Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:54:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Public Enemies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Public Enemies  (Read 3744 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

on: March 05, 2009, 06:15:45 AM

TRAILER

This looks promising. Great cast, and a director who knows how to handle this kind of story. Although I didn't go nuts for Miami Vice, Heat is still one of my all time favourite films.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:59:46 AM

DO WANT.

That line in the trailer was Depp telling the guy to put his lunch money or some shit away.  Still could be a Heat homage, which is fine by me.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:20:03 AM

Instead of inspiration from Heat, I'd say the story of Dillinger inspires tons of things the other way around. Will be cool to see Depp in another crime role.. I really dug Donnie Brasco.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:19:28 PM

Michael Mann, Crime Thriller, Johhny Depp as Dillinger. That's a hard combination to fuck up.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:27:13 AM

Michael Mann, Crime Thriller, Johhny Depp as Dillinger. That's a hard combination to fuck up.

Yeah, been looking forward to this one for a while for just those reasons.  Seeing the trailer today sealed the deal even more.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:28:54 PM

This comes out this weekend.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

- Viin
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:05:03 AM

This comes out this weekend.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It's actually a Wednesday opening (Tuesday midnights) along with Ice Age.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 09:03:32 AM

Saw it last night.

Other than the fact that Depp and Cotillard have zero chemistry, the movie is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Depp is a likable, believable "gentleman gangster" as Dillinger and Bale sells his role well. You know how it's gonna end, but you still hope it doesn't anyway.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 07:30:48 AM

The acting was top notch but I thought the movie was rather boring. It could have used about a half an hour of trimming down. Plus, I never gave a shit about any one of the characters, so what were supposed to be dramatic moments instead left me feeling rather bored and uncaring. Hell, I was even bored during the shoot outs.

I suggest waiting for rental on this one so you can fast forward through the multiple long shots of Johnny Depp showing off his ability to act with facial expressions while I'm assuming Michael Mann is fapping behind the camera.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 04:38:05 PM

Caught this this weekend again.

Cinematography A+.
Acting B-. Depp is good, but pretty standard. Christian Bale was pretty bland, and had a very poor presense, as if he was only half-heartedly in the role. The french actress, Marion Cotillard was seriously wawaweewah  and did a decent acting job.

Action sequences A-. Good, nothing too spectacular

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 05:47:12 PM

Not good. Not bad. Watchable for the final scene only.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:47:36 PM

Watchable for Marion Cotillard, who I've had a crush on since, Kid's Game

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 11:03:34 AM

Saw it this weekend as well. I was a bit underwhelmed - it moves pretty slow. But I thought Depp was good (have I seen a movie with him in it that I actually didn't like? Hmm don't think so), but the bits between the action are a bit long. Could have been brought down from 2hrs 30mins to 2hrs pretty easily.

The cinematography was interesting, but it kept reminding me of how they film Soaps. The gun fights, especially the one at night, were pretty darn cool - the whole movie could have been just those with minimal filler and been an A+.

- Viin
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 02:32:47 PM

Action sequences A-. Good, nothing too spectacular

If "good, nothing too spectacular" gets an A-, what the hell gets a C? Kids and their curves these days!

I have never played WoW.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 04:50:36 PM

This movie was a bore.  Overly long and  overwrought.  Much more of a romance flick than a gangster movie.  Slow pacing and not in a good way (nothing thought provoking happens). 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 07:15:16 PM

I thought it was very interesting to watch but really it suffered from costing us $11/ticket to see and being 2.5 hours long.  The music was pretty cool though the score they used throughout didn't always work perfectly.  As a period piece it was impressive and stylistically Mann is still a really cool guy.  Sadly Bale is just a sack of boring shit these days and the script itself was all fucking over the place.  There were so many subplots and themes picked up and dropped and characters came and went so that the whole thing kept me off balance as a viewer.

Could have been amazing, the action was really stark and chilling, totally loved the shoot outs but the script needed a ton of work, I mean if you just put together the storyboards for that movie I think it should be obvious that it was all over the damn place.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 10:17:22 AM

Yeah, I don't think the score worked out for it either. The orchestral parts, I mean. Just reeked of that kind of melodrama Mann indulges in a bit. The blues number however fit.

On the other hand, Mann knows how to film gunfights.. I always like the way guns sound in his movies.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 10:00:07 AM

This movie was a bore.  Overly long and  overwrought.  Much more of a romance flick than a gangster movie.  Slow pacing and not in a good way (nothing thought provoking happens). 

Amazingly, I actually agree with you on this. I finally saw it this weekend. I was utterly bored with it. I can't understand how a 30's crime movie with Johnny Depp, Christian Bale and Michael Mann could possibly be so unbearably boring, but it was excruciating. I felt every single second of the running time. I never got involved with any of the characters or actors at all. None of the supporting cast was given any explanation or characterization, both Depp and Bale were flat without any sort of depth to the characters at all. Depp seemed completely bored. The main actress annoyed the ever-living shit out of me from the moment she opened her mouth. I couldn't stand her, and I can't explain why. The choice to shoot it like Collateral failed miserably. What worked with Collateral felt cold and dead to me, especially the night scenes. It did not work for the period piece at all. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it was awfully damn boring. There wasn't enough historical context given to make it a good historical pic or a biopic, and the story they chose to tell really bored me to tears.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 03:29:08 AM

You know you're an asshole when people are surprised they agree with you on anything.   awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 11:45:40 AM

Well, yeah.  awesome, for real

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Public Enemies  
Jump to: