Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:26:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: WWDOTN Syndrome 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WWDOTN Syndrome  (Read 1469 times)
Grelf

Email
on: January 12, 2005, 08:41:52 AM

I didn't want to hijack thew0rld.com thread with this, so I'll make a new topic.

I'm getting so damn tired of the WWDOTN Syndrome. White Woman Dead On The News. One finishes up, another starts.

Yay, another dead white woman. Out of 8 a day*. The sad truth is, 8 women die a day, but yet the media only picks one pretty white girl to have a field day over. And when that one is played out, they pick another. It's getting rather tiresome.

Now that Peterson is done, hopefully they'll concentrate on something other then the one white girl out of the girls who get murdered.

*: FBI 2003 Records show 3215 murdered women in that year. Hence, 8.8 a day. of those 3215 women, 1927 of them were white, 1113 of them were black.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 09:06:57 AM

Pretty dead white woman = ratings.

Attractive women find it tragic because they identify with the victim (i.e. it could have been me), unattractive women find it tragic because they can appreciate her beauty (i.e. wish I could look like that, she was pretty), and men find it tragic because they see it as a waste of a hot chick (i.e. goddamnit, I would have hit that).

This is the reason you get months of coverage for Laci Peterson, but almost no coverage for the 240 pound black woman who lives in the hood and got hit by a stray bullet in a drive-by.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 09:08:25 AM

I think this guy had the same thing to say about it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 09:23:59 AM

Come to Atlanta, I'll guarantee you'll hear a hell of a lot less about white people on the news.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 09:32:05 AM

Quote from: Nebu
I think this guy had the same thing to say about it.

Clever twist on an old riff, Nebu.

As DV said, it's ratings.  Ever since O.J. news hasn't bothered to be news in any large sense of the word. It was bad enough prior to that, but now with multiple 24/7 news channels it's just out of hand.  Sensationalism sells, and we've been conditioned such that nothing's more sensational than, "rich woman dies tragicly."

Note I didn't say white, since I expect we'll get a more sensitive 'multi-cultural' approach to exploi.. reporting tragedy as other races move into the majority over the next decade.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 09:58:08 AM

At first I thought this thread was about WilWheaton.Net, but no it's about the news. Booooring.

- Viin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: WWDOTN Syndrome  
Jump to: