Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:16:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Treme 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Treme  (Read 2529 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: March 31, 2010, 01:02:06 PM

Seems we need a thread for this.  IMDB link

From David Simon of The Wire.  Starts 4/11.   New HBO drama set in New Orleans post hurricane Katrina.  I expect good things.  

Some sad news today, however.  David Mills, a long-time Simon collaborator, died after filming.  He worked on The Corner and The Wire, and won Emmys etc. Via Huff Post

Edit:

from the trailer
>I mean, all you wanna do is get high and play some trumpet and BBQ in New Orleans your whole damn life?

>Yeah, that'll work.
   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:08:05 PM by Soln »
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:16:09 AM

Couple of trailers for this

Trailer 1
Trailer 2

Colour me interested.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:01:33 AM

So far this show is interesting, but far from compelling.  Despite one TV critic saying I'd care about all the characters, I'm having problems caring about a single one. There's no plot to speak of, it's (understandably) just like watching an ant farm after it's been shook up.

The music is pretty cool and well mixed into the show, but the rest is just meandering. It's 3 episodes in and falling into the bad trap that a lot of HBO tv finds itself in: nothing is really happening.

I'll continue to watch, just because there's worse ways to spend an hour.  Hey, next week John Goodman discovers YouTube  Facepalm

-Rasix
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:53:22 PM

Did you watch The Wire?  Simon has a very deliberate manner in pacing but the depth pays off eventually. If you aren't familiar with it it can seem pretty slow.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:41:55 AM

Did you watch The Wire?  Simon has a very deliberate manner in pacing but the depth pays off eventually. If you aren't familiar with it it can seem pretty slow.

The Wire is my all time favorite TV show.  Season 2 was my favorite season and that started out very slowly.  But, from the outset, the Wire had forward momentum and clearly distinguishable, interesting  plot lines.  I'm not seeing that here yet, but I'm not giving up either.  The pacing really isn't bothering me. 

-Rasix
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:30:07 AM

The Wire is my all time favorite TV show.  Season 2 was my favorite season and that started out very slowly.  But, from the outset, the Wire had forward momentum and clearly distinguishable, interesting  plot lines.  I'm not seeing that here yet, but I'm not giving up either.  The pacing really isn't bothering me. 

Not that this is the place for it, but I thought the 2nd season was the worst of the five.

As for Treme, I'm not hooked at all. Hell, I don't think I have it DVRing at this point.

Even me being a musician hasn't helped really. I get a kick outta some parts, I like bunk's character....but I don't know...pretty slow.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:10:29 PM

Rasix echoes my feelings.  I want to love this, but it feels too much like just montage and soap opera.  There's no clear central narrative like in the Wire to hang everything else around. 
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:52:00 PM

I've kept up with it both because I was a huge fan of the Wire and I'm hoping to see some of that brilliance, and because I'm from N.O. and part of the diaspora.  But the show's a fucking bore.  I thought it was because it lacked the cops & robbers hook of the Wire at first, but it just seems excessively fawning over the city.  I love the Wendell Pierce character, and Steve Zahn is alright.  But John Goodman pisses me off to no end because of how authentic he is.  I can't stand the fucking gentry class of N.O. that wants nothing more than to navel gaze on how unique and special they are and how no one can understand that unless they're from New Orleans.  In the first episode when that brit reporter alleges the city is provincial, yeah it sure as hell is.  The other characters should've drowned in their attics they're so boring.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 03:09:57 PM

I gave up waiting for something to happen.  But maybe there is an arc?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/13/katrina-bridge-shootings_n_644988.html
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Treme  
Jump to: