Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Chuckie replaces Kornhole 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chuckie replaces Kornhole  (Read 4791 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: May 18, 2009, 09:03:52 AM

Jon Gruden is the new announcer for MNF, replacing Tony Kornheiser

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden was named an analyst for ESPN’s “Monday Night Football,” replacing Tony Kornheiser, who resigned after three seasons because of his fear of flying...

“He is the two things you most want -- smart and funny -- and has the two things I don’t -- good hair and a tan,” Kornheiser said.

So for you guys that hated listening to Kornhole's dumbassery during the broadcasts, you got your wish. Fear of flying never stopped John Madden, but I think we all know that it's a ready-made excuse for the fact that fans were sick of him. I'm not sure Gruden is going to be awesome, but he can't be worse. Also, there's a real chance he'll slip up and say something really stupid or controversial during the broadcast.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:13:48 AM

I believe it.  Calling games was all Madden did.  Kornheiser has a show as well.  He can't afford spending all his time on a bus.

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:35:09 AM

I think this is a good move.  I like the no-nonsense approach of Gruden.  It will be interesting to see how his attitude comes across in a role like this.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:17:40 AM

Wow, from one complete asshole to another. I don't think the show can get WORSE, but I don't think it's gotten better.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:35:08 AM

At least the new asshole understands football from an X and O perspective.  Not that the viewing audience understands it anyway.  At least Madden made it approachable. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:42:03 PM

Gruden has the knowledge, obviously. The only thing about that is you have to be able to make it relevent and non-intrusive to the broadcast. The viewing audience doesn't always need to know the game-within-a-game crap unless it was important on a key play. The rest of the time you can just let it go and discuss the overall tone of the game without delving down too hard.

Can he do that with any kind of personality? Maybe. Jaws can do it with the personality, but he can often go overboard on themes or plays that were essentially meaningless to the average dude. I personally would have preferred a personality like Bill Cowher doing the show, but CBS already has him wrapped up under another gig.

WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:43:45 PM

First Madden, and now Kornheiser. Best offseason evar.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 03:06:09 PM

I refereed Jon Gruden's son's flag football league (Gruden is the head coach), and he's actually a really, really nice guy.

He destroyed the other team, 45-0 in three quarters ;)

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 05:34:22 PM

That reminds me of some of the asskickings my church paintball team used to lay on people during tournaments. Our coach/sponsor was a retired US Army 3 star general.   awesome, for real

I can't imagine even wanting to take the field against a former NFL head coach's team even in a fun intermural game.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 09:11:40 PM

He destroyed the other team, 45-0 in three quarters ;)
Well sure if he was playing it would've been no contest. why so serious?
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 01:31:55 PM

I am excited to see how Gruden does.  I watched oooooh about 12 hours of the draft on the NFL Network, and he was announcing the whole time.  He was EXCELLENT, and I find that to be an extraordinarily tough job to stay enthusiastic the whole time (especially in rounds 5-7).  He did such a fantastic job that ESPN swooped up and grabbed him minutes before the NFL Network could sign him long-term.  ESPN did the same with Adam Scheflter.  Apparently NFL Network execs were pissed about the coup.

The only concern about putting him on MNF, is longevity.  He will be back to coaching next year, bet on it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 01:34:41 PM

He welcome to go back to coaching whenever he wants. He serverd his purpose- to get Kornheiser the fuck off the air. They could have replaced him with a potted plant for all I care.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 01:52:48 PM

He has already indicated that he misses coaching.  I think Tampa gave him a raw deal, although I don't know what happened behind the scenes.  He was let go so late that he did not have the opportunity to interview for an NFL job. (NYJ, DET, STL, CLE, KC...etc, etc)

As an aside, Gruden in the past was one of the more critical coaches out there of ESPN and their unverified reporting.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:30:32 PM by Bandit »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 02:21:58 PM

The NFL network can go fuck itself in the ear. I hope they never get a decent announcer and go bankrupt. Fuckers.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 02:32:06 PM

Heart NFL Network.  What's the issue? Isn't there some issue with cable/dish networks in the US? we pretty much get it on standard TV packages in Canada.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 02:36:48 PM

It steals 6 games a season to try to justify it's bloated useless existence. Then, you have to pay extra for it on cable when they got into a pissing match over the price because the NFL wants to charge some ridiculous amount per user to put it on as standard.

There's absolutely no point dedicating a network to one sport, especially during the offseason. I don't like the MLB network either, and that plays almost every day. Also the NFL network likes to steal college games especially during bowl season. That's retarded by simple definition of the network itself.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:39:31 PM by Paelos »

WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 02:48:22 PM

NFL Network is perfect to have on late nights in a bar or in the background at a fantasy draft. They are awesome on draft day too. Other than that, I almost never watch it.

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 07:51:53 PM

I loved NFL network when I had it, my current provider doesn't even have the channel, not even for a higher price, they just don't offer it cause of their fucking inflated price they try to charge.  That pisses me off.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Chuckie replaces Kornhole  
Jump to: