Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Painter fuming over fine for smoking in own van 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Painter fuming over fine for smoking in own van  (Read 1484 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

on: July 28, 2008, 02:13:50 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:20:19 AM

The fine isn't as bad as being submitted to that headline. 'Painter fuming.' Jesus, someone thought himself hilarious.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:42:16 AM

Is smoking near a bunch of paint cans a smart thing to do?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:00:26 AM

No, but god gave man free will, And Darwin wrote down what happens.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:58:04 AM

Latex paint? Sure. Oil based house paint? Probably, though fumes from the solvents would be troublesome. Any sort of vehicle paint? No.

In high school I worked in a garage with an old mechanic who would weld gas tank punctures, but only if the tank was full. Of gas. He said that the lack of fumes and the large amount of gasoline would keep it from exploding. We also used to shoot gas tanks in the junkyard with an old Model 100 .308 and none of those blew up either.

Making stuff like that catch on fire or explode seems to be a lot harder than generally believed.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:13:24 PM

Making stuff like that catch on fire or explode seems to be a lot harder than generally believed.
This I know, but you only need conditions to be wrong once.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 01:26:53 PM

Latex paint? Sure. Oil based house paint? Probably, though fumes from the solvents would be troublesome. Any sort of vehicle paint? No.

In high school I worked in a garage with an old mechanic who would weld gas tank punctures, but only if the tank was full. Of gas. He said that the lack of fumes and the large amount of gasoline would keep it from exploding. We also used to shoot gas tanks in the junkyard with an old Model 100 .308 and none of those blew up either.

There was a Mythbusters based around this.   

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:12:07 PM

Interestingly enough, and on similar lines, linemen who repair natural gas leaks will weld new pipe directly onto old, or cut into pipe while the gas is flowing inside. They don't turn the gas off before doing so.

It almost never explodes. (The almost part is why the welders make about $100 an hour). In fact, the primary danger is suffocation, since the leaking gas can displace normal air and the welders can easily asphyxiate. Since natural gas requires a very specific mixture to combust (similar to gasoline), it's very difficult to get it to ignite at all, and nearly impossible in a situation where there is too little gas (well ventilated area) or too much (gas leak from a pipe).

In fact, just before the welders start, as a safety precaution, they actually turn UP the gas flowing through the pipe to give the welders a bit of extra safety margin.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:20:13 PM by bhodi »
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 08:21:41 AM

Not a good precedent for smokers who work from home.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Painter fuming over fine for smoking in own van  
Jump to: