Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:13:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Atlus Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Atlus Online  (Read 5530 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 03, 2009, 06:04:20 AM

Atlus.com has a teaser up.

Atlus Online, accessible to gamers around the world, will be a supplemental part of the publisher's business, adding to the revenue mix a "hybrid subscription model that is supported by multiple payment options."

Notable online execs will be driving Atlus Online along with Ortiz: Tyler Kim, an online game vet from K2 Network, ArenaNet and GoPets will be director of online games; former Webzen America COO Jun Hyun Kim will be the division's head of game operations; and former K2 Network producer Kevin Crawford will serve as online project manager. Atlus' Japanese parent will be keeping a close eye on operations as well, helping with decisions surrounding games that will appear on Atlus Online.

As for Atlus Online's debut game, for now Ortiz would only tease: "It'll definitely be an Atlus-type game."

http://www.edge-online.com/features/atlus-online-ambition

Anyway, I have no clue what's going on here other than Atlus making a move into MMORPG space. I'm not sure what game they'd be bringing over as Imagine was already localized and gouges in terms of pricing. Atlus Online looks to be doing some weird mix, but who knows. Mostly, speculate on what's being brought over.

Here's to hoping it's Uncharted Waters Online or something otherwise notably different. Really though, I haven't the slightest clue. I just know that K2 isn't that great (read: mostly sucks) so I don't know where this is going.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 06:33:21 AM

Are they using a majority of the K2 employees or just the 2 listed?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:35:33 AM

I think I might ask today. I do not trust those people.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:20:10 AM

Smells fishy.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 05:53:02 AM

Might as well dump it here. One of my worst fears is coming to light.

Atlus is now developing for the 360. Apparently the new Megaten title is being developed for it. It had dawned on me the other day that Atlus US and Atlus Co JP had never gotten a license to develop for the PS3 (which explains the shitty shitty 360 releases and the slew of DS releases). Or at least, such a license had never been announced. Looks like I may have been right.

I'm gonna wait and see how this pans out. The 360 might just be a dumping ground for shitty games. /shrug, it would still fall in line with the rest of the industry having no clue how to proceed though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:56:34 AM by schild »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 12:41:05 PM

Well.  What are they developing for the 360?  That's an important bit.

Are they still too poor to afford a PS3 kit?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 12:53:31 PM

I can't say I particularly care, but all signs point to moving Megaten, despite their abyssmal 360 track record on localizations. I'm hoping not.

Nah, they're just like everyone else right now. They have no damn clue what to do.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:17:17 AM

I can't say I particularly care, but all signs point to moving Megaten, despite their abyssmal 360 track record on localizations. I'm hoping not.

Nah, they're just like everyone else right now. They have no damn clue what to do.

They've picked some shitty games to bring to the 360 so far.  They're probably better off just making handheld or PS2 games still though.  Even then, their most popular franchises do what, maybe a couple hundred thousand in the U.S. at best?  Moving to HD consoles doesn't really fit their business model at the moment.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:46 AM

They've announced their first product.  It's a Korean MMO called Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent.

Atlus announced its first MMO title for its recently formed Atlus Online division, the Korean-developed Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent.

Developed by JoyImpact and licensed by HanbitSoft, the title will be given "the same style and caliber of localization that Atlus has been known for over the years," and will be published by Atlus Online in North America, South America, and the rest of the world with the exception of Europe.

Set in a "steampunk"-esque world, Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent, for which screenshots are available online, features two nations battling over a resource known as "Neo Steam", from which players choose their allegiance before selecting their class. Each player in Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent also begins with a pet.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 11:09:06 AM

Haha. I yelled at a few people there the moment Atlus Online was announced that they don't want to dilute the name with thankless crap KMMOGs but that it was inevitable given the people they hired to run the service.

So glad they proved me wrong. Ohhhhh, I see.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 11:16:23 AM

Checked out some vids on Youtube.  That game looks likes shit.
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 09:36:19 PM

Set in a "steampunk"-esque world, Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent, for which screenshots are available online, features two nations battling over a resource known as "Neo Steam", from which players choose their allegiance before selecting their class. Each player in Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent also begins with a pet.

Steampunk pokemon?  awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:38:21 PM

Steampunk pokemon?  awesome, for real

More like steampunk brand dilution.

I really, really, don't like this brave new world of releasing a shitload of mediocre DS games, the odd Atlus JP game and then whatever crumbs are left over. /shrug
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:35:27 PM

If you were running Atlus, what would your business plan be right now?
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:05 PM

If you were running Atlus, what would your business plan be right now?

Stop dicking around with horrible 360 games if you're not going to market them enough to break even.
Not dick around with F2P KMMOGs. You don't want that monkey on your back if you get out of this depression alive and start releasing decent shit again.

Just stick to mediocre DS games if they're somehow profitable and hide in a hole until this horrible sweeping depression is over.
Also, I'd lean out the staff and dump almost every other platform unless Atlus JP is supporting it. idea Factory and Flight Plan and the few other studios they support are not worth following to a grave.

Less of a business plan, more of a I HOPE TO GET OUT ALIVE plan.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 10:56:00 AM

The first Persona game is coming to PSP if that makes you feel any better.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 11:30:24 AM

The first Persona game is truly, truly mediocre. Sure, the die hards Atlus types love it, but I didn't think the series really came into its own until the sequel. I might actually finish it since I can play this on the john though, it'll just take 3 years.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 12:54:30 PM

What was it that you were saying about they losing the source code and stuff?  awesome, for real

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 12:59:55 PM

What was it that you were saying about they losing the source code and stuff?  awesome, for real
Considering they're redoing everything, /shrug. I can only relay reasons I was told before.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 01:56:02 PM

Considering they're redoing everything, /shrug. I can only relay reasons I was told before.

It's possible they're literally redoing the game from scratch in a newer engine.  Hopefully they remove the suck if they do that.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 03:26:00 PM

The key question is: will they reskin that black gent who went white back into black?  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Atlus Online  
Jump to: