Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Juno 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Juno  (Read 12879 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 09:10:44 AM

I can't seem to wrap my head around (here and elsewhere) why this movie is pretentious or "hipster" ish.

Because the dialogue tried PAINFULLY hard to be hip and instead came off sounding forced. It was like post-Pulp Fiction Tarantino dialogue - all artifice. It sounds unnatural and it makes the characters sound artificial.

Well all the kid's attitude seemed to convey to me was that she sort of had a stiff upper lip about everything, about being pregnant, being sort of an outcast, etc.. Her quipping "hipsterism" was artificial in a way, intentionally. She showed what she really cared about when she thought Bateman was giving up, and started crying in the car by herself. I think the movie intentionally sets you up to make it seem like it's just trying to be cool, especially her interactions with the parents.. but then it turns that all around.

[edit] As for being forced, I think it made clever use of "hip" references to carry plot points. Little inside jokes that said more than what they seemed. They were inspired references, I think.. not forced. Like, when she finally dissed Bateman, she told him that a new Sonic Youth album he recommended fucking sucked.. "It's just all noise.." i.e. You're full of shit. You're not cool at all.

Bottom line though, if this movie was really trying to be hip, it would have dissed Garner instead (yeah, I keep mentioning this... but I'll end it here).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:26:42 AM by Stray »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 01:26:03 PM

I watched Disaster Movie, i think it summed juno up well.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 01:29:40 PM

What did it say?
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 09:10:58 AM

Because the dialogue tried PAINFULLY hard to be hip and instead came off sounding forced. It was like post-Pulp Fiction Tarantino dialogue - all artifice. It sounds unnatural and it makes the characters sound artificial.

God help me, I'm agreeing with Haemish.  Watch the drugstore scene with Raine Wilson again.  Tell me that shit isn't like nails on a chalkboard.  I dare you.

I hated every character except the parents in that movie.  If I ran into such a person on the streets I'd have to fight back the urge to coldcock the fucker.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 08:24:19 PM

"It's not an Etch-a-sketch" was a good line.

The rest: painful.

It was painful up to the point Janney and Simmons (the parents) appeared.

chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 06:24:27 AM

I watched this last night, thought it was cute but I didn't like it anywhere near the way the GF did.

Something about it was bothering me but I didn't realize what until this morning.  I think the entire movie was cleverly phrased anti-abortion propaganda.  Not that there is anything wrong with having a movie with a message, it's just that the movie had pretty much nothing to do about the baby or the difficulty of the 'choice'.  It's message had everything to do with the girl still being 'cool' even though she had had a child.

To me it was kind of saying, "If you are a teenager and get knocked up you should have the child.  Your life will still be great, you can keep your boyfriend, your parents will love you even more and you even get to pig out on food!"

You are certainy not alone in thinking this, but both Diablo Cody and Ellen Page are outspoken pro-choice and have stated on the record, that the sentiment that this is a pro-life movie is ridiculous.

I think people are reading more into it than should be. I watched it because I think Ellen Page is going to be a star, she was great in the otherwise dull movie, smart people. She actually stole the screen from Dennis Quaid in every scene she was in.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 06:40:30 AM

A friend and I couldn't help but start hysterically laughing when she pulled over and began to sob.  The girls we were watching it with were flabbergasted.  Sorry girls, this movie exists to be laughed at. 
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 07:24:53 AM

Wow, I'm flabbergasted too. I can understand rolling your eyes at some of the dialog, I guess... But not really that. She was in her 8th month of pregnancy and thought she lost the adopting family. Nothing really funny about that.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 07:29:08 AM

Of course, I was laughing by the end credits of 'Requiem for a Dream' as well.

Ass to ass!  OMG.  LOL.

(Point?  These things are funny mainly if one doesn't find themselves emotionally invested in the film for whatever reason.)
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 07:34:20 AM

Of course, I was laughing by the end credits of 'Requiem for a Dream' as well.

Ass to ass!  OMG.  LOL.

(Point?  These things are funny mainly if one doesn't find themselves emotionally invested in the film for whatever reason.)

Requiem for a Dream made me laugh too.

Seriously who the fuck makes emo movies for heroin addicts? Is that a large audience?

And the ass to ass scene was awesome with Jennifer Connelly, watched it in slow mo on the DVD numerous times.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 07:36:21 AM

Oh boy.
WayAbvPar

Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 10:47:34 AM

Finally saw Juno. It was amusing. Not fantastic, but worth the ~80 minutes I invested.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 14, 2009, 04:35:58 PM

I thought it was better then 9/10 movies out there. It was funny

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Juno  
Jump to: