Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:13:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Last Airbender 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Last Airbender  (Read 29767 times)
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 01, 2010, 10:42:23 AM

I can't say I'm surprised that the film is bad, but I wasn't expecting to see so much criticism of the special effects.  The vibe I got from the trailers was "hey, at least it will look good."

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #71 on: July 01, 2010, 11:14:05 AM

io9's review

This is the part where I would insert a quick plot synopsis of the film, but it's really unnecessary - Shyamalan has boiled every epic heroic story of the past 20 years down to its most basic, primal soup-y essence, so he can spray it all over the audience, in a kind of Hero's-Journey bukkake. You will be finding chunks of Joseph Campbell's calcified spooge behind your ears for three days after watching this film, no matter how many times you bathe.

Fucking golden.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: July 02, 2010, 07:31:14 PM

First, fuck video game loathing Roger Ebert and the rest of the clattering critic class.

Just came back from seeing this, and while it's not a great movie by any stretch, was entertained for the duration.

Yes, buckets of cheese replete with inane dialog. The visuals were over the top too, but I thought they were stunning enough. But I can cut a movie made from a cartoon where the Water Nation is warring with the Fire Nation some slack here (more so than a movie like Robin Hood where the dialog was just as ridiculous or worse).

M. Night doesn't adhere to the Hollywood template, and while it strikes some as amateurish, I believe it refreshing. And I state this as someone, while I liked Unbreakable and thought Sixth Sense was OK, who deemed his last couple of movies (Lady in the Water, Happenings or whatever that monstrosity was titled) completely unwatchable and bereft any redeeming bits.

Final note — 3D was a waste of money, as there didn't seem to be much 3D about it, other than cutout backgrounds.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #73 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31:37 PM

yup just got back from watching it. Cleared my mind of all bias. Emptied my pre-emptive bias. Disassociated the film, mentally, from my knowledge of the director's tendencies. Went in with neutrality.

Movie was absolutely hideous. Worse than the happening? And they said it could not be done! hurp durp.

This needs to be the end of m. night fartbender's career. he done.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #74 on: July 02, 2010, 10:36:52 PM

I can't say I'm surprised that the film is bad, but I wasn't expecting to see so much criticism of the special effects.  The vibe I got from the trailers was "hey, at least it will look good."

Special effects were meh at best. When you see a fight scene approaching, flip a coin. One of two things will happen.

heads: extras will stand around and wait to get knocked over by a soggy bending effect.

tails: someone will do something dramatic, then everyone will leave before the scene can go anywhere.

the fx are dull and mostly constrained to beautiful vistas in various setpieces that the film careens through at a rapid pace. The entire movie is exposition. Like the entire movie. The movie is actually a ridiculously huge montage that is so massive that it has smaller, clumsier montages orbiting it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: July 03, 2010, 02:36:59 PM

I love the line in the io9 review that the kid who played Aang manages to convince you he's standing in front of a greenscreen even when he's on location somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Last Airbender  
Jump to: