Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Mac Sound Issue Help 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mac Sound Issue Help  (Read 2063 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: October 01, 2010, 12:21:55 PM

Ok guys, I have an interesting problem, maybe someone here can help.

I am trying to figure out a software solution to turn down the bass on a OS X 10.6 system. I have a roommate recently started playing a lot of World of Warcraft, and stays up late doing it. He has a logitech 2.1 system, and the bass is really loud. It came with a hardware dongle that has bass adjustments on it, but even with the bass turned all the way down, its still super loud. At night it rattles through the whole house, even with his sound turned pretty low, just a rumble through the walls. I am sure our neighbors are hating it as well as we live in an apartment and there is a bedroom right above his room. Also, he is between jobs, so right now he is playing WoW most of the day. During the day he plays with the sound pretty high, and I'm sure that has to grate on the neighbors also, with the constant bass rumbling.

I don't want to constantly have to tell him to turn down his sound as its only the bass thats a problem.

OS X seems to have no built in system wide equalizer. I googled the issue, and found that people said to use a program called Audio Hijack Pro, which he already owns, but we couldnt seem to make it effect WoW. Also, Logitech is really bad about making Mac drivers for any of their hardware, so I couldnt find anything on that end.

What I really need is just some piece of software that will let me turn the bass down, or off in WoW for him.

Please help.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:16 PM

Not sue if there is a mixer tool on Osx that would work for that kind of thing.

I would suggest maybe getting him to buy a 20$ pair of headphones?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 12:36:09 PM

Hes got a nice pair of headphones. But I don't really want to tell him he has to use them all day long. I mean, he is in his room with the door closed, and I can't hear any of the other sound from his speakers, its only the bass thats the problem.

He has been using the headphones at night when I go to bed, but he often forgets, also I don't go to bed early, so its probably still annoying the neighbors who do.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:13:22 PM

Looks like we might have found something. A program called "Hear". It costs $50, but thats a small price to pay for sanity.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:34 PM

It sounds more like it is an issue with how his sub is positioned/setup than an OS audio thing.

I had similar issues with a set of Dell/Harmon Kardon speakers when I was staying at my mom's. It did not matter how low the bass was turned down (I played with the EQ on sound files through itunes to test and it did not help, any sound frequency that hit the sub caused the rumble).

Is his sub on a hard surface and tight in a corner?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 01:17:02 PM

Looks like we might have found something. A program called "Hear". It costs $50, but thats a small price to pay for sanity.
Why not just get some 2.0 speakers then?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 01:27:42 PM

Yeah, unplugging the sub might be the easiest solution. I also had this problem when I was in an apartment, the sound waves for the bass travel so far so easily.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 02:16:38 PM

Its on carpet, but it is in a corner. Ill see if moving it around will help.

Yeah, unplugging the sub might be the easiest solution. I also had this problem when I was in an apartment, the sound waves for the bass travel so far so easily.

The sub powers the other speakers, so thats a no go.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 02:33:37 PM

One thing with those 2.1 (or really anything .1 which use the sub to send the signals out to the other speakers) is that they almost always have a passive crossover chip inside which if it stops working properly, can send higher frequency sounds to the sub which tries to produce the high frequency sounds but does not efficiently so you hear more "bass".

I am pretty sure that was also part of my issues with the setup I mentioned earlier.

Try putting a pillow around the back side of the sub so that the sound waves are muffled before hitting the wall and see if that helps. The big problem if it truly is bass propogating is that you really can't muffle bass with usual sound deadening foam etc, putting the sub on one of those small 2" thick cinderblock paving stones would do more to isolate it than anything.

You could open it up and clip the leads to the speaker inside. I guarantee that will solve your problem :p
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:35:15 PM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 03:27:36 PM

my what do we have here?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 04:12:22 PM

Ahhh....thank you for making me laugh at my own unintended creepiness.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 06:19:18 PM

Rule 34.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 08:39:07 PM

You could open it up and clip the leads to the speaker inside. I guarantee that will solve your problem :p
That's where I was going next. If you want to be nice, you can drill a switch in the side of the enclosure so he can bypass it at will.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 09:43:15 PM

If the speaker system has a single cable coming from the PC, it only has two sound channels, and they're right and left speaker and the bass is redirected low frequency sound from your right and left channels.  If so, adjusting any setting labeled bass on your sound card is utterly meaningless: there is no bass channel.  You need to use an equalizer to eliminate all low frequency sound created by your computer below the threshold of the sub.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:55:32 PM by Sheepherder »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 10:07:21 PM

If the speaker system has a single cable coming from the PC, it only has two sound channels, and they're right and left speaker and the bass is redirected low frequency sound from your right and left channels.  If so, adjusting any setting labeled bass on your sound card is utterly meaningless: there is no bass channel.  You need to use an equalizer to eliminate all low frequency sound created by your computer below the threshold of the sub.

That's not entirely true. Most of those 2.1 systems (like I said before) have a crossover in them, and also have a "bass" dial on them which adjusts the level post-crossover into the sub.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 06:47:43 AM

It doesn't matter in either case, the bass software slider IS an equalizer. If the sub is filtered to 50-200 Hz or so, lowering the bass output will obviously also lower the volume of the subwoofer. Lowering the bass in software is pretty much analogous to turning down a dial on the subwoofer itself.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 08:28:04 AM

Not necessarily.  Whatever software he's using could be anticipating a dedicated bass channel (or configured incorrectly) and only attempting to modify that nonexistent channel (TRRS connector?  Two jacks?), and so leaving the low frequency on the stereo pair untouched, which is where the crossover will occur in a single jack (TRS connecter) 2.1 system.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:39:43 AM by Sheepherder »
Sweeper
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 08:58:34 AM

Yes, there can be many issues with a system. I could probably make up a few on my own... :)

Damn autocomplete...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:00:46 AM by Sweeper »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 11:31:57 AM

Update. That equalizer software Hear, worked like a charm. Its actually really neat software. For anyone running a Mac, I would recommend downloading the trial and checking it out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Mac Sound Issue Help  
Jump to: