Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: thew0rld.com 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: thew0rld.com  (Read 3633 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 07, 2005, 10:21:20 PM

Some of you may remember that Pocket Kingdom cryptography contest (and following tournament) back from November. If not, you can just look at the advertisement in the upper-right hand corner. Well, Haemish almost won, I couldn't connect and we didn't have anyone else playing. Sooooooooooooo, I took it upon myself to 0wn the world anyway.

So now f13.net owns thew0rld.com. Any idea what we should do with it? Besides mirror tubgirl.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 12:02:59 AM

I'm slightly confused.

I remember the topic from a couple months ago, and played around with it.

What happened? Did someone decrypt it? What the hell does this have to do with Pocket Kingdom?  Or F13.net for that matter?

And how in the Jesus did it take me this long to figure out that F13.net isn't just some arbitrary name, but it's supposed to be a clever play on F1,F2,F3,F4-F12...
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 05:59:57 AM

I vote for resurrecting the goatc.ex guy.

Are they actually going to host and provide hardware or are they just granting you the domain name?  And where are the servers located if they are providing hosting?

We could seriously have some fun with this.  Underground bittorrent hub anyone?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 07:34:48 AM

Quote from: Murgos

goat.cx  

shockingly, it's NSFW

Why don't you try our other games?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 07:40:38 AM

I have some "nice" software that needs a temporary home.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 08:20:51 AM

Quote from: grebo
Quote from: Murgos

goat.cx  

shockingly, it's NSFW

Goatse.cx.

Farkers, you all aren't.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 08:27:13 AM

No no no. You could do some fun contest stuff with it possibly. Or maybe... hmm... I really gotta think on this now. Could possibly make it something with television media. Numb3rs is a new CBS show coming out soon. Note the "leet" spelling. Perhaps you can fit some Alias bits in there somehow. Just a little brainstorming here so nothing concrete, sorry. Could parody Pocket Kingdom, although a parody of a parody might not be too funny. Could turn Bat Country into a multiple game guild called the w0rld, but not sure what kind of copyrights, if any, would be infringed upon. Write a novel and post excerpts there. Use it for political commentary and discussion on our world. Redirect it to f13 until you decide what to do with it. Umm... losing steam, but I just woke up... more later.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 08:42:50 AM

Quote from: Soukyan
Could turn Bat Country into a multiple game guild called the w0rld, but not sure what kind of copyrights

Thought about doing that. Not worried about copyrights - we own the only internet presence of thew0rld. I'm pretty sure anyone else would be infringing on OUR copyrights.

Write a novel and post excerpts there.

I'll get right on that.

Use it for political commentary and discussion on our world.

I think one forum is more than enough for the steaming bucket of assholes on f13.

Redirect it to f13 until you decide what to do with it.

DONE! :)
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 08:58:04 AM

Could use it as a web presence for a MUD if we get enough folks aside from me and addryc who are interested in building one. We could call it... wait... wait... wait... the w0rld!

Naw, more can be done with it. Was just a thought. I gonna eat some pork and sauerkraut and see what other inspirations arise. More later...

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
Grelf

Email
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 09:49:43 AM

You could be incredibly morbid and just keep a list of all the deaths from natural disasters, terrorist attacks, wars, so on and so forth, with a map that shows the numbers of death via a color code.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 03:23:17 PM

Turn it into a creative writing showcase site for users to submit stories and fiction to.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 03:42:51 PM

Quote from: Paelos
Turn it into a creative writing showcase site for users to submit stories and fiction to.

Get your own website for that.  Don't you get your fill of fiction from the bible?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 03:52:31 PM

Quote from: Grelf
You could be incredibly morbid and just keep a list of all the deaths from natural disasters, terrorist attacks, wars, so on and so forth, with a map that shows the numbers of death via a color code.

If you're going that far, just turn it into an MMO.

"India gains 100k deaths from a mudslide, they've attained level 48! Hellhole factor +4"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 04:52:12 PM

Creative Writing is about as faggy/stupid/lame/dumb as open mic poetry. You either write or don't write. Fan Fiction about Furries fucking the original members of star trek is what comes to mind when I think of creative writing.

If anyone sends us a legitimate piece of gaming literature we'll most likely frontpage it on f13.net. Except for one piece by Xilren that I kept forgetting to frontpage and then it became un-topical. I should really post it.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 01:36:27 AM

Quote from: schild
Creative Writing is about as faggy/stupid/lame/dumb as open mic poetry. You either write or don't write. Fan Fiction about Furries fucking the original members of star trek is what comes to mind when I think of creative writing.

If anyone sends us a legitimate piece of gaming literature we'll most likely frontpage it on f13.net. Except for one piece by Xilren that I kept forgetting to frontpage and then it became un-topical. I should really post it.

I didn't mean writing Warcraft novels or something where elves conquer the universe. Try and open your mind an inch or two and you might realize that there are more than just droning idiots that inhibit this little corner of the net. In case you didn't see it, most people I've seen here with a few various exceptions present themselves in a well documented manner, and I would think that most of us would encompass what I would think of as a literary style.

In any case it was a suggestion. Most likely it will sit in the corner dead for a while until you use it as archive space, but whatever. And Shockeye, get off my ass about making everything I say about the Bible. It's getting old.

schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 01:38:59 AM

Quote from: Paelos
I didn't mean writing Warcraft novels or something where elves conquer the universe. Try and open your mind an inch or two...

I was half-joking. Creative writing is what you do in high school. Writing is what adults do.

In any case it was a suggestion.

Late today we figured out something useful for the whole community. It should be active in a few days. Until then, thew0rld.com will probably be passworded.

And Shockeye, get off my ass about making everything I say about the Bible. It's getting old.

It's your sig. Don't take it personally, it was never meant to be like that.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2005, 01:43:13 AM

Well if there's something for it then, good work. I'll be glad to see it. I forget that semantics plays a big part in getting the point across. Back to "writing" it is then.

And yes I understand the sig paints a target on me, and I don't take it personally at all. I just like to make sure people mix it up on me when I'm the butt of the joke. It keeps me on my toes.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: January 09, 2005, 02:56:16 AM

Well, if you makes you feel better Paolos, if I cared about blogs, mine would probably be similar to yours.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 01:24:11 PM

Quote from: Grelf

Not to diminish a horrible tragedy, but you do realize that more people worldwide die daily of natural causes than the number of people who were killed in the tsunami. Once again, I'm not trying to diminish it. It's just that we as people tend to ignore the amount of death in this world until something huge and localized occurs. Kinda like the rubberneckers driving past an auto accident.

Biobanger
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 07:44:47 AM

Bunch of planets dancing... like the hamster dance. Definetly.

Charlie says: Always tell your mommy before you go out somewhere.
Playing: WoW. Waiting on: Gods and Heroes, Guild Wars
Grelf

Email
Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 08:28:51 AM

Quote from: Soukyan
Not to diminish a horrible tragedy, but you do realize that more people worldwide die daily of natural causes than the number of people who were killed in the tsunami. Once again, I'm not trying to diminish it. It's just that we as people tend to ignore the amount of death in this world until something huge and localized occurs. Kinda like the rubberneckers driving past an auto accident.

Oh, I'm well aware of that. I'm all for just having death figures in general. And when catastrophe's occur, then they could have a special little skull/crossbones floaty thingy.

(On a tangent, I know people die every day, which is one of the reasons I get so annoyed with the WWDOTN syndrome.)
Gong
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 06:46:22 PM

not to completely deflate the writing idea, but there is a pretty interesting community over at www.thinkattack.com  - it's not as lively as it used to be, but interesting stuff still comes along occasionally. i've been thinking about writing some stuff and submitting it there, but i haven't gotten around to it. i love writing, it's coming up with something worth writing about that's difficult.
LordDax
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 14, 2005, 06:24:00 AM

If Bat Country enhancement is the way you decide to go, why not use a part of w0rld as the coders/builders online world editing tool?

When the future doesn't appear to be the way you like it, re-invent it!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: thew0rld.com  
Jump to: