Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:40:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW reaches 11 million plus worldwide. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW reaches 11 million plus worldwide.  (Read 8585 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

on: October 28, 2008, 09:53:16 AM

11 million plus

Explains how they count, too.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:02:20 AM

The disclaimer also shows that they can afford a decent legal staff!   why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:03:52 AM

Chart! (I put them at 11.1)

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:12:15 AM

Do any analysis to see where they should peak?  Looks logarithmic (as you would expect).

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 10:29:28 AM

Well since they haven't dipped yet, the population of the entire world?

Actually they've been growing at ~2 million subs every year starting in 2006. There's a good chance they'll continue that trend after WotLK releases and hit 12 million in December/January. So it's a question of how long you think they can continue growing and whether or not any non-Blizzard game in the relatively near term is going to be able to actually cause them to have a net loss in subs over a reasonable period of time rather than simply slow down their growth rate.

I don't know what Blizzard's plans are beyond WotLK but 14 million by the end of 2010 does not seem unreasonable (2 million in 2 years which is half the growth than they've had). I wouldn't bet money that will be the game's peak, though.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:30:40 AM

I would expect something of a growth upswing for WotLK and for several months following it. After that it should plateau again somewhat. They can probably sustain slow growth for a couple more years, which should see them within publicity distance of their second MMO. Throw some marketing rewards in that game based on participation in this one, and they're still buying the directors new sports cars for some time.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 10:35:51 AM

Throw some marketing rewards in that game based on participation in this one, and they're still buying the directors new Yachts for some time.

FIFY

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:08:48 AM

Larry Ellison bought Activision Blizzard?

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 11:19:03 AM

I would expect something of a growth upswing for WotLK and for several months following it.

BC came out in Jan 07, but I really don't see any dramatic upswing during that time frame.  It looks pretty much like the rest of the line.  I wonder if WoTLK will be any different in that regard.

whether or not any non-Blizzard game in the relatively near term is going to be able to actually cause them to have a net loss in subs over a reasonable period of time rather than simply slow down their growth rate.

So I wonder whether anyone has ever analyzed whether the launch of a new game has ever materially affected the subs of a different one.  In WoW's case there are no obvious dips anywhere, let alone when another game launched.  Is this unique to WOW or does this predicted cannibalization never really happen?  There have obviously been dips in other games' subs, but it seems like it's more often caused by the game in question, not in the MMOG ecosystem.

One last thing. It looks like WoW was set to stabilize at around 2 million subs between March 05 and July 05 (that was still insanely good for the time period).  But around July something happened to fire the sub numbers off into the stratosphere.  What happened and why has it never looked back?

Witty banter not included.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 11:25:01 AM

One last thing. It looks like WoW was set to stabilize at around 2 million subs between March 05 and July 05 (that was still insanely good for the time period).  But around July something happened to fire the sub numbers off into the stratosphere.  What happened and why has it never looked back?
That's the China launch.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 11:35:51 AM

I would expect something of a growth upswing for WotLK and for several months following it.

BC came out in Jan 07, but I really don't see any dramatic upswing during that time frame.  It looks pretty much like the rest of the line.  I wonder if WoTLK will be any different in that regard.

The line between late 2006 and early 2007 (TBC) is steeper than the line for earlier in 2006. That's the degree of upswing I am expecting, not a spike.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 12:06:07 PM

One thing about wow's success now is that it's a snowball effect. People play wow because all their friends are playing it, because it's the biggest game in town, so more people play and then their friends play....ad infinitum

I want to say wow is no longer part of the mmo market, it's a thing unto itself it is a cultural phenomena now and not quite subject to regular game laws.  This is a good thing imo for games like war, aoc or the old republic coming out. I want to say that wow has little bearings on those game's success and vice versa now.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:47 PM

I want to say wow is no longer part of the mmo market, it's a thing unto itself it is a cultural phenomena now and not quite subject to regular game laws.  This is a good thing imo for games like war, aoc or the old republic coming out. I want to say that wow has little bearings on those game's success and vice versa now.

I think I agree. WoW did not seem to expand the MMOG market, as some have said. That market seems to be about 1.5 million players. Spread over X amount of titles. With most of them trying the new shiny (AoC, WAR, etc...) and then settling down again.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Dewdrop
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 12:43:00 PM

The best part in that press release was where they mentioned they were hiring. The image of a money-hat assembly line with too much money and not enough people making hats immediately popped into my head for some reason..
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 12:58:19 PM

The best part in that press release was where they mentioned they were hiring. The image of a money-hat assembly line with too much money and not enough people making hats immediately popped into my head for some reason..

Have you been to the blizzard office? it's a horrible mess, there's money all over the place, filling up cubicles and sticking to your shoes. They need some people to safely handle and bundle it all up so they can properly make hats and clothes out of it. I mean they are really hurting here people, let's not make light.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 01:33:49 PM

I dunno. I wonder what AoC and WAR's numbers -- initial sales and retention after the first month -- would be like if WOW never existed. I can't imagine either of them breaking 200k. (But then again, I suspected the same thing about WOW.)

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 02:08:35 PM

I'm pretty damn sure if you look at a graph of say, DaoC's sub numbers, they just PLUNGE at the same time WoW is released.

You can also mark that point as to when they actually started making significant class changes in DaoC too  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 02:12:35 PM

I'm pretty damn sure if you look at a graph of say, DaoC's sub numbers, they just PLUNGE at the same time WoW is released.

Definately. EQ too. EQ became a ghost town over night, according to friends who kept playing. Half my old guild moved to WoW while the EQ  portion completely disbanded several months later. Of course EQ didnt help matters by immediately consolodating servers. I don't know if it helped the ppl still playing much but it really broke the ties to EQ for the people who's server got deep sixed, IMO.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 02:54:17 PM

Nod. My EQ guild went from having 40-60 on raids to like 25-30 overnight. I played both for awhile, but when I found myself playing WoW for something to do while lfg in EQ... well I could read the writing on the wall.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 04:04:10 PM

I think the next step is for them to build some tallest building skyscraper somewhere and make it the HQ for all the employees, and have a skydeck for visitors to gawk out of and take pictures.  Then there'll be a movie, Sleepless Playing WoW or something, parts of it filmed on location.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 04:14:07 PM

One of the explanations for the mid '05 spike is also the first time when Blizzard actually had stable servers. They had just started their weekly 5 hour maintenance window a few weeks before, and had just gotten over a rash of multi-day server outages (there was one in the beginning of May 05 in which they gave every character full rest state at a time when everyone was still levelling either their first toon or a very early alt) which definitely would not have done much for word of mouth. I know I was not saying to friends they needed to try the game out at that point :p

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 08:18:41 PM

I think I agree. WoW did not seem to expand the MMOG market, as some have said. That market seems to be about 1.5 million players. Spread over X amount of titles. With most of them trying the new shiny (AoC, WAR, etc...) and then settling down again.

I think that when you say MMOG market you meant the NA and Europe MMO market. A good chunk of WOW's players come from other regions like China / Taiwan / Korea etc.

So in a way, increases in subs from those region does not really help grow the English MMO player base, unless there are the willingness (and ability) for other MMO companies to commit to stepping into non-english regions like WOW did.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 09:09:20 PM

I don't really agree. I've only paid for WoW and Guild Wars. I've beta'd a few others.

But I just dont pay money for a MMO that looks a bit eh at launch. I'm sure there are lots of people like me, who would play a MMO, but just do go in for the whole 'buy every game at launch' thing. I'm pretty sure WoW has expanded the market a bit.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 10:29:31 PM

Chart! (I put them at 11.1)

Hey now, I thought they lost a few subscribers to AoC, for a small period. That deserves a nanometer-sized V in that chart during AoC launch!

Seriously, I have nothing to say. Im not suprised nor was this unexpected. I said this in 2006, the only game that will make WoW start losing subscribers is another Blizzard game.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 11:16:54 PM

I think that when you say MMOG market you meant the NA and Europe MMO market. A good chunk of WOW's players come from other regions like China / Taiwan / Korea etc.

So in a way, increases in subs from those region does not really help grow the English MMO player base, unless there are the willingness (and ability) for other MMO companies to commit to stepping into non-english regions like WOW did.

Of course. Although, as an aside,  I suspect the proportions would probably compare to their subscriber bases as well.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW reaches 11 million plus worldwide.  
Jump to: