Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:50:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Tornadoes Hit the South, Hundreds of Dollars of Damage Done 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tornadoes Hit the South, Hundreds of Dollars of Damage Done  (Read 11763 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 27, 2011, 09:45:42 PM

For tornadoes, you want to bury. Not the best choice for hurricanes, though. :)

For a fun building, check out the Vehicle Assembly Building. It's down at KSC, and it's where they put together rockets before rolling them out to the launch pad. (These days it's where they mate the Shuttle with the Stack).
The VAB is 526 feet (160.3 m) tall, 716 feet (218.2 m) long and 518 feet (157.9 m) wide. It covers 8 acres (3 ha), and encloses 129,428,000 cubic feet (3,665,000 cubic meters) of space.[4]

The building has 10,000 pounds of air conditioning equipment including 125 ventilators on the roof supported by four large air handlers (four cylindrical structures west of the building) to keep moisture under control. Air in the building can be completely replaced every hour. The interior volume of the building is so vast that it has its own weather, including "rain clouds form[ing] below the ceiling on very humid days",[5] which the moisture reduction systems are designed to minimize.

Located in Florida, the building was constructed to withstand hurricanes and tropical storms with a foundation consisting of 30,000 cubic yards of concrete and 4,225 steel rods driven 160 feet into limestone bedrock.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 28, 2011, 03:02:40 AM

Or, like the guy I heard interviewed on NPR today, bury an old bus in a hill behind your house then use that for shelter.   His brother did the same thing with an old van.   Certainly cheaper than building a whole concrete shelter underground.

I'm talking about doing the entire house minus the front face below grade, ideally partway up the slope in the southern exposure of a hill, with most of the structure surrounded by weeping tile.  You build your living rooms on the exposed end, and your bathroom, utility rooms, and bedrooms in the back.  It's pretty much wind proof and is actually a very energy efficient design.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 28, 2011, 03:51:31 AM

I'm talking about doing the entire house minus the front face below grade, ideally partway up the slope in the southern exposure of a hill, with most of the structure surrounded by weeping tile.  You build your living rooms on the exposed end, and your bathroom, utility rooms, and bedrooms in the back.  It's pretty much wind proof and is actually a very energy efficient design.
Flooding is an issue, and you'd have to bring in dirt to build up the hills in most places. You'd also have to anchor it with plants to prevent erosion, which means you need to have regional plants that'll do the job.

Dirt and stone are very good insulators, and there's a reason they put tornado shelters underground. There's just a lot of places where that's not an efficient solution, although you did manage to come up with a pretty good design on the whole 'wanting some actual damn windows' front. My wife would love a bedroom with no windows. :) She likes it dark and cave-like.

Hmm. I wonder how my dream hurricane home would hold up to tornadoes? Steel framed, integrated metal hurricane shutters -- the wall facings and roof would be the real problem. Pretty sure a tornado would leave the frame standing, but not much else. Certainly rip the roof off.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #73 on: May 28, 2011, 04:38:44 AM

Burying the house is a decent idea, but I'd hate to deal with all the water issues, and I don't just mean flooding.  You've got a basin on the top and sides now, not just the foundation.  Think about how damp and dank some basements that aren't built properly get.  It's something you'd have to really focus on.

As for the Hurricane house.. you could design that steel building so your roof structure stays in place.. but no matter what you do the sheathing's coming off.  The sheathing of your walls as well, most likely.  Still, it's not the wind that does the bulk of the damage in a tornado, it's the missiles it's carrying.  All that timber, trash and -at Joplin Speeds- CARS that are whirling about at 250+mph.

The last few days had me wondering about relative wind speeds between hurricanes and tornadoes.  A c5 Hurricane has windspeeds "In excess of" 156 mph (250 kph).  That only rates as an F2 tornado.  An F5 like Joplin has to have winds between 261-318 mph (420-512 kph).   That's damn scary.

The Fujita Scale indicates that an F5 will even badly damage reinforced concrete structures.. which explains why the Hospital in Joplin didn't stand much of a chance.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 28, 2011, 04:59:45 AM

Sorry we cancelled the shuttle program NASA, can you turn off the weather machine now?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 28, 2011, 06:31:28 AM

Tornadoes will have faster winds than hurricanes, so the immediate area they touch is more likely to be damaged.  Hurricanes though span a mind-boggling area, and are sustained.  While their winds can do significant damage, they also bring water damage and can ravage an hour for twelve continuous hours.

Some building techniques are probably applicable to both, I imagine they have different requirements as well.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #76 on: May 28, 2011, 07:28:27 AM

Some of the larger hurricanes, while having sustained wins @ only the F2 scale (in terms of tornadoes), do show significant microbursts inside the storm as well as having the winds do complete 180s in an instant. I'll look for the webpage I read that on a little later today. I was reading up on it when Wilma blew through southern Florida out to the Atlantic and we were all left wondering how a storm that came across the state still had that much strength to do that kind of damage.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 28, 2011, 11:02:01 AM

Tornados have the added problems of the axis of rotation being relatively small which leads to a very large pressure differential between the wind-wall and the eye and creates a lot of suction. A tornado is not just blowing things over, it is actually sucking things up. I have seen pictures of small ponds having almost their entire volume of water (and fish inside) picked up by a tornado that went directly over them.

A tornado is nature's wet-dry vac (with the outlet plug open).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 28, 2011, 08:59:06 PM

Sorry we cancelled the shuttle program NASA, can you turn off the weather machine now?
No. They still stack up rocket bits in there. :)

The sheer scale and power of what it takes to get shit into space is hard to miss when you tour the Pad and VAB, since it's full of things like "Oh, we dump 20,000 gallons of water into the blast pit at launch. What? For heat? Oh gods no. It's to muffle the sound. Otherwise the Shuttle would explode. It gets really loud, you know"
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 29, 2011, 07:58:07 AM

Didnt they report that the tornado in Joplin even took down a number of steel framed buildings?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #80 on: May 29, 2011, 12:10:35 PM

Never make nerds angry.  It's one of the classic blunders.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 29, 2011, 03:54:53 PM

Didn't they report that the tornado in Joplin even took down a number of steel framed buildings?

Steel construction may mean many things.  Some of those things are not what one would assume.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 29, 2011, 08:00:45 PM

Finally, a realistic explanation!

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 30, 2011, 10:03:17 AM

Tornados have the added problems of the axis of rotation being relatively small which leads to a very large pressure differential between the wind-wall and the eye and creates a lot of suction. A tornado is not just blowing things over, it is actually sucking things up. I have seen pictures of small ponds having almost their entire volume of water (and fish inside) picked up by a tornado that went directly over them.

Spoilered for size.  ACK!

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 30, 2011, 10:19:29 AM

That should be spoilered for more than just the size.  ACK!

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: June 01, 2011, 04:58:15 PM

Apparently several tornados touched down in western Massachusettes today. The most well publicized landed in Springfield.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 02, 2011, 03:20:58 PM

Tornado over the Connecticut river in Springfield: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r-video/28099922/detail.html

A pair of idiots + car + mobile phone camera = http://youtu.be/636M8gOEtao
Note the change of tone from "Haha it's a little tornado! Sweet!" to "Oh fuck it's a tornado! We're gonna die!"

Someone crawling out from under the stairs in the garage he work(s/ed) at, seconds after a tornado went overhead: http://youtu.be/SSPMOoAEys8
NB: There is some strong language, as you might expect. Here's a vid from a little later by the same guy - http://youtu.be/MZXsDc072yg
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:38:58 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 03, 2011, 01:47:46 PM

The other issue with tornadoes is not just the wind but the very high velocity projectiles that often accompany those winds. Its all fun and games if your house can handle the wind speeds but cannot handle the Chevy truck flying through the air. They make reinforced tornado shelter rooms but still by far the safest is a root celler/basement/buried structure. Designing a building to handle the wind speeds is very doable but trying to armor a house to withstand the high velocity flying debris without looking like an armored box is a bit more tricky.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Tornadoes Hit the South, Hundreds of Dollars of Damage Done  
Jump to: