Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:30:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: In Other News: Corruption in eve reaches the same hights... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In Other News: Corruption in eve reaches the same hights...  (Read 2867 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

on: February 03, 2009, 02:11:13 PM

Posting this seperatly because this is not War related buit still hilarious

First Someone sort of cheats at a tournament match by shooting his own side...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eve-tournament-upset-by-assassination

EVE tournament upset by assassination

Massively reports that an EVE Online player-versus-player tournament match this weekend was upset by an assassination attempt, in which an infiltrator destroyed his own team leader's ship.

Warfare in EVE Online is a political, no-holds-barred affair, which is why developer CCP hosts a PVP Tournament to allow player alliances to test their strength against each other on a level playing field. However, a player going by the handle Happy Joymaker changed all that when he turned his weapons on the leader of his own team, Issler Dainze of an alliance called The Honda Accord, before self-destructing.

Happy Joymaker turned out to be an agent of another alliance, The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc. Apparently the assassination was motivated by a personal grudge and intended to be a public humiliation of Dainze, rather than an attempt to sabotage the chances of The Honda Accord in the tournament.

Just as well, since The Honda Accord went on to win the match regardless, as you can see from the match report and video footage.

The victim of the attack seems quite happy with the extra attention garnered for his team's first entry into the PVP tournament. But the move has caused some debate among EVE players. Some feel the manipulation of an organised tournament was a step too far. For others, the game's complete freedom of action and deep political machinations are what sets it apart, and this assassination is the perfect example of that.

One thing's for sure - writing MMO news would be much more dull in a world without EVE Online.

And then someone sets up and eve bank. and then walks off with everyone elses cash... (AGAIN)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eve-player-runs-off-with-isk-80-billion

EVE player runs off with ISK 80 billion

News by Ellie Gibson

22 January, 2009

Stupidly complicated sci-fi MMO EVE Online is experiencing its very own financial crisis this week after a player ran of with ISK 80 billion.

The player in question, who goes by the name of Xabier, had been employed as an investments manager by player-run Dynasty Banking. His job gave him access to funds invested in the bank by other players.

As reported by Massively.com, Xabier has admitted to running off with ISK 86 billion worth of assets.

The bank's chairman, Manalapan, has issued a statement trying to clear things up.

"I would like to point out that it is still not known for certain whether Xabier has, for lack of a better word, scammed," said Manalapan.

"What we DO know is that he has missed a dividend payment on a personal bond." Oh. "And his bio now states, 'Thanks for all the fish.'" Ah.

Manalapan went on to promise investors that Dynasty Banking will cover the cost of any misdemeanours. "We assure you that we have enough ISK in reserves and, if the situation arises, assets to cover this loss and continue moving forward for the future."

Another player-run firm, EBANK, has offered to help out if things get really tough. "From what I have seen after talking to Manalapan it's quite likely EBANK won't need to assist at all but it can't hurt to have that extra backup just in case," said managing director Ricdic.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 02:17:30 PM

I'm still waiting for EvE Bank to walk off with a 1 trillion isk one of these days.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:41:23 PM

Why, Why do people keep giving money to these 'Banks'  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:08:10 PM

Why, Why do people keep giving money to these 'Banks'  why so serious?

To be fair, the record of the established bond issuers is good.

Assuming you only risk what you can afford to lose, it is no more crazy than joining a fleet which could potentially turn on you and melt your ship. Given how many people are willing to join a suas fleet, it seems most players are comfortable with that level of risk.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:33:50 PM

If you play the market game well, you reach a point where you literally run out of ways to use your capital productively.  Your niche is simply not going to absorb any more, and you don't have the time to explore another one.  So you start looking for "passive income" opportunities, places to dump a big pile of cash in exchange for a steady trickle of more that you don't have to work at.

Or you start hiring mercenaries.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 02:22:09 AM

Corruption in Eve has become so widespread, I'm starting to wonder who you can trust these days! If they made a movie out of Eve based on real events, it would be a box office smash!

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 03:02:50 AM

You can trust me, little girl.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 03:38:04 AM

Is this where you ask me to sit on your lap and show me the magic trick?

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 03:50:23 AM

Is this where you ask me to sit on your lap and show me the magic trick?

Don't you want to be like the big girls?

On-topic, I am very much of the opinion that, since inflation isn't a serious problem in Eve (deflation has been more of a theme in my time, thanks to T2/invention), a few safe billion are better than the gamble of somebody offering 5% a month and the risk they'll go Fuck Endie with it.  I think that the odds that someone will steal my money in any given month is a bit higher than 20-1, after all.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 08:50:29 AM

I guess goons aren't the only ones who "scam pubbies every day".

Also, as a point of interest, the Honda Accord is one of our wardecs.

Witty banter not included.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 10:40:39 AM

The Honda Accord is an awesome corp/alliance name.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: In Other News: Corruption in eve reaches the same hights...  
Jump to: