Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:09:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8.  (Read 6046 times)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 10:56:06 AM

Ugh, that's horrible. I do not like and do not want to spend the money on a touchscreen. The interface is fine for a cell phone or tablet, but I can't imagine trying to use it on a screen.

Also given MS' record, I'm not exactly thrilled as a sys admin about the possibilities of lots of little apps that talk to each other and have a live presence on the interwebs.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 10:58:37 AM

Meet your future desktop

why so serious? why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 11:01:04 AM

Looks like you're trying to save your document.

Please insert a quarter to continue...
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 01:31:38 PM

Web-connected and Web-powered apps built using HTML5 and JavaScript that have access to the full power of the PC.
Fully touch-optimized browsing, with all the power of hardware-accelerated Internet Explorer 10.

Those two things alone (with Microsoft's track record and the shitty state of IE9) tells me this OS will be an abortion of security fuckups and shitty design choices that will only be worthwhile in Windows 9.

ie6 the OS version!
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 05:09:54 AM

Bit more details on Windows 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MnEndww2YQ

All they're talking about is (from what I gathered, before I couldn't be arsed to view more of it) that the apps are in focus, no title bar or menu etc, and "it works with keyboard and mouse too!".

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 06:15:16 AM

Naturally it'll work with mouse and keyboard. The WP7 emulator works just fine with mouse and keyboard, too. The only thing that doesn't work is multitouch, which is overrated, anyway.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 06:19:46 AM

The only thing that doesn't work is multitouch, which is overrated, anyway.
So very, very wrong.

I use two devices daily, one has some multitouch (magic mouse) and one has a traditional trackpad (sidebar and bottombar scrolling). In both cases the lack of multitouch is a constant annoyance that slows down usability. It's a great tech that really needs to be integrated into anything with a touch interface.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 06:51:46 AM

I agree.  Multitouch is spectacular
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #43 on: June 06, 2011, 06:58:02 AM

NDA

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:47 AM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 01:38:18 PM

My team isn't but the company always is.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #46 on: June 09, 2011, 05:36:07 AM

If they use UNIX, drop me a PM. awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 09, 2011, 07:00:12 AM

Recent job fair made me realize how little 11 years of experience stands out in a room full of recent BS. Made me sad, I have all this practical experience but no paper (well, my cert fwiw) and everyone was drooling over these unproven whelps. Ah, well. I really hate the fucking tech industry some days.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #48 on: June 09, 2011, 03:09:59 PM

We tend to look for experience though too. Hell, I wouldn't have a job if it came down to relying on my English lit degree. I've compared it to the staff sergeants and the academy lieutenants. The LTs are officers, but the sarge knows what's up.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8.  
Jump to: