Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:06:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Vista - Home Basic OR Home Premium 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vista - Home Basic OR Home Premium  (Read 2589 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: January 26, 2009, 10:09:09 AM

I have been looking but i cant really find what the big differences are.... In fact, it seems like basic has a bunch of the proprietary MS crap taken out.

I know, I'm late to the game, but as a home users that just needs a decent OS, what would i be missing in just getting the basic version. I really only game, and do art development.

I don't need crap like Windows Meeting Space or Windows Fax and Scan, however...Windows Backup i could use..

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:44 AM

I'd go with Premium 100%, but right now I honestly wouldn't upgrade.  Windows 7 is coming out this fall and it's already shaping up to be faster than Vista.  In fact Vista's SP2 will be releasing around when Windows 7 comes out, so you might as well wait.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:36:26 AM

I have Home Premium - it was the only 64-bit option when I got my new machine. I can honestly say that in six months I've never used a single one of the additional features. Some people like the Aero interface, but I regard it as so much bloated crap. Like any good Luddite, I immediately set everything to display like Windows 3.1.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:56:05 AM

I'd go with Premium 100%, but right now I honestly wouldn't upgrade.  Windows 7 is coming out this fall and it's already shaping up to be faster than Vista.  In fact Vista's SP2 will be releasing around when Windows 7 comes out, so you might as well wait.

Absolutely true.  Hell, I'm using the Windows 7 beta right now, and I don't plan on removing it until they actually release the real deal.  I'll even go so far as to circumvent their time bomb/expiration on the beta if Win7 isn't out by July 1st.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:56:45 AM

^ I agree with this, hold out if possible. It shouldn't be too long before Win7 releases. Hell, download the beta of Win7 if it's still available. That may even get you all the way to its release and can skip Vista all together.

If you are absolutely set on Vista Home Basic vs Premium, I'd go Premium. For the $10 price difference, why not? I do enjoy Aero and think it's neat, it's definitely not essential though and I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. The only times I truly think it's more then just crap is when I'm  bored enough to play multiple instances of some games as it makes seeing which client I'm tabbing to possible before selecting that client.

I plan on exploring a bit more of the Media Center as well, that may have a few options that I may enjoy. Really those are the only noteable differences between the two for me. I haven't even tried the backup options of Vista yet, it may be good, but I still back shit up to dvd-r...=/
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 11:04:47 AM

Well the main reason i am even thinking about this, is i need a key. I can't seem to find XP for sale anymore.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:10:02 AM

Well the main reason i am even thinking about this, is i need a key. I can't seem to find XP for sale anymore.

Again, then go for the Win 7 beta.  It's free, it's better than Vista, and it'll hold you over until they actually make a release.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:11:43 AM

Again, then go for the Win 7 beta.  It's free, it's better than Vista, and it'll hold you over until they actually make a release.

While a good idea. Sadly, with some of the software i use, i can't take a gamble on compatibility, and still make money. If you wonder how i got to this situation, i have 3 machines, and two keys (the 3ed machine i have put together myself). A friend of mines laptop died, so i loaned him my old machine, and used its key...forgetting that my new machine needed it. heh. So i am short one copy of windows, and i can't take it back from him, he needs it to make money to fix his laptop.

Somewhat of a catch-22, so, i figured i would just pick up a copy of windows.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:15:04 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:14:52 AM

Really?  Really really?  I need some sort of Windows OS key before The Sims 3 arrives and I had decided on Vista-64: Ebay Edition.  I am not sure I want to trust my balls to a beta Microsoft OS.  Am I going to have to read that Windows 7 thread again?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:28:00 AM

Really?  Really really?  I need some sort of Windows OS key before The Sims 3 arrives and I had decided on Vista-64: Ebay Edition.  I am not sure I want to trust my balls to a beta Microsoft OS.  Am I going to have to read that Windows 7 thread again?

I've had zero problems beyond some niggling stuff that had a work around for it.  This is my main OS now, and I have no intention of going back to Vista x64.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 11:30:01 AM

While a good idea. Sadly, with some of the software i use, i can't take a gamble on compatibility, and still make money.

Any compatibility issues you'd have with 7 you'll have with Vista.  They're basically the same OS, it's just that 7 is actually efficient.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 11:35:47 AM

Alright.  If I lose my balls, I'm flying to your house the next day.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 03:31:37 PM

Probably not, since you'll be very sore.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 03:50:02 PM

Newegg has it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Vista - Home Basic OR Home Premium  
Jump to: