Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR Beta: How could they have missed ... ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR Beta: How could they have missed ... ?  (Read 14240 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 02:10:19 PM

Are spammers finding some sort of way of putting special characters into their names that just aren't displaying in chat?  Otherwise, yes, it is odd that this function is not working.

"Ahmadinejad tells you, 'You buy gold, 1 for $5.  Also powerleveling 1-40 for $777.  www.helpmebuynukes.com'" (x20)

"Ahmadinejad is online" -> in ignorelist

"/ignore Ahmadinejad" -> "You have removed Ahmadinejad from your ignorelist"

"/ignore Ahmadinejad" -> "You are now ignoring Ahmadinejad"

"Ahmadinejad tells you, 'You buy gold, 1 for $5.  Also powerleveling 1-40 for $777.  www.helpmebuynukes.com'" (x20)

Total.  Fucking.  Clownshoes.

Database Fail.  Very reminiscent of SWG launch clownshoes. 
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 02:21:19 PM

Things have gotten better for me since the patch/ram upgrade, but I still get CTD's now and again. I've had it poop twice coming out of a scenario, a couple times while just running around and once during a scenario. I also get weird hitches where all the textures go 8-bit color funky and then come back to normal. And I'm pretty sure there's a nasty memory leak as WAR was hogging 900+ megs of memory after a crash. I'm living with it but it is rather frustrating. On a positive note, I found I can pretty much run all the settings on high, albeit with a rather low res (I don't care about this as anything in high res and I can't read the chat box).

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 02:40:43 PM

DaoC had some pretty terrible memory leaks, WAR is following in step it appears.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 02:44:34 PM

I wonder if /vidreset really ever did anything.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 03:18:31 PM

AFAIK it did nothing.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 03:19:58 PM

Don't discount the placebo effect!

"Me am play gods"
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #41 on: October 06, 2008, 07:14:18 PM

The problem with AoC was the lack of content. The problem with WAR is the lack of people/realm balance.

No, it doesn't sound familiar. The scenarios are there. The PQs are there. The open RvR and keeps are there. It's not the content that's missing. It's the people.

Though, arguably, the people are [the] content.

AoC had a number of bugs and missing content that people had bought the game specifically to play.

Ultimately WAR has a lot of PvE content and PvP content of varying quality (maps where one side is advantaged = poor quality). Perhaps it even has TOO MUCH content, which spreads players out too thinly. PQs are a great idea, but appear to be generally impossible in anything but peak periods unless you happen to stumble over the one per tier that has become popular.

Realm imbalance is the big question mark for me that makes me wonder about WAR's design. DAOC indicated that realm imbalance could be a real problem, so perhaps Mythic thought having only 2 sides would mean this wouldn't be an issue. The whole attitude that launch would somehow sort out realm balance, or that beta players are a different breed of player who prefer the dark side but other types of players would love to be the good guys, just smacks of naievity. That there wasn't even a mechanism at launch to try to encourage realm balance - buffs to the disadvantaged side, or xp bonuses or something - makes me wonder exactly how much Mythic learned from DAOC.

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #42 on: October 06, 2008, 08:51:15 PM

No item linking at launch in such a gear centric game as this one is inexcusable, period.
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 06, 2008, 08:51:52 PM

I get at least one CTD every 2 hours or so. Sucked when you had to go back into the queue. Game ran very smooth for me up until the 1.01 patch, now my FPS is BRUTAL. Tried deleting the cache folder and that didn't seem to help.

Exactly the same thing here. It was perfect before the patch, now is terrible on my machine, which I built specifically to play this game at the highest settings while watching ultra high def TV on two monitors (no joke).

It may have fixed it for some, it broke it for me.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #44 on: October 06, 2008, 09:50:36 PM

AFAIK it did nothing.
Wasn't it a leftover command from the first client?

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #45 on: October 06, 2008, 10:16:48 PM

ultra high def TV

7,680 × 4,320 pixels. I'm impressed. You're seriously ahead on the tech curve.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 07, 2008, 01:48:22 AM

Are spammers finding some sort of way of putting special characters into their names that just aren't displaying in chat?  Otherwise, yes, it is odd that this function is not working.

"Ahmadinejad is online" -> in ignorelist

"/ignore Ahmadinejad" -> "You have removed Ahmadinejad from your ignorelist"

"/ignore Ahmadinejad" -> "You are now ignoring Ahmadinejad"

Total.  Fucking.  Clownshoes.

Yup, happened to me too. Reported gold spammer (a tedious process compared to WOW's right click on name>select report spam) + added to ignore list.

3 hours later the bugger is still spamming me through the ignore, even when I tried remove and re-add him to ignore. Lets see if the same account will spam me later.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 07, 2008, 05:35:27 AM

Whatever WoW did to slow down spammers seemed to work pretty well.  Yes it is easy to report them, but I just don't get spammed now.  I might get a tell once a month now.  They still sit and spam in general /say around the banks, but I can live with that.  Plus, as said, it is very easy to report them.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 09:33:31 AM

I know there are work-arounds, but surely censoring the names of any gold spam sites is a easy way forward. It forces the gold spammer to spend time modifying their message instead of just rolling up a new character every other day.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: WAR Beta: How could they have missed ... ?  
Jump to: