Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWIIOL - What's going on with this one? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WWIIOL - What's going on with this one?  (Read 5462 times)
Brolan
Terracotta Army

on: December 05, 2010, 06:22:21 PM

It's time for my peak back at the game to see what was new after 30 months.  I was surprised to see they wanted $18 for a month-to-month subscription.  I was wondering where they got the balls to charge that much for their game.  Anywho, I started to look back at the dev and patch logs, and, what happened to this one?  I was expecting to see some new aircraft, tanks, ships, something.  They are still stuck in the France 1940 campaign.  No subs, no ships other than destroyers, no Americans, no North Africa.  I know they had the China release to do, but I expected some new money to roll in so they could do some hiring, and besides that is been two and a half years.  What have they been doing?  And are the natives getting restless?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 06:31:33 PM

They've revamped their engine, made it prettier, added in some new physics and animations, and have been tweaking the gameplay.  Overall the game is pretty decent in its current state, but I would not expect any major campaigns to be added.  Also, last time I played it was 15 bucks still, are you in the US, could be different elsewhere for all I know.

Still, its probably the best MMOFPS on the market right now, if you don't mind the pacing.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 11:44:32 AM

I just resubbed to this again, and yes, it is 18 dollars a month now if you pay by the month.  Normally I'd say they are nuts, but frankly, its a niche game and whatever they feel is the right thing to do to keep the doors open works for me at this point.  Patch 1.32 has added placeables which is pretty damned neat.  http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Player_placed_objects
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:06:21 PM

If it was in the $5-$7 range I would probably keep an active subscription. No fucking way am I paying $18 a month for it though.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 12:49:48 PM

I just resubbed to this again, and yes, it is 18 dollars a month now if you pay by the month.  Normally I'd say they are nuts, but frankly, its a niche game and whatever they feel is the right thing to do to keep the doors open works for me at this point. 

When I read this, I immediately imagined 40 year old nerds flying digital planes with $500 yoke controllers complete with foot pedals. 

This is the game that I wanted to love.  I built a new computer just to help my FPS when it first released.  $18 a month?  The pace is too slow and the game too clique-heavy to justify that. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 01:03:38 PM

They are offering a lot of specials now, where if you by like 6 months all at once its cheaper, so its actually viable to pay less than 15 a month too.  Given my track record with loving the hell out of this game for about 2 months and then burning out, the monthly is still the best choice for me.

Also, there is a no credit card required free trial now, for whatever that is worth to anyone.

Oh also - I'll be livestreaming the game on and off at www.livestream.com/newslang for a friend or two of mine, but anyone interested in seeing what the game is like can feel free to check it out, I may or may not be checking the chat, so if I don't respond I just haven't seen it.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:24:52 PM by Malakili »
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:29:35 AM

So, I have been playing this for a few weeks but nothing has changed to hold me in the game.  It's still France 1940 over, and over, and over, again.  They really need to make some changes to get people into the game.  A good start would be going to North Africa or Russia and adding the US/Russians to the game.  Even some new vehicles (including aircraft and naval) would add a lot to the game.

Frankly I'm amazed they can stay in business with the limited customer base they appeal to.  They must be down to the hardcore customers that will never leave and pay almost anything to play the game.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 11:32:57 AM

So, I have been playing this for a few weeks but nothing has changed to hold me in the game.  It's still France 1940 over, and over, and over, again.  They really need to make some changes to get people into the game.  A good start would be going to North Africa or Russia and adding the US/Russians to the game.  Even some new vehicles (including aircraft and naval) would add a lot to the game.

Frankly I'm amazed they can stay in business with the limited customer base they appeal to.  They must be down to the hardcore customers that will never leave and pay almost anything to play the game.

Yes, its simulated World War 2, yes, they don't have enough of a budget to make a new battleground like NA or Russia.   Nor would it attract new players if they did, its a hardcore sim game, and its the big picture for which people play. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17:26 PM

Yes, its simulated World War 2, yes, they don't have enough of a budget to make a new battleground like NA or Russia.   Nor would it attract new players if they did, its a hardcore sim game, and its the big picture for which people play. 

Sorry, gotta disagree here... kinda.  NA or Russia would indeed not attract players, but a Pacific Theatre sure as hell would.  Essentially you're making an entirely new game though.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 05:22:27 PM

Sorry, gotta disagree here... kinda.  NA or Russia would indeed not attract players, but a Pacific Theatre sure as hell would.  Essentially you're making an entirely new game though.

Mayybe.  I really think the market is pretty small forr WW2O regardless of theatre of war.  A new theater release might drum up the publicity to get more of that small playerbase playing again (or for the first time if they missed it the first time around), but I can't think it would really draw all sort of new folks to the game, and if it did, the majority of them would simply leave after the free month.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 08:46:38 PM

Sorry, gotta disagree here... kinda.  NA or Russia would indeed not attract players, but a Pacific Theatre sure as hell would.  Essentially you're making an entirely new game though.

Mayybe.  I really think the market is pretty small forr WW2O regardless of theatre of war.  A new theater release might drum up the publicity to get more of that small playerbase playing again (or for the first time if they missed it the first time around), but I can't think it would really draw all sort of new folks to the game, and if it did, the majority of them would simply leave after the free month.

They used to say that about fantasy role playing.  I remember how people used to say anyone who had that interest was already playing UO, Everquest, or AC and all you could do is cannibalize customers from one to another.  And then came WoW...
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 09:02:48 PM

Sorry, gotta disagree here... kinda.  NA or Russia would indeed not attract players, but a Pacific Theatre sure as hell would.  Essentially you're making an entirely new game though.

Mayybe.  I really think the market is pretty small forr WW2O regardless of theatre of war.  A new theater release might drum up the publicity to get more of that small playerbase playing again (or for the first time if they missed it the first time around), but I can't think it would really draw all sort of new folks to the game, and if it did, the majority of them would simply leave after the free month.

They used to say that about fantasy role playing.  I remember how people used to say anyone who had that interest was already playing UO, Everquest, or AC and all you could do is cannibalize customers from one to another.  And then came WoW...

Right, but thats a totally different approach, we're ostensibly talking about adding a new theatre to the same game.  With the navy mechanics and air force mechanics already in the game you could do a pacific/island based campaign.  There would probably have to be some changes added to maybe allow for infantry to do water lands, maybe aircraft carriers, and some other important stuff to make it work a little more painlessly than it currently is (zeelands fighting can be less than optimal currently), but it wouldn't really need to be a new game and the basic mechanics probably wouldn't need to be changed. 

Anyway, my point is, I don't think WW2O would get a lot more people by adding a new campaign.  Could another MMOFPS in another theater pull more subs, sure, but thats kind of an entirely different discussion.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWIIOL - What's going on with this one?  
Jump to: