Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:52:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: PayPal freezes account of Minecraft developer with over €600,000 in account 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PayPal freezes account of Minecraft developer with over €600,000 in account  (Read 7980 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 01:51:02 PM

I've seen that claim before, but never in any documented way, just random eBay sellers complaining that Paypal took their money with not enough details to really know who is at fault. It seems like if that was really happening all the time they'd have seen some legal repercussions by now? Although maybe they have and it just wasn't covered heavily or I wasn't paying attention.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 07:07:26 PM

eBay fucked over SA when they were raising money for Katrina.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 09:31:47 PM

Yeah, I have read the details of that and I'm not sure I can really blame them - there were a shitload of fake charities set up in the wake of Katrina. They certainly could have done a better job of resolving the situation once it became clear it wasn't a fake charity - they fucked that up completely, down to not refunding fees and such to donators, just the donated value - but the initial fund freeze I find a little hard to fault.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:58 AM

I am on Paypal's side on this.  They have exposure.  The benefits are lower processing fees to him.  A 5% holdback for 90 days is not insane. It is better than 3% of each transaction.  The guy can go where he wants but Paypal should not be condemned for implementing a reasonable safeguard against fraud.

The issue is with how autonomous Paypal is when it comes to handling peoples money. There's no one above to slap them when they do something stupid like freeze an account and take the money (which has happened) without explanation. No body that handles as many transactions and idle cash as Paypal should have that power.

And that risk will be judged by the free market. If Paypal wants to grow beyond eBay transactions and be a global business to business payments system, it will have to convince customers that it will act reasonably and predictably.

I have never played WoW.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:55 AM

And that risk will be judged by the free market. If Paypal wants to grow beyond eBay transactions and be a global business to business payments system, it will have to convince customers that it will act reasonably and predictably.

I was under the impression they had grown beyond eBay. I rarely see an online vendor who doesn't use Paypal and in most cases it's their only payment method.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 06:54:26 PM

The real question is: how the fuck is this game making so much money? I mean it's cool and all and could grow to become something really amazing, but it seems like a really niche thing. How is it making millions of dollars with no advertising and being just this side of alpha?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 06:59:07 PM

The real question is: how the fuck is this game making so much money? I mean it's cool and all and could grow to become something really amazing, but it seems like a really niche thing. How is it making millions of dollars with no advertising and being just this side of alpha?

Word of mouth is a lot more powerful than advertising. So far Notch has had 4chan, SA, Neogaf and Valve talk about his game with high praise. Valve generated something like 20,000 units (or was it 200,000?) in sales overnight by posting a link on the TF2 blog.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:28 PM

Word of mouth is a lot more powerful than advertising. So far Notch has had 4chan, SA, Neogaf and Valve talk about his game with high praise. Valve generated something like 20,000 units (or was it 200,000?) in sales overnight by posting a link on the TF2 blog.

20,000 I imagine, because I he just recently hit the 100,000 mark.  I know the game is big on reddit as well, which has a lots of users.  Fact of the matter is, even at this early stage its unique enough, charming enough, and fun enough to be well worth what hes charging, and fans of the game are extremely effective advertisers in their own right.
birdsguts
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 09:37:54 PM

I'd place a healthy bet on word of mouth as well. All the right people are talking it up in all the right places.
I see similar things in my day to day life (I work with alot of "entertainment"... setting up live shows, music production, film etc...) and have come to the conclusion that word of mouth wins time and time again. Not even facebook spam and myspace flyer-ing can touch a "personal recommendation". This even extends to blogs and review sites.
Thinking of it another way, Legos and Erector Sets and "build" toys have always been fun for everyone. I think the appeal of a game like this might not be as "niche" as alot of people think. All humans want to create in some form or another.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 02:15:59 AM

It's also cheap.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 03, 2010, 04:25:12 AM

I've seen that claim before, but never in any documented way, just random eBay sellers complaining that Paypal took their money with not enough details to really know who is at fault. It seems like if that was really happening all the time they'd have seen some legal repercussions by now? Although maybe they have and it just wasn't covered heavily or I wasn't paying attention.

WARNING! :WORDS:

http://ash-ridley.blogspot.com/2006/02/and-now-for-something-completely.html
a small follow up in the first few paragraphs http://ash-ridley.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2007-03-14T14%3A02%3A00Z

The negative balance eventually got sorted out and subsequently a refund over 12 months after the initial sale.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 03, 2010, 09:24:49 AM

It's also cheap.

This. Ten euros translated to roughly $12.50 USD last week, and in one week I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: PayPal freezes account of Minecraft developer with over €600,000 in account  
Jump to: