Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:28:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Everquest: Seeds of Destruction for $2.50US 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everquest: Seeds of Destruction for $2.50US  (Read 5979 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: March 16, 2010, 10:56:52 AM

All the expansions except the newest one released a month ago for $2.50.  I haven't played this game since '99-'00 but I'll spend $2.50 for an hour of questionable fun.  If it's a new account you get a free 30 days as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24130/
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:15:24 PM

uhhhh....

I may have to buy two of this. Just for auld tymes sake.

Can't see myself resubbing though. Or even installing, necessarily.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:29:56 PM

I haven't played it since 2002. I wonder how different it is, 30 days for 2.50 is so tempting.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
lesion

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 05:06:08 PM

You can buy some chocolate covered pretzels for $2.50. They'll be a lot more fun, trust me.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:06:34 PM

Jumpin on this shit. I haven't played the game in a decade, but for 2.50 with a free month? Sure why not, just for nostalgia's sake. I'm kind of curious what happens to an MMO after ten years.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:11:29 PM

If you play it right, it turns into pretzels.

AKA Gyoza
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:18:36 PM

I could pay someone $2.50 to punch me in the gut. It'd probably end being more interesting. 

-Rasix
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:12:45 PM

lol i was thinking of doing this too.  god im dumb.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:42:28 PM

Steam only allowing me to buy it once for myself is kind of annoying.  Anyone happen to know a way around that?

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:55:55 PM

You don't get the free month unless you're starting a new EQ account.

If you want to buy two for yourself, start a second Steam account. I have four Steam accounts.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Oh yeah, I bought it. Twice. I'll probably wait until SoE offer a "Come back, Zinc" free week or whatever before I install it. Not interested in playing it, but I would like to give my wife a tour of the places my brother and I used to spend our time. Since she's played WoW and LotRO since I quit EQ, she'll have some appreciation for it now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:58:01 PM by Azazel »

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 04:32:34 AM

It's funny going back now.  All the little things that WoW did to smooth out gameplay are very noticable in EQ now.  I never make it more than a few weeks playing.  Also, the tutorial and Serpent's Spine newbie zones ruin the experience overall.  SSpine is an awesome zoneset, but it funnels players into better armor than the Qeynos newbie zones. 

EQ is much more goal oriented now than at launch. 
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 04:08:44 PM

I went back a few years ago by accident; for some reason my account was active (but not charging me).

My rogue's backstab was broken, and I didn't have the patience to find out why.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:44:17 PM

working as intended!
 awesome, for real

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 12:37:37 PM

I got this. But I didn't get the 30 days free. It says I need a 15$ subscription. Meh.

So I went to support, which is here: http://www.station.sony.com/it/support/

Does that page works for you? I am pissed.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 05:19:13 PM

I got this. But I didn't get the 30 days free. It says I need a 15$ subscription. Meh.

I still had to enter a cc for verification. When you do that it shows you having a free month at the start. Just be sure to cancel the sub.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 05:33:12 PM

Are you starting EQ1 for the very first time with this? Why would you (or anyone) do a thing like that?
I paid my 5 bucks for nostalgia's sake, and even I have no imminent plans to download it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 04:06:38 AM

No I played it for a long while, but I spend 1,99 euros for so many things that I liked the idea of chipping in towards EQ1 survival. That, and having the chance to enjoy a month of nostalgia without resubbing to my old account for 14,99.
But the problem is, without the 30 days free I'm screwed. I feel like I gave two dollars to an old struggling street artist to support him and he gave me the finger, spat at me and told me to fuck off.

Goreschach, I created a completely new station account for this so I certainly did not have an old subscription. At the end of the process I realized I had activated lots of stuff, content, expansions, gifts and rewards.. but the sub is CLOSED and asks me 14,99 to "re-activate" it.
What drives me nuts, as I said, is the Italian support page which is unprofessionally broken. Let's see if I can get anything out of the English one.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 05:26:18 AM

Like I said, you still need to 'sign up' for a month. But the first month will actually be free.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 07:33:10 AM

Oh, I believe you. And I know it often goes like that. But since this time I couldn't find any documentation or specific information stating this (could be my fault) about it, I didn't feel comfortable hitting that SUBSCRIBE AND SHELL OUT 15$ button yet...

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53:53 AM

When you procede, the checkout page shows the first billing cycle as charging you for $0.00. If you don't see that, you could just not click accept.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 10:30:53 AM

Thank you. You were right and I was being whimpy. It worked and I am in... again  awesome, for real

vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 10:48:06 AM

I always use a disposable card number when I'm unsure and then just cancel the card right after.  Most banks offer these now as well as PayPal.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 01:10:48 PM

PIcked it up, and gave it a whirl.  For $2.50, the couple hours I spent with it are worth that much. 

So far, it's not that bad, but the archaic UI is fighting me at every step.  Damn thing wasn't even set up to WASD by default. And the spell gems.  Blarg.

I was surprised by how much stuff I remembered from 10 odd years ago, though.  I still remember Befallen, and so forth.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:37 PM

There's one thing to make EQ1 tolerable to play now: Mercenaries.

In the cities, you can hire an AI NPC mercenary to fight with you and they're actually very well implemented. When I tried about 8 months ago, you could essentially hire a warrior NPC or a cleric NPC (and pick race, gender). Upkeep is free until a certain level, then it starts taxing you every 15 mins based on the mercenary's level and capabilities.

What it does is make soloing like duoing used to be (a tolerable way to play EQ without a group). What it doesn't do is make it a whole new game. It's still EQ1.
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 07:31:26 PM

$2.50 is worth it to see what they've changed/done with the game in so many years. Though it's more likely I'll never install it. +1 Steam game count anyway, Ding Grats...
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 08:07:12 PM

PIcked it up, and gave it a whirl.  For $2.50, the couple hours I spent with it are worth that much. 

So far, it's not that bad, but the archaic UI is fighting me at every step.  Damn thing wasn't even set up to WASD by default. And the spell gems.  Blarg.

I was surprised by how much stuff I remembered from 10 odd years ago, though.  I still remember Befallen, and so forth.
Personally I find the EQ UI, once they opened up the ability to customize it, one of the better ones.  Excellent customizations, but none of the automation that you see in WoW UI's, at least not when I last played.  You could arrange your information to display in any manner that you want it displayed in, but you couldn't have the UI do things for you.  The default UI probably sucks I suppose.

And the chat system, for being one of, if not the first well-done in-game chat system I can recall, is still far and away superior to that of most games, including WoW.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 08:48:11 PM

The trouble is, it's not obvious to the new player how to customise it or how to find the best UI customisations within a sane amount of time (given that the game is going to suck insane amounts of time already). Therefore the new player will use the default UI, which you suppose sucks.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Everquest: Seeds of Destruction for $2.50US  
Jump to: