Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:53:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations...  (Read 8560 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 19, 2008, 07:36:13 PM

...needs a thread.

Who else here watches it? Who saw the Uwe Boll stuff on the Vancouver Episode?

Really, I'm not just making this for Voodoolily; Bourdain really is fucking awesome.

Also! He goes to EA Sports Vancouver.

He meets a producer who says he comes up with the general idea of what they're gonna make! Helluva producer!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:38:01 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:41:14 PM

He's apparently on Team Italia on FIFA Street 3. Maybe do want?
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:31:01 PM

Haha  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 08:47:18 PM

Haven't watched his show (mean to but never catch it) but his books are great.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:48:22 AM

This is on the Travel Channel right? I caught like 15 mins of it on the treadmill.

What times is it on?
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 05:34:05 AM

I have 200 channels of crap and the only thing I still watch on cable is Bourdain.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 06:15:28 AM

We love the show, been watching him since his old show on the food channel. His show on Lebanon was absolutely fantastic.

He also is a guest judge on Top Chef (a guilty pleasure) and has a blog on bravo's site there. And he's an occasional guest blogger on Ruhlman's blog, which is usually so he can take pot shots at Food Network.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:16:50 AM

I've seen it from time to time, and I like it.  I'm not a dedicated watcher.  I don't find it compelling enough to remember to watch it, though.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 07:49:23 AM

I've seen it from time to time, and I like it.  I'm not a dedicated watcher.  I don't find it compelling enough to remember to watch it, though.

This.

When it first started, I had a TiVo Season Pass set for it. After a few episodes, it just didn't hold my attention like I expected it would, so now I just catch it in short bits.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 08:08:01 AM

We love the show, been watching him since his old show on the food channel. His show on Lebanon was absolutely fantastic.

He also is a guest judge on Top Chef (a guilty pleasure) and has a blog on bravo's site there. And he's an occasional guest blogger on Ruhlman's blog, which is usually so he can take pot shots at Food Network.

Nothing guilty about Top Chef! Probably one of the only "reality" shows worth it's salt on tv.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 08:19:07 AM

Love this show, watched all of season one, two and three.  Just getting through season four now, last episode I caught was London and that place Ironwood lives near... Edinburgh, England.

If you like that show, one of Anthony's friends hosts Bizarre Foods.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:03:18 AM

I like this show too.  Don't watch a lot, unfortunately.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:31:27 AM

Isn't Edinburgh in Scotland? He ate a bunch of fried shit there.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 09:51:43 AM

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 09:54:03 AM

Yeah, that doesn't mean anything to me.  swamp poop

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 10:24:58 AM

The wife and I watch No Reservations. I could do without all the Bizarre Foods commercials though - I have no desire to watch that dude munching on cockroaches.

Ace of Cakes is surprisingly good too. Duff is a cool dude and I keep waiting for Geof to just pull out a huge Colombian doobie and take a drag.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 10:53:11 AM

...needs a thread.

Who else here watches it? Who saw the Uwe Boll stuff on the Vancouver Episode?

Really, I'm not just making this for Voodoolily; Bourdain really is fucking awesome.

Also! He goes to EA Sports Vancouver.

He meets a producer who says he comes up with the general idea of what they're gonna make! Helluva producer!

Yep, I'm avid fan. The Beirut episode was one of his best. The Vancouver one with Uwe Boll was awesome. Seeing Uwe just tell him to do "whatever" explained so much about why Uwe Boll sucks like a black hole as a movie director.

UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 11:48:14 AM

Big fan of the show...

He did an episode a couple months back on Cleveland.

Sokolowski's is awesome. Used to be a regular lunch place when I worked a bit closer. Add Harvey Pekar for teh win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2ANHLi8RA

West Side Market is a regular Saturday visit during the summer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9axN9w1n2Z8&feature=related

I still haven't eaten at a Michael Simon (Next Iron Chef) restaurant but it's on my short list:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-qkxh7Rgc

I also somehow have never eaten at Hot Sauce Williams. I work a lot closer to there now so its on the list for a summer lunch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWM33qUXq0k&feature=related
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 12:37:31 PM

The wife and I watch No Reservations. I could do without all the Bizarre Foods commercials though - I have no desire to watch that dude munching on cockroaches.

Ace of Cakes is surprisingly good too. Duff is a cool dude and I keep waiting for Geof to just pull out a huge Colombian doobie and take a drag.

I watch No Reservations, but I also watch Bizarre Foods.  And it's funny but Bizarre Foods is basically like Bourdain's first show, more then his new one is.

I watch Top Chef too.. but none of the new chefs jump out at me this season.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 01:21:25 PM

One does for me. The bearded mouthy motherfucker who talks like I post. He needs to shut his gob.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 01:52:12 PM

The are setting up the obnoxious dude with the faux-hawk as this year's Marcel but he doesn't have the same chops.  The whole "we are a lesbian couple but we are still competing against each other thing" is totally lame and already played out. Don't know why they thought they had to bring something like that into a show that is traditionally more focused on work output.

I kinda like the goofy New Zealander dude but maybe that is just me longing for more Flight of the Concords. 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 03:01:17 PM

One does for me. The bearded mouthy motherfucker who talks like I post. He needs to shut his gob.

That you're a fan of Andrew makes SO much sense.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 03:05:13 PM

The are setting up the obnoxious dude with the faux-hawk as this year's Marcel but he doesn't have the same chops.  The whole "we are a lesbian couple but we are still competing against each other thing" is totally lame and already played out. Don't know why they thought they had to bring something like that into a show that is traditionally more focused on work output.

I kinda like the goofy New Zealander dude but maybe that is just me longing for more Flight of the Concords. 

I disliked the presentation of that aspect the first show.  It felt very much like "LOOK ITS DRAMA!!!!  WHAT CAN WE DO NEXT!!"

The chefs all seem to be fairly competant.  The constantly-nervous-red-head (Stephanie?) is on my nerves already.  The Haemish-guy (Andrew?) as well.  Both of those could provisionally turn around in my eyes if they tone down the personality quirks a bit,  because it looks like they know what they're doing.

The faux-mohawk haircuts are awful.  As are the tattoos and piercings, which just look shitty on TV.  It looks like a bunch of people trying to look cool rather than competant, and not pulling it off.

I also like the Kiwi.  At this point,  not sure about anyone else.  There are a couple more quiet but competant people that will step out in a few episodes, I'm sure.

The judges have been pretty good.  They've been critical without going overboard.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 03:05:27 PM

We always root for the lesbian. This time we have three.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 03:30:17 PM

Dale, Andrew, Spike and Erik.

The rest are completely inconsequential.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 05:05:22 PM

If you like that show, one of Anthony's friends hosts Bizarre Foods.

My wife and I tried to watch that once.  Didn't get past the introductory part where he discussed what he'd be eating.  Vile. 

As for Bourdain, yah, love it.  I have about 10 No Reservations sitting on the DVR.  One of my favorite moments was in the Vietnam episode where he's eating something these people are calling a "squeezel" (had a big montage of them chopping up this mystery meat).   He pulls a giant quill out of his mouth after he bites into something pointy. "Ohh, porcupine."  Then gets offered a shot of whiskey that's been sharing a jar with various dead animals for who knows how long.

I envy his stomach.  That's some fortitude (or liberal dosages of Imodium).

-Rasix
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 05:40:22 PM

Yeah, we watch him here. His various shows are on about 6 times per day so we've seen a lot of them, but not in any specific order. Haven't seen the Uwe Boll one, for example, and yeah now that it's mentioned there was quite a bit of the old "bizarre foods" in A Cook's Tour. I remember the south african tribesman one where they got him to eat ash-and-dirt-caked ostrich egg and the testes of some damn thng. So yeah, I don't bother with the bizarre foods show.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 07:25:24 PM

That you're a fan of Andrew makes SO much sense.

I'm actually not. I want to punch him squarely in his face everytime he opens his piehole.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 07:56:35 PM

I'm actually not. I want to punch him squarely in his face everytime he opens his piehole.

You and Sauced both. I am embarrassed that his antics make me giggle a little, but Sauced fucking hates that guy with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 09:41:46 AM

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 10:32:37 AM

Holy shit, he looked like an extra from The Adams Family.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 01:46:53 PM

He looks like Shinky Chen.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 02:13:53 PM

Jesus... he looks like the love child of Howard Stern and Weird Al.   ACK!
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 05:54:13 PM

I used to watch him occasionally, but my satellite receiver died recently... Speaking of which, does anyone know what the last DirecTV receiver model was before they added the ridiculous lease fees*?

*(You buy the receiver for the normal price, then they make you pay $10 a month plus you have to send it back to them when you are finished with it.)

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations...  
Jump to: