Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:25:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Boxing Monkey 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boxing Monkey  (Read 20321 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 03:53:54 PM

Good times. Be ready for the sparring, but don't psych yourself out or anything. Regardless of exactly how it goes, giving and taking some blows "in anger" can only help you.

Random fact:  George Foreman got his ass kicked by a guy half his size the first time he sparred as a teenager. He was an experienced street-brawler when he came into the gym and he thought that mattered. They threw him in and let a little guy slap him around to teach him a lesson, and it was a week before he showed his face there again.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:07 PM

Just going to leave this here....

hahahaha fuck you Hatton, DESTROYED you stupid limey piece of shit.  Pacman is a monster, starting to doubt Mayweather stands a chance.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 07:01:22 AM

Yeah, wow, Hatton got stomped so hard. Pac is really on another level. And I have to say this, I don't know what the hell Mayweather Sr. was thinking not training an orthodox fighter to step to his left against a southpaw and to WATCH OUT FOR THE LEFT HOOK! Really, this is elementary boxing theory here... I wonder what happened... Hatton was stepping right too much and was dropping his right hand a lot. This was bound to happen.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 08:25:18 AM by HAMMER FRENZY »

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 10:00:24 AM

That was probably the most devastating one-punch knockout in a major fight in the last 25 years. At least. Pac is peaking, and is practically unbeatable at this point. If Mayweather gets in the ring with him, Mayweather will lose.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 05, 2009, 02:10:42 AM

That's one hell of a hit.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 04:22:26 PM

Boom Headshot?  awesome, for real

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 11:18:17 PM

I posted a link to this site earlier, but I'll post a link specifically to their training forum just because.

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 09, 2009, 04:19:06 PM

Evidently this is Hattons sparring partner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwpgpaaKhk4

There is tons of funny on that forum.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:21:36 PM by gryeyes »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #43 on: May 09, 2009, 04:32:37 PM

Yeah, I can practically guarantee our HF is a ten times better than most of the guys who post videos there asking for advice. It's the sort of place where "sluts in thongs" avatars are common and half of everybody can't spell, but there are a good number of people there who know what they're talking about.

Anyway, the Pac/Hatton replay is on HBO tonight alongside the live Dawson/Tarver rematch. I'm gonna go ahead and predict Dawson KO10 Tarver. I think Tarver is past it.

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 09, 2009, 04:33:33 PM

The guy in that video has like 2,000 posts over a period of 5 years on that forum.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 05:44:05 PM

I'm not sure what your point is? There are some guys like this who couldn't throw 2 punches without looking silly, a bunch more guys who know what they're talking about, and at least a couple occasional posters who've fought for titles as professionals. I once got busted there for trolling the shit out of someone who claimed to be Shannon Briggs, as it turned out it actually was him.

awesome, for real
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 05:47:38 PM by WindupAtheist »

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 06:49:37 PM

Ouch, that must have sucked. No i meant him posting a video like that after spending countless hours discussing the topic, is similar to someone with 2,000 posts here who did not understand how to turn on a nintendo.  Holding your hands by your waist after every single fucking punch. Slapping with the side of your glove, he was asking for technique pointers while displaying absolutely no technique at all. I just found it hilarious.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #47 on: May 09, 2009, 07:49:02 PM

Briggs was a dick anyway, plugging some strip joint he owned and babbling on about how Larry Merchant is a racist. The height of my boxing-related internet experience was when I posted some question on the HBO forums and Roy Jones responded with a one-word "Yep" post. OFMG ROY JONES TALKED TO ME!1! /fanboy

Anyway, the live fight tonight turned out pretty dull. Dawson by decision. The KO could have been there for him, but he just doesn't have the aggression and it's annoying to watch. He fights in little spurts.

Waiting for HF to turn up and tell us how sparring went.

HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #48 on: May 10, 2009, 01:20:35 AM

Hi fellas, things are going alright so far. Unfortunately I was unable to spar last week at the gym. I showed up, as did the guy I was supposed to spar with, but the trainers were sparring some other people that I had never seen before. They were waiting outside when I got there and I think they may have been from another gym. I know that there are times that a few of our guys leave the gym and take off in the gym van to spar at a gym in central Phoenix which makes me think that we may have been hosting a similar type of thing. I was hoping to get in next week but I got my wisdom teeth (all 4) pulled on Thursday morning, so I have been out of commission since. I am returning to roadwork tomorrow though and am hoping my stinky gum holes will be healed in a couple weeks. This really sucks for me because I was really looking forward to the sparring session. I am sure that it will still happen though, so I will make sure to keep you all updated.

On the Eastside Boxing site. I have looked around there before and have also been looking around a few other places. I settled on posting here (f13) and at boxingscene.com There forums are equally silly but I want to try to be more involved with an online boxing community if at all possible. Unfortunately a lot of these clowns spend more time posting and complaining about shit/ asking silly questions that should not be on their mind till they actually start real training. Lots of "here's me on the heavy bag, what do you think?" threads. Pretty silly stuff. On occasion though there is an interesting topic or some cool links so I try to keep up. For those interested I post under "MonkeyEarmuffs" on boxing scene, and don't post much because I want to train and learn and not just talk a big game.

Anyway, I go back to the gym Monday regardless of how I feel. I can train even if my mouth is a little sore as long as I am not sparring or wearing a mouth piece. I will give that a week and see how I feel. In the mean time, I have loads to work on and stuff I want to focus on to improve my technique. Keep you guys posted and again, thanks for poking around in here.

Oh almost forgot to say, I have Direct TV, (although this may not make a difference, as this may be available on normal cable networks) but DTV has quite a few espn networks and sports channels. I have been recording and setting aside all the boxing/classic fight episodes and gathering a pretty cool little chunk of fight tape to watch when I DO watch TV. It is pretty cool, one of the ESPN's plays a lot of really great classic fights that I get to watch with the DVR and study when I want to watch great fighters or want some sort of reference for some art. Good stuff. I love me some ESPN apparently...It is really neat to be able to pause and rewind exchanges between great fighters so easily. You can really pick up a lot if you take the time to pay attention to what is happening and what the fighters are setting up/ reacting to. I have heard that watching fight tape is indispensable, and watching it like this is really fun and helpful. Oddly enough, a lot of the guys I talk to at the gym don't like to watch too much fight tape. I find that silly. muh...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 01:29:10 AM by HAMMER FRENZY »

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #49 on: May 18, 2009, 01:40:01 PM

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 20, 2009, 08:14:40 PM

Any update? Have you got a chance to step in the ring?
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #51 on: June 22, 2009, 03:09:58 PM

Hi fellas. I in fact do have an update. I have still been training and have been sparring as well. I have sparred twice and am sparring again tomorrow. I am getting more use to throwing punches at actual people and learning how to deal with getting hit. (I tend to push forward when I get hit and forget to apply pressure while maintaining a good defense via head movement and a busy intrusive jab.) I have been working on it and trying to put more effort into getting to where the fight would be more beneficial for me and making sure to stay busy and create angles. I am shorter then all the fighters I have sparred with and am typically having to jab my way in or try to catch the opponents with counter punches. I will actually be sparring with a young southpaw tomorrow and will post about that experience. I will also have to post about the stuff I have been learning here pretty soon. 

gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 22, 2009, 03:47:21 PM

Good to hear you got some spar time. Being struck does tend to change things up a bit.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #53 on: June 24, 2009, 04:53:10 PM

Good times, looking forward to more updates.

bush2
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 26, 2009, 10:43:46 AM

I make sure it is  one hell of a hit. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

okWOW Gold[/b]forCheap WOW Gold[/b]chatWorld of Warcraft Gold[/b]good store.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #55 on: July 26, 2009, 06:44:02 PM

Huh?

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Boxing Monkey  
Jump to: