Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:01:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Wireless Phone Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wireless Phone Questions  (Read 3171 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

on: July 16, 2008, 05:07:18 PM

The short intro is that my dad recently got his phone a "little" wet while fishing and needs a new phone.  My mom is thinking of dropping our expensive family plan and going to maybe a TrakPhone for herself and get some other plan for dad, who makes a few more calls.  I'd give him my old LG C1500, get on my own plan, and let them sort out whatever they want.  That's probably all irrelavent.

So I want a new phone.  I'm not a power user, probably less than 100 hours and 125 texts a month.  I like obsess over purple and like the RAZR design.  I'm debating between the older V3i in purple and the V3xx in lavender.

V3i (purple) (unlocked)
V3xx (violet) (at&t)

Basically it's between an older and slower quad-band V3i that is unlocked, and the newer tri-band but G3 capable V3xx which requires a two year AT&T contract.  Amazon does have a $45 plan ($40 plus $5 for 200 messages/month) where the phone costs a penny with a new contract.  If I want to buy from Motorola directly they would be $200 and $230 respectively, and the latter still locked to AT&T.  (I can cut a bit off going through questionable third-parties.)

With my dad getting my old phone, I'll probably be picking up a new contract anyways...  If I go through Amazon, the main drawback is I probably won't get to choose my number.  Not sure if that is worth it or not.

Thoughts from those with a little more experience in this realm would be welcome.  (You're welcome to call me an idiot for wanting to pick only between these two.  I'll listen to alternate suggestions, but they'll have to be very persuasive as these phones are purple.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:14:13 PM

Do you travel outside the US often?
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:27:26 PM

I'm not a power user, probably less than 100 hours and 125 texts a month.

100 hours? Wow I'm not sure what plan you have, but it must be expensive.  Ohhhhh, I see.

You should get an iPhone.  Why do you ask?  Cuz.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:33:36 PM

It doesn't come in purple DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Edit: changed to more appropriate smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:56:16 PM by Trippy »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:46:31 PM

Do you travel outside the US often?
No, and it's less likely now that my dad is retired.  My tri-band phone worked in Bangkok, for what it's worth, although my mom's quad had an easier go of it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:50:03 PM

Do you plan on doing data-related stuff on your phone? It looks like the V3i doesn't support 3G while the V3xx does.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:10:52 PM

More than likely I won't need any data plan.  I don't need e-mail that urgently.  I'm not interested in web browsing on a phone (does it even have that capability?).  I don't know of any other use for it, so I don't see why I would.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 09:22:01 PM

Doing web browsing and stuff like that on a Razr is horrible. If you want just a phone, that looks nice (if dated now) get the Razr. You should go check out an iPhone though, they are really cool. I didn't think I wanted one until I spent 20 minutes fooling around with my friends phone.

Also, it really is amazing the amount of times when being able to bring up the web while out can be helpful. I was out helping my same friend look for a new car, and at the dealership we could pull up all the car specs and MSRP and Invoice pricing right there. Probably ended up saving him quite a few cash.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 10:15:24 PM

More than likely I won't need any data plan.  I don't need e-mail that urgently.  I'm not interested in web browsing on a phone (does it even have that capability?).  I don't know of any other use for it, so I don't see why I would.
I'd still go with the new model, the V3xx, since you don't need the quad-band unless for some reason you don't like AT&T. Are you using T-Mobile now?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 07:01:02 AM

Nope, I'm on AT&T currently.  My parents plan, since my mom's all paranoid and wanted me to have a phone on me.

Alright.  I double check my option on the V3xx then.  If I can get it cheap and choose my number, I'll be set.

Doing web browsing and stuff like that on a Razr is horrible. If you want just a phone, that looks nice (if dated now) get the Razr. You should go check out an iPhone though, they are really cool. I didn't think I wanted one until I spent 20 minutes fooling around with my friends phone.
I have.  I'm not interested in the latest fad.  (Only the two year old one. awesome, for real)  I'm also not interested in paying $100 a month for the privilege of a phone I won't use even a portion of.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:27 AM

I'd still go with the new model, the V3xx, since you don't need the quad-band unless for some reason you don't like AT&T. Are you using T-Mobile now?

the other one is cheaper and aren't the 3G features totally useless without a data plan?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:30:30 AM

It's $30 cheaper if I buy the phones direct from Motorola.  I can get the V3xx for the cost of the contract if I go through Amazon, so I save $200, but don't get to pick my number by walking into a brick and mortar.

Going to look into other options now, to make sure there isn't a deal which changes those numbers.  While I have no plans for it, I'm gentle on my stuff, so maybe it will last long enough that I do decide I want the data plan.  Ignoring price, it comes down to a quad-band, unlocked phone versus an updated faster tri-band with data capabilities for future upgrades.  Since I'm unlikely to travel abroad and I'll be sticking with at&t, the bonuses of the 'cheaper' phone don't amount to much.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 04:27:30 PM

A lavender v3xx is on the way. DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Thanks for your help.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Wireless Phone Questions  
Jump to: