Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:32:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Census Form 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Census Form  (Read 5086 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: March 07, 2010, 02:42:01 PM

So who is actually going to answer all ten (light year!) census questions?  How many are doing it just to avoid having a pesky public servant turn up on their doorstep?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 02:43:41 PM

Out of touch. What are the questions?

Duh, sorry, got over the lazy.

These questions?

The only one I won't answer is telephone number. They don't need it. And we never answer it anyway. If they're important, they'll text us  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 02:45:47 PM by Darniaq »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:38:56 PM

I'll answer 'em all.  I'm not some paranoid black chopper freak.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:46:46 PM

These questions?

The only one I won't answer is telephone number. They don't need it. And we never answer it anyway. If they're important, they'll text us  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Yea, the government definitely doesn't have a list of phone numbers. No way.

:groan:
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:22:35 PM

These questions?

The only one I won't answer is telephone number. They don't need it. And we never answer it anyway. If they're important, they'll text us  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If that's all there is to the census, what a fucking complete waste of time, effort, and money. For something that's done once a decade and has some fairly important weight to it, I expect some questions that weren't already answered on my annual income tax forms. Okay, there's two questions that 1040 forms don't cover: #8 "Are you some kind of mexican? what kind of mexican are you?" and #9 "If you're not some kind of mexican, what are you?"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:26:23 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:36:27 PM

It's the census, which is just a head-count, everything after question 1 is designed to satisfy *statutory* requirements of funding, that first one is the only one required for the constitutional purpose of the census.  The "Statistical Abstract" will be built by selecting randomly for more in depth questions.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 08:43:30 PM

These questions?

If that's all there is to the census, what a fucking complete waste of time, effort, and money. For something that's done once a decade and has some fairly important weight to it, I expect some questions that weren't already answered on my annual income tax forms. Okay, there's two questions that 1040 forms don't cover: #8 "Are you some kind of mexican? what kind of mexican are you?" and #9 "If you're not some kind of mexican, what are you?"
So, you some kind of Mexican?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:19:21 PM

Seriously, what's up with that? A separate question if you're latino, and if so, which kind? Then a whole other question to determine ethnicity if you're -not- latino?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:28:12 PM

Isn't the Hispanic population the fastest growing population in this country?  Makes sense to see where they all are coming from and of what descent. 
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 10:20:24 PM

This does strike me as a remarkably limited amount of information to gather, given the expense and infrequency of doing so.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 11:24:58 PM

Seriously, what's up with that? A separate question if you're latino, and if so, which kind? Then a whole other question to determine ethnicity if you're -not- latino?

They're asking two different questions.  For example, everyone in my household (i.e. my parents, paternal grandmother, and I) would be "Yes, another..." and write in "Nicaraguan" for question 8 and check off "White" for question 9.

(Yes, there's some Black and Native (Central) American up in my family tree somewhere, but hell if we know where it's at and for the latter none of us "maintain tribal affiliation or community attachment".)

This does strike me as a remarkably limited amount of information to gather, given the expense and infrequency of doing so.

They've moved the socioeconomic information gathering to the American Community Survey.  From the Wikipedia entry, "The American Community Survey (ACS) is a project of the U.S. Census Bureau that replaces the long form in the decennial census. It is an ongoing statistical survey, sent to approximately 250,000 addresses monthly, and thus more current than information obtained by the long form."

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 11:56:31 PM

For census purposes Latino is not a 'race', you can have black Latinos, white Latinos, Native American Latinos, or any combination of the above.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 12:01:31 AM

What about a Black Russian?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 02:18:36 AM

Answer -3 for the first question and hand deliver it so there's no postage mark. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 07:07:33 AM

As someone with a limited view into the development of the form, the race question is awesome.  No other question on the form has both lobbyists and conspiracy theorists going nuts.

Title 13 is pretty much ironclad. I think the CIA, FBI, NSA, or some other security alphabet soup wanted Census data and a federal court flat out refused.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 09:39:30 PM

The Dept of Commerce appears to be sending letters informing people that they will be sending census forms.  I received one today.  I'm a bit baffled as to what purpose this could possibly serve.  Perhaps we are suffering from an excess of paper and envelopes that must be disposed of somehow?

I am urged to fill my census form out and mail it promptly, to ensure that my community receives its fair share.

I am told "Go to 2010census.gov for help completing your 2010 Census form when it arrives." in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Russian.  I wonder if the language selection varies by state or community?

It is interesting that they told me that I should receive a form in a week, but provide no instructions as to what to do should that not happen.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:02:58 PM by Quinton »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:44 PM

Heh, we got an extra census form for our half-finished illegal in-law unit.   awesome, for real  I guess that answers the question of whether the previous owners were actually renting it out.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 09:47:50 PM

The Dept of Commerce appears to be sending letters informing people that they will be sending census forms.  I received one today.  I'm a bit baffled as to what purpose this could possibly serve.  Perhaps we are suffering from an excess of paper and envelopes that must be disposed of somehow?

That is exactly what I thought when I got mine today.

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 12:02:24 AM

This decade's census is "short form"-only cause the long-form questions have been replaced with this:

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2009/acs.aspx

which is done much more frequently.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 12:55:11 AM

I don't really understand the whole Race and Subrace (Latino y/n) thing either... You're already allowed to check more than one box in question 9, why not just give a write-in box specifically for people who check the Latino box?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:18:56 AM

Same.  We got our letter and first thing I thought of was "No wonder this census is costing so much money."

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 08:19:25 AM

The "Statistical Abstract" will be built by selecting randomly for more in depth questions.

--Dave

This is key. Some of us will have follow-up questionnaires or interviews. They will claim it is for the Census, but it is extra. Feel free to refuse. The 10 basic questions are harmless.

I have never played WoW.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 09:13:16 AM

I got two letters, but each told me not to trust the other.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:06 AM

I don't really understand the whole Race and Subrace (Latino y/n) thing either... You're already allowed to check more than one box in question 9, why not just give a write-in box specifically for people who check the Latino box?

Its actually race vs. ethnicity. Race is skin color, ethnicity is background. Given my education in sociology and psychology, I can argue that both are so problematic as to be unusable, but it won't stop researchers from making their arguments. But knowing people in D.C. that work for Depts in population and demographics, the simplest block of info concerning this issue is race and ethnicity and their simplistic conceptualization of each.

Is for the letter telling you you are getting a census form soon... standard procedure. I recall getting a letter telling me I was getting a stimulus check as well, which I think nationally cost 1/3 of the total of the checks that were written. At least they are pumping money into the US Postal Service, no wait... 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 11:20:39 AM

We got our letter and first thing I thought of was "No wonder this census is costing so much money."
+1
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 12:16:03 PM

We should all send them back letters stating that we will soon be returning out census forms.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 04:14:59 PM

There are entire books written about the construction of race in the census and other government statistical analysis.  I've unfortunately had to read some of them.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 07:57:26 PM

We should all send them back letters stating that we will soon be returning out census forms.

Do you want to be responsible for creating a whole new branch of the census bureau tasked with responding to those letters confirming that your correspondence has been noted and filed? As usual, you'll be footing the bill.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 10:48:45 PM

The Dept of Commerce appears to be sending letters informing people that they will be sending census forms.  I received one today.  I'm a bit baffled as to what purpose this could possibly serve.  Perhaps we are suffering from an excess of paper and envelopes that must be disposed of somehow?
Same.  We got our letter and first thing I thought of was "No wonder this census is costing so much money."
Asked my roommate the same thing since both of his parents are g-men.

Turns out, census takers constantly get killed if you get one of the in-person ones. So they send out letters to warn people that it's routine and BIG BROTHER IS NOT COMING TO TAKE THEIR BABIES AWAY AND GET ALL THEIR SEKRITZ.

Seriously, apparently they get shot and stabbed and shit constantly.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 05:05:17 AM

It's because they taste so good, isn't it?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 08:08:58 AM

Yeah, I got another one of these wasteful letters. Does seem a bit spendy to send out a warning. And after all, aren't we just giving the census worker serial killers something to get their hopes up?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 08:56:51 AM

Yeah, I got another one of these wasteful letters. Does seem a bit spendy to send out a warning. And after all, aren't we just giving the census worker serial killers something to get their hopes up?

Well they have to be able to take their vacation days off at the correct time ya know. And they operate like the cable company, coming to the house between 8a and 3p.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 09:13:15 AM

Serial killers have unionised hours now?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 02:49:58 PM

Serial killers have unionised hours now?

Local 314 est 1892.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 10:01:05 PM

I got a letter in the mail that said "Census" on it, but I heard the Republicans were pretending to be with the government and spamming people with that shit, so I threw it away.

I guess if it's really important, I'll know about it later.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The Census Form  
Jump to: