Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Arafat dead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arafat dead  (Read 7186 times)
personman
Terracotta Army

on: November 04, 2004, 08:50:23 AM

Let the insanity commence.  Here I mean... :p
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 08:53:48 AM

First post!  I mean...
PARIS Nov 4, 2004 — Yasser Arafat has lapsed into a coma in a French hospital, a senior Palestinian official said Thursday, a day after the Palestinian leader was rushed to intensive care following a sharp deterioration in his health.

He's almost there at least. http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=226372

I wonder who would replace him, I mean this guy has old school hate, hopefully he doesn't get replaced by someone with that new unfounded "kill anything" hate that seems to be popular nowadays.

personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 09:03:25 AM

Yeah there has been an eruption of counter claims.  Given the good-natured roasting Bush went on to give that reporter I get the impression he's a well-known detractor.  And probably just destroyed his career if he was wrong about Arafat.
Flashman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 10:07:29 AM

Good Riddance
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 10:22:56 AM

From what I have gleaned hes just been moved to another room as his condition has become more "complex". Ie... hes toast really soon. Maybe they will appoint someone who will accept the palastenian state idea Arafag turned down which is what they were asking for in the first place...

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 12:49:58 PM

"I'm not dead yet!"

Still, should be only a matter of days now.  Looks like the Israelis secret poison or bio-engineered pathogen or whatever it was worked!

Bruce
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 01:20:57 PM

This is really bad news for any hope of peace.  Whether Israel liked him or not, he helped bring a focus to all the hate that palestinians have.  Without a clear successor, I'm worried that his focus is going to die with him.  It should be clear from experience that the hate, however, will not.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 01:42:13 PM

Quote from: DarkDryad
From what I have gleaned hes just been moved to another room as his condition has become more "complex". Ie... hes toast really soon. Maybe they will appoint someone who will accept the palastenian state idea Arafag turned down which is what they were asking for in the first place...

Well, he turned it down because if he didn't he'd have lost power. Very complicated over there, but basically, Israel offered 90% of what he asked for. However, his followers said 100% or nothing. Oh..and destroy Israel while we're at it.

I won't miss the SOB when he's gone. I'm to the point where if Israel decided to turn Palestine into a giant plane of glass I'd just look the other way.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 02:09:15 PM

Quote from: Roac
This is really bad news for any hope of peace.

It really isn't.  If Arafat actually valued peace more than his own power, he wouldn't have shiv'd Abbas and he wouldn't be holding onto budgetary control with a death grip.  It looks like they will finally be able to get control of the PA out of his cold, dead hands.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 02:25:09 PM

I wouldn't want to be in Jerusalem the day the Palestinians demand/storm the temple mound to bury him... It will be hell.

Wiiiiii!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 02:37:50 PM

Quote from: Rodent
I wouldn't want to be in Jerusalem the day the Palestinians demand/storm the temple mound to bury him... It will be hell.

Whereas regular days are just considered Purgatory?

"Oh look, mommy, a tank!"

"That's nice, dear. Run along and play."

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 06:50:07 PM

Good.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 02:55:52 AM

Some sites are now reporting that he has AIDS. Gotta love the rumor mill.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 11:07:34 AM

The Isrealis claim that he is brain-dead.  I'm inclined to believe it.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 02:13:40 PM

I wonder how much disruption that'll cause down there.

"Hey, Arafat just died."
"Hmm, bummer."
"Hey, you just lost another relative to a car bomb."
"Hmm, bummer."

It doesn't pass the monkey-sphere test of disruption.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 08:44:16 PM

I figure the thinking is somthing like "Thank G-d he's dead, I hope the next guy isn't worse."

Really sums up the whole middle-east situation.
Biobanger
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 09:15:15 PM

I just know that the next guy will be some nobody that no one will care about. He'll let the country just keep on truckin'. Pretty much like the only record of him will be in a geography class's textbook.

Charlie says: Always tell your mommy before you go out somewhere.
Playing: WoW. Waiting on: Gods and Heroes, Guild Wars
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 10:41:40 PM

Since the next guy didn't form the PLO, at least a few Israelis will take him seriously for a few months. At least a few Palestinians will not. The result will be more of the same, with dozens of Palestinians being killed in reprisal for every Jew killed, like an ironic reinterpretation of Nazi occupation of villages hiding their resistance.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 09:07:35 AM

So, today's news is that Arafat's coma deepened, he had a brain hemorrage, and he's expected to be removed from life support and die today.  The Palestinian Authority is now working on operating a post-Arafat government, whether he dies today or not.

Bruce
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 09:18:10 AM

Those silly palestinians with stars upon thars.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 10:01:04 AM

Is Arafat's wife a freak, or what?

I'd never seen her before, and I assumed she'd be some kind of dark, demure girl in a burkha.  But no, she's straight Hollywood with the frosted hair and leopard print scarf.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
personman
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 10:04:47 AM

She's always been Arafat's Yoko Ono.

It's all about the bennies, and I'd bet even money she's why Arafat was not pronounced dead until today so she'd have a chance to negotiate her parachute.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 02:06:06 PM

Gots to spend all that blood-soaked cash before SHE shuffles off this mortal coil...
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 08:21:56 PM

He's dead, Jim.

Next stop, a floppy-head in Hell on South Park.

Bruce
The Hanged Man

Email
Reply #24 on: November 10, 2004, 08:41:34 PM

Rumor mill says his family now has millions in unmarked French and Swiss bank accounts skimmed off the top of money sent to help the Palestinians.
Ganon
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 10, 2004, 10:53:28 PM

Quote from: SirBruce
He's dead, Jim.

Next stop, a floppy-head in Hell on South Park.

Bruce

I think him and Saddam could be good for each other.  They wouldn't get all emotionally invested and could just have no-strings attached sex.

P.S. South Park would never do this because they are liberals and liberals like Palestinians.  Even if you are as irreverent as Trey and Matt there are some liberal loyalty lines you don't cross.

Hut Sir Magus
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: November 10, 2004, 10:56:36 PM

Quote from: Ganon
P.S. South Park would never do this because they are liberals and liberals like Palestinians.  Even if you are as irreverent as Trey and Matt there are some liberal loyalty lines you don't cross.

Like betraying Israel?

Edit: Or the Jews for that matter?
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 10:57:54 PM

Trey and Matt are liberals?  Really?  Did you see Team America, which they say represents their true political opinion?

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 08:08:32 AM

I have no doubt that Trey Parker and Matt Stone would make fun of just about anybody, on any political side whatsoever, whether they agree with it or not. Whether Team America represents their true political leanings or not (and I'm somewhat in doubt), it managed to make fun of both the Bushite War Hawks and the Liberal Peaceniks.

'MATT DA-MON!'

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 11, 2004, 08:21:56 AM

The tone of their remarks you will find vary from interview to interview.  In some they'll try to make the point that their primary motivation was entertainment, and people shouldn't look to them or listen to them for political insight.  But they are very down on the Hollywood crowd for going on TV and whining about Iraq and the War on Terror, and in a couple of interviews they've expressed the fact that they are fine with America being dicks, because that means they aren't assholes (terrorists) or pussies (the liberal crowd).

Matt Stone also has a personal beef with Michael Moore because he feels that Michael Moore edited Fahrenheit 9/11 misleadingly to make it seem like he did the cartoon that immediately followed his interview.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: November 11, 2004, 08:30:05 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
Matt Stone also has a personal beef with Michael Moore because he feels that Michael Moore edited Fahrenheit 9/11 misleadingly to make it seem like he did the cartoon that immediately followed his interview.

Michael Moore edit something in a misleading way? I'M SHOCKED, I tell you.

Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 12, 2004, 06:50:16 AM

These people sure have fucked up ways of mourning.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 12, 2004, 07:21:59 AM

Quote from: Kenrick
These people sure have fucked up ways of mourning.

That's nothing compared to what they did when Khomeini died in '89.  Literally tore the corpse apart so they could have "holy relics".

Say it with me, kids:  These are screwhead fucking savages.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: November 12, 2004, 09:08:50 AM

I think my first clue of that was the whole "blowing oneself up in a crowded cafe to fight a war" thing they got going on.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Arafat dead  
Jump to: