Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: LoTR nerdfight redux 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LoTR nerdfight redux  (Read 22498 times)
Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: December 27, 2009, 05:37:19 AM

I want more "Spider-sense will negate the advantage of Predator's cloaking device!" nitty-gritty and less parsing of Tolkien's napkin notes, dammit!

According to extensive notes released by Christopher Tolkien, both Gandalf and Saruman have power levels over 9000.
Heart

The internet is a place where men are men, women are men, and little boys are the FBI.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #106 on: December 29, 2009, 05:01:05 PM

This thread has inspired me to re-read the Silmarillion.  It's seriously one of my most favorite books EVER.  Maybe I can even hop back into the fray later to pick apart arguments with exact quotes and appendix entries!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: December 29, 2009, 09:19:36 PM

This thread has inspired me to re-read the Silmarillion.  It's seriously one of my most favorite books EVER.  Maybe I can even hop back into the fray later to pick apart arguments with exact quotes and appendix entries!

I read like three pages, then it started rambling about dancing.  I might have to try again, but Unfinished Tales presumed all the preceding bullshit was immaterial, and the Lord of the Rings was condensed to the point where it feels really brief, for epic fantasy.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: December 29, 2009, 09:39:29 PM

I read like three pages, then it started rambling about dancing.
Singing actually.   awesome, for real

While I know the book definitely isn't for everybody, I just loved the entire epic scope of it (I don't think I've ever read anything more epic) and all the imagery (there are some pretty amazing scenes in it).  But then I'm also a whore for in depth world building, and he lays out quite a bit about all the different kinds of elves, humans, languages, kingdoms, ect.

The first part of the book is the hardest because it throws you into a bunch of esoteric world creation stuff and not much action.  But if you get past that it picks up the pace pretty fast.  The book is also much better on a second read through I found, because right from the get go it starts referencing people and places that are introduced later in the book, and it just seems like a shit ton of made up words you have no clue about.  But when you go back and reread, those parts then really help clarify things more.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: December 29, 2009, 10:43:42 PM

See, I can normally read anything, but not that, it was the first book I have not read start to finish.  I used to read ahead of the class when assigned Shakespeare stuff, for fuck's sake, but that I could not finish.  I don't know why.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 30, 2009, 06:51:50 AM

I reread the Silmarillion about 3 years ago and the only part I really enjoyed was the Part about Beren and Luthulien. Its pretty much the most intamate actiony part of the early book. Plus it has Sauron getting beaten up by a woman.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:07:42 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: December 30, 2009, 02:59:52 PM

I read it ages ago now (almost 10 years ACK!I'm still really young honest!) and feel lik digging it out from a cupboard or buying a new copy but I remember being struck by the changing style. The first part really is along the lines of Genesis and it continues in a biblical/epic poetry style. By the end it's moved closer to the traditional narrative of the LoTR. Frankly trying to pay attention to and follow every name in the book is a good way of driving yourself mad. Unless you really want to follow it just gloss over those parts and google if you get really lost.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: December 30, 2009, 04:10:55 PM

I liked it for the background of Numenor (and Elrond and Aragorn's ancestry) and the world building stuff. I feel it's worth slogging through once to get a glimpse of all the work Tolkien put into Middle Earth.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #113 on: December 30, 2009, 11:46:25 PM

It's also pretty cool to understand the significance of lines that pop up in LotR like "the last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world".

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: December 31, 2009, 04:29:47 AM

It's also pretty cool to understand the significance of lines that pop up in LotR like "the last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world".

Sam defeated Shelob.  Ergo Sam > Morgoth > Sauron. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: December 31, 2009, 08:44:52 AM

Sam defeated Shelob.  Ergo Sam > Morgoth > Sauron. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
While I know that comment was just meant for lol factor, Morgoth/Sauron could have just stepped on Shelob.  She was no where at all in the same league as Ungoliant.  Shelob is just a giant spider, while Ungoliant was a demi-god who manifested as a humongous spider that could devour light itself  tongue

-Stephen Colbert
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: December 31, 2009, 09:38:09 AM

Wikipedia is a poor choice of weapon to bring to a nerd fight.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: January 01, 2010, 02:40:03 AM

Tolkien hints pretty heavily through the entire confrontation that Shelob is, in fact, not just a big spider.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: January 01, 2010, 02:43:12 AM

Terse in the manner of Hemingway?
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: January 01, 2010, 03:22:17 AM

I'm actually reading through it again, it's really fucking weird not having paragraphs dedicated to the way Gimli adjusts his dress.  Or, you know, shit like what he looks like aside from being a dwarf.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: January 01, 2010, 06:13:54 AM

Gimli definitely gets the shitty end of the stick in the movie. He is comic relief and nothing else, fucking legolas stealing all his screen time.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: January 01, 2010, 08:11:22 AM

Legolas is merely comic relief of a different type.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: LoTR nerdfight redux  
Jump to: