as you try to find a way out of the building.   ACK!
Sounds like a proper nightmare situation to be in to get your blood pumping.

What happened if they caught you? An intimate chat with mr Cthulu himself?

I think they just beat you to death and you reloaded from quicksave.  The sequence was pretty unforgiving, so this actually happened a lot until you figured out the optimal path to safety that would let you stay just ahead of your pursuers.  On the plus side, you never got that sense of "oh, it's all scripted so the monsters will wait to smash through until I'm moving on to the next room," but on the minus side, the reloading and retrying was a little immersion-breaking.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #111 on: October 06, 2010, 12:38:06 PM

It was still terrifying. It was scripted so they break through JUST as you shut the door and barricade it against them, then have to run over and sloowwwllly slide this bookcase/dresser thing out of the way, while you hear splintering wood behind you...

Probably the best sequence in any game I've played. It was that good.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #112 on: October 06, 2010, 01:31:15 PM

It was still terrifying. It was scripted so they break through JUST as you shut the door and barricade it against them, then have to run over and sloowwwllly slide this bookcase/dresser thing out of the way, while you hear splintering wood behind you...

The scripting wasn't triggered off you shutting the door, though, it was all timed.  It was set up so that you had just enough time to do everything you needed to do to get away, but if you were even a little slow, they came through anyway and you were fucked.  On my repeated attempts to get it right I could get a sense of how well I was doing by how close behind me the fishmen were, since their speed remained constant regardless.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #113 on: October 07, 2010, 04:41:43 AM

Fucking Hell. I went and tried to buy a 4-pack for my other 3 accounts and a friend but Steam has closed the loophole that let Australians buy the non-gutted version.

Anyone out there in the US oir UK want to drop a $20 for a 4-pack to gift to the accounts while the big sale is on? I can reimburse immediately.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #114 on: November 03, 2010, 08:05:24 AM

I went and bought this in the L4D Bundle during the recent Halloween sale.

Why is the AI in single player so fucking dumb? I want to play through the single player campaign just once, so I can take it slow and enjoy the ambiance and get used to the levels. But the AI just makes me want to strangle them. It's like I'm playing ICO except I have to drag around some rednecks with guns behind me instead of a girl. Ugh.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: November 04, 2010, 11:24:32 AM

I went and bought this in the L4D Bundle during the recent Halloween sale.

Why is the AI in single player so fucking dumb? I want to play through the single player campaign just once, so I can take it slow and enjoy the ambiance and get used to the levels. But the AI just makes me want to strangle them. It's like I'm playing ICO except I have to drag around some rednecks with guns behind me instead of a girl. Ugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyNS7ZdY1A

Sadly, they already patched the ai.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:42:35 PM by Samwise »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: L4D2  
Jump to: