Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:50:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Oh god it itches 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oh god it itches  (Read 3565 times)
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

on: October 09, 2009, 03:58:14 AM

So I've got to go see the allergist on Saturday, and they made me stop taking allergy meds on Monday.  I itch.  Everywhere.  I can't even fucking sleep because it won't stop.  Someone shoot me.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 06:16:43 AM

When I get a rash or itchy skin for some reason, I dab witch hazel on it and it clears the itch.  I don't know about putting it EVERYWHERE, though.  If you dab and not scrub (I know the itch makes it tempting to be heavy handed), I can't see that it would hurt.  Or can't you even do that much?  The itch eventually comes back if it's some sort of chronic thing, but witch hazel is cheap and you can get it in a big bottle.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:24:02 AM

Get drunk. Stay drunk until your test
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:42:03 AM

Run a hot bath, dump either a bunch of oatmeal or some Aveeno oatmeal bath stuff, and lie in it for a while. Repeat as needed. Always works for me when I get allergy itchies.

Or, kill yourself.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:16:19 AM

scabies  Cthulu
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:30:42 AM

Run a hot bath, dump either a bunch of oatmeal or some Aveeno oatmeal bath stuff, and lie in it for a while. Repeat as needed. Always works for me when I get allergy itchies.

Or, kill yourself.

Hot is bad for itch, I thought.  It feels better for a short time and then intensifies because you've irritated the skin, no?  Oatmeal baths are soothing but I thought only warm water.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:06:49 AM

An itch is a particular low leve lversion of pain. Itches irritate us because we are genetically programmed to believe we can do something about them by adjusting that section of skin a little. Upgrading an itch to a pain is typically a relief because it promotes them beyond annoyance to "kinda hurts". So yes, since allergic itches are a histamine reaction a hot bath will intensify them. It will upgrade them to mere pain, which is FAR less maddening.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:16:49 AM

Has to be hot water or the oatmeal doesn't dissolve nicely. I usually get in it hot, then stay in it until it's gone chill, then shower off the oatmeal bits in cool water. Usually does the trick.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:22:14 AM

Be more careful about who you sleep with next time.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:31:53 AM

* Deleted *

Rather not scare you.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 03:36:36 PM

* Deleted *

Rather not scare you.

Hell, somebody already said scabies, not sure how much worse it could get than that.

Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 03:39:04 PM

Eh It's pretty obvious this is just an allergic reaction to something that the shittons of anti histamines I've been taking have blocked, so I'm not really concerned that my spleen is going to explode or that my pancreas has run off to sell vacuums and see the world, it's just really fucking annoying.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 03:40:59 PM

I was going to ask if it was possible to be allergic to cotton, and sure enough a quick google search turns up quite a bit of information.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 03:53:26 PM

I was going to ask if it was possible to be allergic to cotton, and sure enough a quick google search turns up quite a bit of information.

You can be allergic to water.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 03:55:09 PM

Morfiend's little kitty was allergic to her own teeth, poor thing.  I guess you can be allergic to anything.   ACK!

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 04:00:23 PM

I'm allergic to beer :(

Oh and before you say it even n/a beer gives me a reaction.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 04:01:10 PM

Baths with added baking soda was the standard home remedy to reduce the itching from chicken pox when I was a child.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 08:20:38 PM

I'm allergic to beer :(
As a celiac, I am, too.  Well, it's not technically an allergic reaction, but still unpleasant.  S'okay since I can't stand the taste.

Hell, somebody already said scabies, not sure how much worse it could get than that.
A few years ago my friend started developing weird symptoms.  Eventually he started itching everywhere, including places like his eyeballs.  Turns out he had Wegner's.  That is something you can't get much worse than.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 09:08:41 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 09:12:34 PM

Hey Nerf, is there a visible rash/spots? Or just an invisible itch?

I have a condition called aquagenic pruritus, which is the dermatologists' way of saying "we don't know what the fuck this is" because it translates as "water itch". I am allergic to water.

Water on my skin, including my own sweat, can cause me to have an unbearable skin itch. Particularly on my lower legs and upper arms. It can also be triggered by damp clothes, old sweat, etc. It also causes an agitated, irritable side-effect, as if I had drunk 10 cups of coffee. It has no visible effect on the skin.

There is a good wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_pruritus - I am one of those for whom blasting myself with hot water at the end of a shower controls the itch. I also find that staying fit (through intense cycling) reduces the symptoms and keeps away the "10 cups of coffee" effect - and I don't drink coffee!
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 09:36:41 PM

I have a rarer type of eczema, where the palms of my hands become covered with blisters when I get too stressed. Thankfully it's not one of the disfiguring varieties, but it's not too fun.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 09:49:47 PM

No wonder you people are always so pissy.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 11:19:05 PM

Nah, like said earlier in the thread, it's on the pain side, so easily ignored.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 07:17:51 AM

I wasn't itchy at all until I read this thread.  Now everything itches.  I do this with yawning, too.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm completely made up of what people have told me about themselves.  So far so good with the blisters and male pattern baldness, thankfully.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 07:23:45 AM

Umm, I sympathize... Allergy med withdrawal? Strange. I've had the hives twice, so I know how it feels. My guesstimate is a particular "breed" of German sausage. Which might be worse than strange.. Depressing, as the sausage was good.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 01:33:37 PM

I'm allergic to dust, apparently really allergic, as the dust mark and the control mark were rated the same.  They gave me a steroid nasal spray, an anti-histamine nose spray, told me to keep taking the zyrtec-d, and recommended I buy a dust-cover thing for my mattress and pillows.  We're upgrading the filtration in the house too - putting additional filters on the actual vents as well as upgrading the main furnace filter as well.

Also allergic to roaches, and slightly to bermuda grass and Mt. cedar, which just means I now have a valid excuse to not mow the lawn.  Hopefully the nose sprays will work for me, because allergy shots are really fucking expensive.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 02:40:11 PM

I have a dust allergy too though it isn't that serious, my wool allergy is the one that causes me most the anguish. Serious itching throat swelling and burning rashes if I wear it. I can't live in a house with carpets simply has to be wooden floors and completely nonallergic bed clothes. A mixture of dust and wool can turn out quite nasty for me.

As a celiac, I am, too.  Well, it's not technically an allergic reaction, but still unpleasant.  S'okay since I can't stand the taste.

Ouch I couldn't live without bread or certain other wheat products like Pizza :/
Although we always get this wheatfree pasta which is way nicer than ordinary pasta and doesn't leave you bloated.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 04:03:40 PM

Red Mill makes a pizza crust mix that's gluten free and quite good.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 05:29:06 PM

It's such a great thing you can buy most of these things these days outside of specialty stores.  Too bad they cost 2-3x what the "normal" wheat products cost.  I went shopping for dough and saw the price was $10 and I thought "what the hell?" when I noticed it was because it was gluten free.  Regular was $3.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 06:55:03 PM

The Red Mill gluten free pizza dough mix is about the same (high) price as the regular, and tastes the same. So much of the gluten-free stuff I've tried is pretty awful.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 09:28:34 PM

Red Mill makes some good stuff and thankfully most stores carry it now.  You still have to learn some tricks with baking since glutten-free batter and dough are thicker and don't rise as much.

Central Market carries some blueberry muffins by a brand called Udi's.  Delicious.  I can't even tell they're glutten-free.  I want to try their sandwich bread some time.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Oh god it itches  
Jump to: