Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:43:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Holidays Are Nearly Here ~ Gift Suggestions? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Holidays Are Nearly Here ~ Gift Suggestions?  (Read 2723 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: November 14, 2004, 12:57:36 PM

So the holidays are almost here, and I'm debating buying an LCD monitor and a bitch ass video card so that by Feburary I can put in an 64-bit proc. and motherboard.

I was looking at this LCD @ Circuit City:

Sony 19" Panel w/ XBRITE tech

That would be optimal, I might settle for the 17" though as a 'cheaper' alternative. Any other suggestions?

As for video cards:

ATI X800 XT

But I was looking for an alternative ~300 bucks. Anyone have any suggestions? It has to be next gen because this is for a future machine, not a quick upgrade to my current one (although my fucking ti4600 is sorely pressed these days).

Edit: Gift suggestions for myself.  I'm so selfish.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 02:18:33 PM

That Sony LCD looks pretty good actually. If I hadn't recently gotten a 19" flatscreen CRT I'd be very tempted to get one. Going from 17" to 19" is only $140 or so, certainly worth the money IMHO.

For the video card, you could get an ATI X800 SE or PRO for around $300. I have the PRO version and it works great. If you get the "special" version of PRO you can actually hack/mod it to run as fast as the XT version. Check the 3drage forums for stuff like that.

Also, I always use PriceWatch to find good prices on computer components.

- Viin
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 04:28:59 PM

Quote from: Viin
That Sony LCD looks pretty good actually. If I hadn't recently gotten a 19" flatscreen CRT I'd be very tempted to get one. Going from 17" to 19" is only $140 or so, certainly worth the money IMHO.

For the video card, you could get an ATI X800 SE or PRO for around $300. I have the PRO version and it works great. If you get the "special" version of PRO you can actually hack/mod it to run as fast as the XT version. Check the 3drage forums for stuff like that.

Also, I always use PriceWatch to find good prices on computer components.

How's the sound like on the ATI X800 Pro?  I'm curious, because my current rig is loud as shit and anything that makes it louder might be bordering on airline tarmac.

I'm not sold on either ATI or Nvidia, so 6800 options are also there.  I'd much prefer the drivers on the Nvidia, but my bud got the ATI 9800 about the time I got my Nvidia card, and I've been jealous ever since.
doubleplus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 05:51:33 PM

Rather than hardware, I'm going handheld this year. It's our last Christmas before the kid arrives, so we're going all out on a "last childhood" deal. She's getting a DS and a PSP (ick), and I've asked for every known N-Gage QD game in existence and a DS as well, since you can network for multiplayer. The portability should help with a little one scurrying around.

Also, I'm sure there are some good book series being bundled around this time of the year (coughdarktowercough), so there shouldn't be any shortage of reading material for a bibliophile.

WoW! GaH!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 06:18:44 PM

I don't even know what a DS or a PSP is.  Don't you people ever speak fucking English?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 06:38:24 PM

Handheld games. Gameboy DS, Sony PSP.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 07:19:37 PM

Quote from: Signe
I don't even know what a DS or a PSP is.  Don't you people ever speak fucking English?

Do you live under a rock?

Sony PSP

Nintendo DS

Both seem pretty cool. I think the DS will be out for Christmas (??) and can play all GBA games (oops, sorry: Game Boy Advance).

- Viin
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 07:26:08 PM

Quote from: MrHat
How's the sound like on the ATI X800 Pro?  I'm curious, because my current rig is loud as shit and anything that makes it louder might be bordering on airline tarmac.

Sorry MrHat, I missed this somehow.

I don't think it's loud at all. I have ATI's card (not one of the 3rd party cards) and I don't notice it at all. At least, my compture isn't any loader than normal (I have about 6 fans, but they are all high quality ball bearing fans so they are pretty quite). My air filter in "quiet" mode is about as loud as my computer.

- Viin
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 12:53:42 PM

I might live under a rock.  Why do you ask?

Oh, and congrats on the baby, ++!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 02:57:53 PM

Quote from: MrHat

The X800 Pro is fairly quiet. You will hear it if your whole rig is set up to be very silent. But on most normal rigs it will not increase the output of sound.

Wiiiiii!
Moroni

Email
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 07:35:07 PM

It takes a brave soul to buy an ATI card. The 6800 Ultras are very nice from what I have heard and seen.

Is it true that the CRT monitors cause serious eye problems? If so I might need to ammend my list to include an LCD screen.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 09:15:07 AM

Costco.com has a 20" LCD monitor w/ TV input for $550 until Sunday.

I think they have a 19" LCD for $269 (maybe they were 17") too so I wonder if 2 19" for $520 would be better.

Also saw in the paper at the San Fran airport that the Goodguys had a 46" flat panel HDTV for $1000.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Holidays Are Nearly Here ~ Gift Suggestions?  
Jump to: