Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Twitch.tv on my tv 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twitch.tv on my tv  (Read 1373 times)
Bann
Terracotta Army

on: November 18, 2013, 06:43:47 PM

I was carping in the console thread about wanting to find a way to watch twitch on my tv. I'm betting that someone here can confirm or deny some of the ideas I've started to research. Clearly stated, my goal is to watch dota 2 on my living room TV. The less hassle the better, and if its cheap enough to put on my xmas list that would be awesome. Heres what I've looked into so far:

PS4/Xbone - PS4 talks alot about how easy it is to share things on twitch, I've not heard specifically that its really easy to watch streams. Anyone that has one already can confirm/deny?

HTPC - Would definitely work the best, but would also be the most expensive. I also dont see myself getting any extra utility (Steam big screen?) out of it. I wish steambox was out already.

Chromecast - The price seems awesome, but my googling indicates that twitch is not supported at this time. Some posts that cause my eyes to glaze over had something that looked like workarounds. Does anyone have this and could comment?

AppleTV - Again, twitch not supported at this time. However, people seem to have success by pairing it to their ipad or whatever and accessing from that.

Huh - What totally obvious thing that does this have I completely overlooked?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:52:20 PM

Chromecast - The price seems awesome, but my googling indicates that twitch is not supported at this time. Some posts that cause my eyes to glaze over had something that looked like workarounds. Does anyone have this and could comment?
A chromecast can display a chrome browser window, I have streamed Twitch.

Fucking Google needs to hurry up and open the api.

"Me am play gods"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:53 PM

If you have a laptop you can probably hook it up to your TV with just a cable and possibly an adapter.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:23:42 PM

I've heard some people have been pc gaming on their tv Since 2003.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:44:29 PM

I've heard some people have been pc gaming on their tv Since 2003.
Really ? How do they like it ?  ACK!

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:56:38 PM

Don't encourage him Ohhhhh, I see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 10:59:43 PM

It makes ducks excited.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:35:20 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 03:38:34 AM

I have a roku and there is an "unofficial" twitch.tv channel I watch frequently.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 06:44:46 AM

I have a roku and there is an "unofficial" twitch.tv channel I watch frequently.

How does this work? Are you happy with the quality? Is it functionally any different than watching on your pc/laptop?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 05:40:09 AM

If you own a roku you can add private channels through a password page on roku's site.  Then your roku will be updated with the channel info.  Basically it's like the website, though it doesn't really have a search functionality and only displays like the top 50 games being played, so finding that one guy playing "pokemon adventures, the legend of pika" isn't really a thing.  It's just some program some guy made to take twitch channels and stream through a roku feed.

I haven't noticed any difference in quality though.  If twitch is lagging and stuttering, you'll get roughly the same quality through roku, though instead of pausing you get repeated signals or echo broadcastings for a second or two.

I'm happy with the quality, but if I want to see detail the tv screen is a bit too far away, but if I want to have background noise and there's an entertaining streamer, say OddOne, I'll put it up on through the roku.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:19:36 AM

Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 05:48:15 PM

I ended up going with a chromecast. I'm very satisfied so far. I've been streaming MLG columbus all weekend to my tv from a macbook pro, and the quality is outstanding - I think a large part of that is due to the MLG streams being higher quality then your average twitch stream. If anyone is on the fence about a chromecast, I'd highly recommend it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Twitch.tv on my tv  
Jump to: