Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Oh snap, Fatal Frame 4? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oh snap, Fatal Frame 4?  (Read 3180 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: June 28, 2008, 08:12:40 PM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
lesion

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:21:29 PM

Thread title is shutter-worthy.

Wait I'm being constructive: I CAN'T READ JAPANESE

steam|a grue \[T]/
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:30:52 AM

On Wii? awesome, for real

More silly dresses? DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 07:00:00 AM

Where the fuck have you been on this one Fab? Announced a year ago. And yea, 480p. oh yay
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:06:19 AM

HHHHHIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH DEFINITION! NINTENDO STYLE! DRILLING AND MANLINESS
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 07:15:35 AM

Wait, there's no way Fabricated forgot. Fatal Frame IV is the first thing that invaded my motherfucking.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 09:57:05 AM

Wait, there's no way Fabricated forgot. Fatal Frame IV is the first thing that invaded my motherfucking.
Nah I didn't forget, these are the first pictures I've seen since the announcement. I remember being pissed off that a series that SCREAMS to be in high-def was being moved to the Wii, but it's not looking so bad right now.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:04:18 AM

Still looks bad.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 11:10:25 AM

Which God of Cinema and Video Games declared fucked-up looking goth Asian girls the most scary thing in existence?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 11:17:00 AM

Goth?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 11:21:19 AM

Goth?

corpse-white was perhaps the better adjective. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 11:25:09 AM

Goth?

corpse-white was perhaps the better adjective. 

Me thinks you haven't played Fatal Frame.

If you're trying to draw a comparison between it and Japanese Horror, I suppose there's some room for comparison. But a lot of what is 'horror' to the Japanese doesn't translate well to the American viewpoint of horrible things. Fatal Frame is a good mix of both, really. For a completely Japanese thing, it does a good job of scaring Americans. Anyway, point being, the god of cinema was Japanese and getting it all requires a decent amount of time and research. All of it pretty much makes sense though. Well, almost all of it.

Edit: What the hell, it's Sunday. In short, the Japanese are afraid of women and mothers and girls gone bad and ghosts. And you put those two together, it's scary as fuck. American's aren't scared of either. Americans are scared of the gore and such. Fatal Frame is a mix of them. Though it's largely Japanese in how it tries to scare. The environments and sound are pretty much top notch in the Fatal Frame series. Unfortunately, with HD and DTS, etc, it could've really stepped up to that next level. The wiimote might be the ideal control for the camera, but the game itself will suffer as it was always largely a technical feast and the controls on a dual shock were just fine.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:37:10 AM by schild »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 12:07:57 PM

I couldn't play Fatal Frame.  I gave it away after playing for only minutes.  It was too scary.  I might borrow it back and try again, though.  I don't scare as easily anymore.  I think it's because I have cats now.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 03:30:15 PM

In short, the Japanese are afraid of women and mothers and girls gone bad and ghosts.

wat

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 03:50:31 PM

i call bullshit. americans are NOT afraid of gore. When was the last time anyone was actually SCARED from a zombie movie past the intial jumping shock? The american version of the ring was 100x more scary than most thrillers.

People are scared of the unknown, they are scared of grey aliens, ghosts, of situations that are hopeless and of when they are helpless. Fatal frame is not about japanese girls, it's about ghosts, scary as fuck entities which you have little to know power over that will FUCK you up.  Zombies? just blow their goddamned heads off, it's exciting, thrilling....but it's not scary.

and the above comment, are you honestly calling ghosts, gothy? i thought it was the other way round. it's hard for the living dead to try and make themselves look more like the living dead.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 03:51:43 PM

Just because we've become conditioned to loving what scares us (look at the proliferation of gore in horror movies vs outright horror in horror movies) doesn't mean that most people aren't afraid of gore.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 04:29:55 PM

J-Horror films absolutely terrify me and I can't watch them alone, but I always want to see them.  Through my fingers and hugging something I can bury my face in, like a husband or a cat.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 10:50:58 PM

Holy bump batman.

So, this game.

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/970/970875p1.html

"Nintendo holds the publishing rights to 'Fatal Frame Wii,' which was developed by Tecmo LTD. and Grasshopper Manufacture and released in Japan on July 31, 2008. Nintendo of America has since then decided not to publish the title in North America – consequently, the title will not be released in this territory. As the owner of the IP, Tecmo feels very unfortunate that the fans of the series in North America will not have a chance to play the game, but respects the final decision made by Nintendo of America."

Not only is the Wii fucking up my gaming, NOA is going out of their way to double fuck me. Here's to hoping it gets up-ported by Tecmo to the PS2.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 04:27:42 AM

Just saw that over at Kotaku.  Suckage. 

I also saw the article over there about the percent of decent Wii games being scored and thought it was interesting.  Only 4% of Wii games scored above a 85% rating, whereas 54% of Wii games scored below 65% rating.  It's not news to me, but even if it's not a scientific study, the numbers in print are pretty amazing.  Nintendo should be embarrassed, but they're too busy rolling around in piles of money. 

OTOH, I'm embarrassed for having bought the thing when I could have had a PS3 for the same price after I bought the necessary Wii accessories.  doh!  Lesson learned. 
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 06:10:30 AM

Not only is the Wii fucking up my gaming, NOA is going out of their way to double fuck me. Here's to hoping it gets up-ported by Tecmo to the
PS2.

Nintendo has denied publishing rigths for the two games that would have actually pushed me to buy a Wii.  Fatal Frame IV and the Shiren Wii title.  Seriously, WTF?!  The mind boggles.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 12:13:17 AM

I said it elsewhere, but apparently the Wii is the first console in history where good reviews don't correlate with overall higher game sales.

As for no Fatal Frame IV, why would they bother? It's obviously been decided that the Wii outside of Japan is for children and grandmothers.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Oh snap, Fatal Frame 4?  
Jump to: