Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:06:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Need to know about all things PS3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need to know about all things PS3  (Read 1966 times)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

on: February 16, 2009, 01:33:08 PM

Slightly odd request and this is the best place I know to come.

I need to know stuff about Sony and/or the PS3 - not the techy crap that I can look up anywhere, but stuff about how well it's doing, what it's potential is and all the business analysis stuff. Recommended websites or articles are useful.

Also, it may be helpful to know what the best selling titles have been and what forthcoming titles are in the pipeline.

This is to do with an interview for a new contract and not because I'm thinking of buying one so comments like "buy a 360" aren't going to be helpful although business comparisons are.

Thanks.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:39:55 PM

Search around on Gamasutra.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:04:41 PM

Thanks - I'll start there.

And apologies for suitably vague post. You may close the thread.  awesome, for real

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:14:22 PM

Eh, if there's anything specific you're looking for, feel free to ask.  You should be able to find financial reports and NPD numbers on Gamasutra (typically along with articles analyzing those numbers), as well as responses to those numbers from Sony PR.  Worldwide numbers are a little trickier, but you should be able to find Japanese sales through the Media Create threads on Neogaf.  You can also find top 10 or top 20 software sales charts for PAL regions there, but they usual don't list the number sold, nor do they list console sales.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:37:43 PM

It's fucking awesome, and the Wii sucks my nuts. And the 360 is for crackas.

Start there.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:32:06 PM

It is not doing so hot.

Neither is its parent company.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:35:35 AM

Source?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:17:10 AM

Source?

Sony's financial problems.

If you look at the NPD numbers, the PS3 has dropped in YOY sales from Nov-Jan in North America.  Worldwide, the PS3's installed base is still an estimated 7-8 million behind the 360, and probably about 20-25 million units behind the Wii.  In regards to software, Call of Duty: World at War was the only PS3 game that managed to crack into the top 20 in NA in December and January.  In November it was just Call of Duty and Resistance 2.  Their last competitive month software-wise was October when there were 7 games in the top 20.

They have a big exlusive coming up this month in Killzone 2, and there have been rumors of a price drop in April (although Sony execs have stated repeatedly that no price drops will be coming anytime soon).
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 06:32:50 AM

Didn't Sony intentionally take a loss on the PS3 to increase penetration of the Blueray player.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:16 AM

Taking a loss on hardware is standard practice, or so I am led to believe.  Some sources would have me believe that a 360 costs $7 to manufacture, so it's hard to say for sure.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 05:06:03 PM

Got the contract.

By the end of the month I'll be working for a games company. Yay and woo. Or something.

Won't make me a games developer but still.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Need to know about all things PS3  
Jump to: