Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:16:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Up In The Air 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Up In The Air  (Read 4290 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

on: January 01, 2010, 07:56:18 PM

New movie with George Clooney. As always with him, very dry humor and pretty entertaining. No action though, all drama. Ends fairly neutral, so don't expect an uplifting movie!

Basically, this guy lives on an airplane and has no meaningful relationships in his life. He's getting older, but thinks everything is dandy until he meets this girl, who, like him, travels 200+ days a year. They hook up, kinda sorta starts to get serious ... Clooney's character works for a firm that does layoffs. His job is to go in and fire a buncha people, then go off to the next company and repeat.

I give it 4/5 stars.

Tomatometer: 89%
Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/upintheair/
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1193138/

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:58:42 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 09:00:00 PM

You gave this movie more review and information than any of the professional reviewers or previews ever did.  And I thank you for that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 09:01:41 PM

You gave this movie more review and information than any of the professional reviewers or previews ever did.  And I thank you for that.

The trailer said everything he said. >_>
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 04:45:58 AM

A movie about the emptiness of middle age?  No thanks I'm living that right now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:57:44 AM

Just watched this. Enjoyed it. Though, I'll likely stick to the whole "man is an island" thing.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:14:19 PM

Just watched this. Enjoyed it. Though, I'll likely stick to the whole "man is an island" thing.

Do you have an empty backpack? Awwww.

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:20:50 PM

I own tons and tons of shit, but yea, I could give it all up. Empty backpack doesn't even begin to describe it.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:16:44 AM

I liked it. Wife didn't. She thought it was depressing, I thought it was a life lesson that reaffirmed my decision to leave my island. Well done and Clooney remains one of my favorites.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 11:00:41 PM

Me and the missus saw it on opening weekend. Both liked it, but we saw the ending coming from a mile away.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:41:43 PM

I liked Clooney and Farmiga, but Reitman's movies just bug me for some reason.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:51 PM

It was like a Woody Allen movie that didn't suck ass.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Sorry for dragging this one out of the archives, but I wanted to comment. 

This movie is starting to show up on HBO now and I finally had a chance to sit down and watch it.  As someone that is mid-career and in their 40's, I was pretty moved by this film.  I recommend it to anyone that enjoys dialogue driven films about personal journeys.  George Clooney did a wonderful job of making the character real for me. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 10:37:23 AM

I saw this recently as well, and I thought it was brilliant. I talked to a few of the ladies on my course and they hated it. I wonder if there's a bit of a gender and age divide over this movie.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 11:47:25 AM

I'm in the late twenties but still liked it, although I felt it wasn't as clever as it could have been. The ending was a little hard to believe.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 04:37:46 PM

I saw this recently as well, and I thought it was brilliant. I talked to a few of the ladies on my course and they hated it. I wonder if there's a bit of a gender and age divide over this movie.

Isn't the moral of this story that committed relationships aren't fulfilling enough?  I'm not surprised women hate it.  I loved it, and I got that knot in my stomach when Clooney tried to give it all up for the damn girl.  Noooooooooooo.

AKA Gyoza
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 06:07:33 PM

I can understand why certain women wouldn't like it - it is a fairly brutal twist on a traditional romcom formula.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 06:06:41 PM

Just got done watching it.  Alone.  And drinking beer.  Good, good movie but damn am I depressed now.  I think  it's time I made my move on a new relationship.  Goddamn movie hit way too close to home.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Up In The Air  
Jump to: