Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:37:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Old Dos Game issues 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old Dos Game issues  (Read 3126 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

on: October 25, 2004, 08:53:27 PM

I'm trying to run an old Dos game I remember from the good old days. However, every time I start it I get the following error:

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
Then a few hex numbers and close or ignore buttons.

Now, I've done some research and it seems this NTVDM CPU is used to run 16 bit apps on a 32 bit platform. Have any of you encountered this before? If so, how did you solve it?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 09:38:44 PM

Hmmm...found this on a board:

This one is easy. Select your exe file that you use to install, right click on it and then you'll see "Run in seperate memeroy space" This should be checked.

The NTVDM (NT Virtual Dos Machine) service, is required to run 16 bit applications on your 32 bit OS. It kinda emulates it.

The thing is that Win NT (Or NT based : W2k - XP) kinda screws himself by placing both 16Bit and 32Bit in the same memory alloctions. Wich can cause heavy load filling, thus crashing on you memory adresses.

With "Run in seperate memory" You instruct Win NT or XP or W2K to run it in another memory, forcing him to reserve special place for it, will result in no crashing, and smooth performance ;)

Though I'll be damned if I can find this seperate memory.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 09:41:43 PM

You need DOSBox.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 09:46:45 PM

I'd strongly suggest trying to run the game in question in DosBox (dosbox.sourceforge.net).  DosBox has worked very well for me under Win2K for all but a handful of old DOS games (those for which my current 1 GHz machine is too slow under emulation).  It even works for some of the "lost generation" of DOS games (the last batch of games that came out prior to Win95, that use protected mode, etc).

If that's too slow, you may be able to use VDMSound (sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound) to get DOS sound emulation under Win2K/XP/NT, and even CDROM and joystick emulation.

Both of these have enabled me to continue to enjoy a wide range of old DOS games such as Darklands and MoM with full sound, etc.  They're both free, too.

-Torinak
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 09:52:18 PM

I already have VDM sound. God, I used to love Darklands. I even bought a copy from a site on the net that is allowed to sell it. (so they claim).

I'm going to try DosBox. Thanks guys. I knew a bunch of jaded gamers would have an answer. :)

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 10:18:47 PM

Could never get VDMSound to run well with my funky Creative Live! sound card.

Hmm, Dosbox looks cool, thanks for the linkage.

Some of the really good ol' games from the dos days have actual Windows based emulators built for them now.  Such as Ultima 7 with Exult and also Star Control 2.

Jacob0883
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 10:22:56 PM

Speaking of old Dos games, does anyone have a copy of spycraft lying around?
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 11:39:24 PM

i probably have a fully working 486 kicking around somewhere.  Best DOS Emulator Evar.......

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 05:43:04 AM

Yep, I keep a Pentium 133 with DOS and Windows 95 just to run old DOS  games.

Bruce
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 03:23:55 PM

Don't forget about that McDonalds employee you keep in the basement as well...

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 08:50:56 PM

Quote from: Jacob0883
Speaking of old Dos games, does anyone have a copy of spycraft lying around?

Buy now, if that's what you're after

Just as in the "golden age of RPGs" thread, the "old" in this comment makes me feel... older.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 10:26:44 PM

Well, I never did get the game to work. I did however, in all my investigations find out that it is being released in a collection with 2 other games by the same company all updated to work with modern OSes.

Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 05:52:23 AM

Hm, you guys are making me think about finding an old 486 or P1 to run old games on.  Plus it would be fun to tangle with dos 6.0 again.  Now where did I put those floppies....

Witty banter not included.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 06:51:46 AM

Quote from: Jayce
Hm, you guys are making me think about finding an old 486 or P1 to run old games on.  Plus it would be fun to tangle with dos 6.0 again.  Now where did I put those floppies....

My work still has some we might throw out in the next couple of years.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Old Dos Game issues  
Jump to: