Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Lovely Bones 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lovely Bones  (Read 2077 times)
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

on: August 05, 2009, 11:39:48 AM

Peter Jackson's new movie.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/thelovelybones/large.html

Am I the only one who has no fucking clue what's going on? It's like 'What Dreams May Come' mixed with some generic detective movie mixed with some generic 'parents lose a child and have to find out who took them' and a thriller.

I can't make sense of it.

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 12:04:41 PM

I am guessing it is based on the book.  Basically the story follows the course of a young girl whom is murdered, goes to heaven and then the follows the life of her family, friends, the murderer and detective assigned to the case from her vantage up in the clouds.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 02:55:32 PM

I loved the book but suspect the film will be quite different in terms of pacing and dramatic emphasis. Trailer does look quite good though.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:35:13 PM

So I'm watching this right now (don't ask, don't tell) and it's... well, halfway through, it's the definition of bland. Whenever it seems to have found footing, the rug is pulled away from under it and it starts telling a different story. It wants, and tries, to be atleast four different genres and it's not succeeding very well.

Ok, final third just went fucking odd. This is a story that should be implying and showing-not-telling, but the voice-over (when Saoirse isn't simply yelling it out) is so excessively eager to describe every feeling and intention of the characters that what happens on screen instantly becomes overacted and often mortifyingly stupid. Not going to spoil anything, but there were multiple moments where I rolled my eyes or had to leave the room out of embarrassment.

Overall it was just a clumsy and heavy-handed but beautifully shot (mostly the CGI, to be honest) thriller/coming-of-age/love/drama/something. The acting was pretty okay with a few exceptions both ways.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:31:10 PM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:14:15 PM

It wants, and tries, to be atleast four different genres and it's not succeeding very well.
This was my experience with the book. It felt painfully self-conscious and overwrought. That's acceptable in writing, mind you. The whimsical majesty of it all kept me reading to the end, but it was unpolished craft. With text, my brain can tie all the stories together on its own. In film, everything things need to have a more explicit onscreen timeline... all within a few hours.  Subtlety cannot exist as voiced narration and must be carried in timing and facial expressions. Not that there was much subtlety in the source material to begin with. It would have had to have been invented.

Jackson and team have a gift for making mad visuals real. Delicate, emotive storytelling... not so much.

Thanks for the review, I'll probably see it on video.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 05:23:24 PM

Overall it was just a clumsy and heavy-handed but beautifully shot (mostly the CGI, to be honest) thriller/coming-of-age/love/drama/something.

Isn't that the definition of Peter Jackson?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 06:28:21 PM

Jackson films are beautifully shot?

Terribly overrated director IMO.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 06:29:03 PM

He is damnedably boring.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 07:30:54 PM

Terribly overrated director IMO.

I agree, in general. I love Jackson for making the LotR trilogy, but that's mostly in admiration of his ability to rally people and taking on a production that would have made other directors cry AND turning that kind of gusto and resources into some pretty great and unique movies. It was a herculean effort that I just have to respect.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 07:33:22 PM

I didn't even like LOTR. That shit was borrrrrrrring.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 12:41:42 PM

I didn't even like LOTR. That shit was borrrrrrrring.

You read the books.  The pacing of the movies should have been no surprise.  I personally think that Jackson did a masterful job of staying true enough to the books to appease fans while providing enough action to interest newcomers. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 05:47:12 PM

I thought the fist movie was great, the second completely boring and the last was a mess. An enjoyable to look at mess, but still a mess.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Lovely Bones  
Jump to: